Fiio X1 impressions
Sep 23, 2014 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

phillipwareham

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I live in Guangzhou, not far from where Fiio are based, so my order from a local Taobao store was very quick. I'll post photos first and then comment on more when I've had a play with it. My new 64gb Kingston class 10 microsd hasn't arrived yet, so I put in an old 2gb card and formatted it via the X1 system menu, then copied files across to it with the USB cable. First impressions are good. It came nicely packaged in a silicon sleeve, with a screen protector applied and two spares. It also has three sets of transfers with the US flag, a wooden pattern, and a black carbon fibre look. Apart from that, there was a USB cable, warranty note, and quick start guide.The box had a verification code that I just checked on the fiio website. That'll be useful once fakes appear. The microsd I'm using is on old (definitely not class 10) one, and updating the library with the fifteen tracks I added (flac and mp3) took no more than 2-3 seconds, so I consider that a positive sign that other people's library issues may not be repeated.
   As for sound, I left my havi b3 pro at work today when I came home for lunch. I didn't think I'd have it already. With my JVC HA500S and Xiaomi pistons it sounds good. I'm new to the audiophile world, so I don't want to mimic people's reviews and give a false impression that I know what I'm talking about. I'll just say that it's noticeably better than my Xiaomi 2s phone and the ELE DAC I use with my laptop, and leave it there for now.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 21
It was 648rmb. It's the same on all taobao stores. The first one put it up for 699 and then immediately lowered it to match the others! That's exactly 100USD or 65GBP. Plus 184rmb for the 64gb microsd card. With that, it doesn't seem quite so cheap, but I'm happy up to now. My phone only had 16gb and was full of music that I can now clear off, so it's monstrous by comparison.

Thanks Stuart and Wokei. I plugged in the havi b3 pro 1 and it sounds much better. I think budget players should be compared with phones and the likes of the clip+, because that's what people are coming from. It seems like a big step up from my phone.

Thanks for creating the thread. Sub'ed.

How much was it?

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #10 of 21
Didn't I include everything already? Whadaya want pics of? :)

The transfers are six pieces. Front, back, and scrawny pieces for the sides. They're marked where you can remove bits over buttons and holes.

More pics please ....sure lookin good .....woot woot ....those transfers are for the back n front ?

Oops..what me meant..more pics when you do apply those transfer ..cheers

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 21
I didn't put it on entirely straight, and one corner is already frayed a little from going in and out of my pocket or not being stuck on right. They'll be cheap to replace and are not meant to last forever. Still like the look!
A couple more observations:
On the sound, the main thing I'm noticing is clarity and the absence of unwanted noise. Using havi b3 pro with it, I can turn it up pretty high without it being fatiguing, seemingly because the sound coming from this pairing is so clean. I had the volume up to 70, which higher than other people said, but it was uncomfortable at 75, so there's no danger of it being inadequate.
The library updates at a rate of about 100 tracks per second. 57gb was 10000 tracks and took 3~4 minutes. It took an hour to copy this much onto the card and because it's most of my library it won't be changed often, so i can't complain.
the key lock is easy to use, but the ability to selectively disable it seems to be mostly for desk use. in my pocket cycling to work the centre button was continually pressed, pausing the track. this isn't a big deal.
the player seems very easy to use and i like the menu system. it's less hassle than my phone by far, with it's swipe~pattern lock and the need to navigate to the player app to change anything.i like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back