Fiio X1 + Topping NX1
Feb 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sennlord

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've been already have Topping NX1. A few day ago I bought Fiio X1 as my starting point DAP.

Anyone here use X1 + NX1? Should I use X1 with NX1 or just sell the NX1 (if X1's amp is more than enough than NX1). Btw I use ATH M20X for headphone.
Thanks..

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 13
Try it and see which you like better since you have (or will have) them. Your personal experience trumps what anyone here could tell you :)

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 13
Try it and see which you like better since you have (or will have) them. Your personal experience trumps what anyone here could tell you
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks mate! :D Just want to know other's opinions. Sometimes I feel better when use with NX1. But I don't know it's true or just 'placebo effect'. LOL.. So if somebody has tried pairing X1 with NX1 (or who know something technical about this) and has opinion, please share with me. :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 13
Hi,
I use my Fiio X1 with the NX1 and I really like it. Altough the sound differences may not be "night and day", they're pretty noticeable to me.
When I use them paired, I noticed a very good improvement in the soundstage, it becomes a bit larger, more airy and defined. The whole sound improves in all regions.
I use a Custom Elpis 3 and a Astrotec AX35, with the custom the changes are more noticeable, and with the AX35 the main improvement is the soundstage.
I use the topping in high gain, with a 75ohm impedance adaptor (which REALLY changes the sound to me) because my ciem is really sensitive. I do recommend you to try one of these adaptors, they can really surprise you!
For me it is not just placebo!

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 13
  Hi,
I use my Fiio X1 with the NX1 and I really like it. Altough the sound differences may not be "night and day", they're pretty noticeable to me.
When I use them paired, I noticed a very good improvement in the soundstage, it becomes a bit larger, more airy and defined. The whole sound improves in all regions.
I use a Custom Elpis 3 and a Astrotec AX35, with the custom the changes are more noticeable, and with the AX35 the main improvement is the soundstage.
I use the topping in high gain, with a 75ohm impedance adaptor (which REALLY changes the sound to me) because my ciem is really sensitive. I do recommend you to try one of these adaptors, they can really surprise you!
For me it is not just placebo!

Completely agreed - the sound is different with NX1!

It is a warmer and has more bass.Better soundstage I can't confirm. Sorry.

I use this with RHA MA750 inEars (standard earpieces).The gain is set to high, volume is set to about 70-80% (leads to nearly same sound level as without NX1).

The only thing I don't like is the rig-building with the rubberbands. You can't place them nicely.

But in total, this is an amazing combination - and look at the price!!!!!

Cheers,
Carsten.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 13
I just got my NX1 today, to pair with my FiiO X1.  It was immediately obvious to me that the sound feels much fuller, yet without a bleak density that smothers the highs.  It just feels more exciting, with significantly more snap and punch to various percussion instruments.  Initial impressions are quite good and I hope it sounds even better after a week or two's use.

Just curious, Primelpott: why would you use the rubber bands instead of the five small Velcro pads to adhere your DAP to your amp?  I think the Velcro was a kickass inclusion on Topping's part.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 13

Just curious, Primelpott: why would you use the rubber bands instead of the five small Velcro pads to adhere your DAP to your amp?  I think the Velcro was a kickass inclusion on Topping's part.

Hm, I used them before on my iPhone, but was never happy about ruining the beauty of the devices ... :)
On  iPhone i can use a case to glue the pads on - so you don't have these pads, when you don't use the NX1.
But where is a good-looking case for the X1?

Cheers!

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 13

Hm, I used them before on my iPhone, but was never happy about ruining the beauty of the devices ... :)
On  iPhone i can use a case to glue the pads on - so you don't have these pads, when you don't use the NX1.
But where is a good-looking case for the X1?

Cheers!

There are many cases for the X1; check Amazon.

It even comes with a silicone-rubber sleeve.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Hey, I'm currently using Fiio X1 with Topping NX2... there is a definite difference as it gives the music more punch and a tad more clarity. Can anyone compare the NX2 with the Fiio E10k? I'm wondering if there is much point in upgrading? Although I do see it doubles as a DAC which might improve my Realtek sound card on my laptop.

I use Grado sr80es and occasionally Sennheiser HD 25 iis.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 13
Hey, I'm currently using Fiio X1 with Topping NX2... there is a definite difference as it gives the music more punch and a tad more clarity. Can anyone compare the NX2 with the Fiio E10k? I'm wondering if there is much point in upgrading? Although I do see it doubles as a DAC which might improve my Realtek sound card on my laptop.

I use Grado sr80es and occasionally Sennheiser HD 25 iis.

Fiio e10k has much more power on reserve than the nx2.
Moreover, Fiio designed the e10k to pair with the X1 as a budget solution to drive desktop cans off the X1.

If you're satisfied with the nx2, stick with it; the e10k isn't ideal for fleshing out the capabilities of high end hard to drive headphones (unlike the 2 models you mentioned you have) nor will it provide a performance upgrade to the NX2 for the headphones you're driving. It would be best to save your money for something a few steps up the performance ladder in the future once you've grown your home headphone collection.

Never used the NX2 in the DAC capacity, so I can't comment there.

PS: Make sure the "more punch" you're hearing isn't simply higher volume. Protect your hearing so you can enjoy hifi for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back