Fiio x3 and Modi 2 Uber/Vali Questions
Mar 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Westie91

New Head-Fier
My name is Dani, and I recently became a member. I do not know much about electronics, so please forgive me if my questions seem simplistic. I currently have Sennheiser HD 700 headphones and a Fiio x3. My questions are:
1. Would it improve the sound if I connect the Fiio x3 to the Modi 2 Uber and Vali?
2. Is the Modi 2 Uber just for computers and only the Vali should be connected to the Fiio x3?
3. How, exactly do I connect the Vali and/or Modi 2 Uber and Vali to the Fiio x3?
4. What is the short cable with one RCA PLUG and one 1/8 " plug (that came with the Fiio x3) used for?

I've scoured the related forums, but I still don't feel comfortable ordering the Schiit amp/ DAC without being clear on what they are used for and how to connect them. These 2 items are sitting in my cart on the Schiit website pending the answer to these questions. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 10
I think the USB output on the X3 is designed to work with a computer. I suspect it would not work with the Modi. Doesn't the X3 require you to install drivers to use it with Windows as a DAC?

However, the X3 has coaxial digital output. You could hook it to DAC that has that kind of input. Look at the Audio-GD NFB-15.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 10
My name is Dani, and I recently became a member. I do not know much about electronics, so please forgive me if my questions seem simplistic. I currently have Sennheiser HD 700 headphones and a Fiio x3. My questions are:
1. Would it improve the sound if I connect the Fiio x3 to the Modi 2 Uber and Vali?
2. Is the Modi 2 Uber just for computers and only the Vali should be connected to the Fiio x3?
3. How, exactly do I connect the Vali and/or Modi 2 Uber and Vali to the Fiio x3?
4. What is the short cable with one RCA PLUG and one 1/8 " plug (that came with the Fiio x3) used for?

I've scoured the related forums, but I still don't feel comfortable ordering the Schiit amp/ DAC without being clear on what they are used for and how to connect them. These 2 items are sitting in my cart on the Schiit website pending the answer to these questions. Any help will be very much appreciated.

I'm guessing using the FiiO X3 as a USB DAC and connecting an external headphone amplifier (Vali?) to the line-output feature on the FiiO X3 would give the best value for the buck.
Otherwise get a Modi and Vali and totally bypass the X3.

For connecting the X3's 3.5mm jack line-output to the RCA inputs on the Vali.
1.5ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5596&seq=1&format=2

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Can the Fiio x3 be the music source instead of a computer? As the music source, can the Fiio x3 use the Modi as its DAC and the Vali as its amplifier? If it can, would the Fiio x3 sound any better using an external DAC and amp or would it sound the same as just using the Fiio x3 by itself with headphones?

What I 'm trying to understand is if the Modi 2 Uber/Vali combo is only intended to enhance the quality of music on a computer. Or, is it also meant to enhance the quality of music coming from a source other than a computer? In this case, the source would be the Fiio x3.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 10
You should ask here if you want to see if the X3 USB output would work with the Modi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Can the Fiio x3 be the music source instead of a computer? As the music source, can the Fiio x3 use the Modi as its DAC and the Vali as its amplifier? If it can, would the Fiio X3 sound any better using an external DAC and amp or would it sound the same as just using the Fiio x3 by itself with headphones?

What I 'm trying to understand is if the Modi 2 Uber/Vali combo is only intended to enhance the quality of music on a computer. Or, is it also meant to enhance the quality of music coming from a source other than a computer? In this case, the source would be the Fiio x3.

The FiiO X3 has a S/PDIF coaxial output, which could be connected to an external DAC that has a coaxial input.
Are there better external DACs then the DAC feature built into the X3, I'm sure there is.
But why even use the X3's coaxial port
Just hook up the external DAC to the computer's USB or optical or coaxial ports, play the music files from the computer (use the program Foobar2000).

Guess you could say that the computer as a source or the FiiO X3 as a source, audio will sound the same, when the external DAC (Modi) and a coaxial connection is used.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 10
Thank you for your help, cel4145 and PurpleAngel. The problem is that I won't have access to a computer for awhile. That's why I'm asking if I connect the Modi 2 Uber to the Vali,
can I then connect the Fiio 3x or a CD player to the Modi/Vali instead of a computer?

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 10
If the X3 is your source, then you don't need the Modi.

I would do this:

X3 Lineout Jack (3.5mm jack on the bottom of the X3) -> 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable -> Vali RCA Input jacks -> headphone

Use the Modi+Vali for your PC, use only the Vali for your X3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back