FiiO X1 vs FiiO Q1?
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pauliunas

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a portable source. I know these 2 are from totally different categories, but I can just connect Q1 to my smartphone (via USB), that makes no problem for me... From the first look, the Q1 is the best option, but here's a thing:
The X1 was the cheapest reasonable portable source I could ever find (including both a DAC and an AMP). I only didn't count low-res DAC's as I want 24bit support. However, the Q1 is even cheaper - by a jaw-dropping 30%. Like that wasn't enough, it's a much more versatile device as you can hook it to anything with a USB or 3.5mm port.
So I wanted to ask you guys: Is the X1 so much better that I should actually pay 40 euros more? Can the Q1 at least compete with it? I would be using it in DAC mode with a smartphone.
Has anyone tried using it as a DAC versus connecting to X1 as an amp?

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Lucky guys!
wink_face.gif

In my view, both are great in terms of sound quality and price/performance ratio. The important thing here is these are different devices with different purposes and your preferences will play a key role at the moment of picking one or the other.

The FiiO X1 is an all in one device, it has a screen and it was designed in such a way that you can browse your music, set the volume and tweak the sound to your liking with ease. Portability is top notch here.

The FiiO Q1 is a USB DAC/Amp, it's more powerful than the X1 and can work as an external soundcard for laptops and desktop computers just like the X3II and X5II.

If you don't care about having two devices hooked up, and you don't care about the smartphone's less minimalistic user interface, and you don't care that the FiiO Q1 might not work as a DAC with some smartphones, then the FiiO Q1 is the way to go, it's also a solid upgrade for Laptops' audio.

On the other hand, if portability is the main priority the FiiO X1 is surely a wiser pick.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Iknow this should be in a different topic but I cant find the proper thread for this. How about combining Ipod nano 7th gen with Fiio Q1. Is it a sound advice? I'm planning to use the set-up with my Monster Inspiration can and some other headphone in the future like B and W P7 or P9 or ATH M50x. Thanks for your reply in advance.

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Iknow this should be in a different topic but I cant find the proper thread for this. How about combining Ipod nano 7th gen with Fiio Q1. Is it a sound advice? I'm planning to use the set-up with my Monster Inspiration can and some other headphone in the future like B and W P7 or P9 or ATH M50x. Thanks for your reply in advance.

As far as I know you can not use the DAC stage in the Q1 when connected to the iPod Nano, so you can save a few bucks and get the FiiO A3 instead which is a little bit more powerful than the Q1 and it's just an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back