FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Sep 8, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,866 of 3,121
I'm tempted to sell mine and get another option, despite not using the FiiO very much to begin with. The laggy interface is a huge issue though, drives me up the wall any time I wanna actually use the thing. The problem is finding a different one at around the price I paid, which was around $150. There's the Shanling M1, but I've heard it doesn't sound as good as the X1II, and the Cayin N3 is around $200 here in Canada. Got any other suggestions? (PM works fine if you'd like)

I'd like to sell mine too but who would buy it? The Cayin N3 seems to be the best option I've seen but yes it is $200 CDN.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,871 of 3,121
Awhile back FiiO was trying to say they never said gapless was supported before a certain firmware update that allowed it. I looked all over the internet and found an old image of their product description before FiiO edited it, and... lo and behold, they did indeed say it (Like I thought I did when I bought the X1 II), fully advertised it, and then edited their sales pages and descriptions after the fact when it took a long time to add the feature. Pretty insane

@FiiO Do you see how many people in this thread bought the X1 II for its gapless play capability? You misled us into spending $100. How are you going to make this up to the people who are now stuck with a player that has totally let them down?

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,872 of 3,121
@FiiO Do you see how many people in this thread bought the X1 II for its gapless play capability? You misled us into spending $100. How are you going to make this up to the people who are now stuck with a player that has totally let them down?

I'd like to know that too. I didn't buy the thing for gapless myself, but it sure as hell wasn't good enough when I got it over half a year ago. It took till the update that smoothed out scrolling, sped up re-scans, and overall improved UI responsiveness for me to tolerate the thing. Even then it's unresponsive enough I couldn't even use it for D&D, something that doesn't require extremely fast response time. It still cuts off songs sometimes too, so I dunno anymore. I was disappointed when I bought it, and I now have a M1 on the way as of this morning. At least that one has support, an update having come out just a few weeks ago. FiiO? I doubt the X1II is gonna be updated again for a long time, if at all

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #2,874 of 3,121
Dear friends,

Acutally, we have tried adding the gapless feature since the X3 1st gen. Because of kinds of reasons such as the limitation of source and supplier, we are still using the same SoC chip for both X1 st gen and X1 2nd gen currently. And we did try adding some new features in the X1 2nd gen such as Bluetooth, in-vehicle mode. However, it is indeed too difficult to realize the support of gapless for the lossy formats(MP3 or AAC formats) because of the limitation of the SoC chip. According to our understanding, most products with the same chip don't even have the gapless feature. We believe that we can solve this issue after replacing the chip.
Please accept our sincere apology if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 12, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,875 of 3,121
Dear friends,

Acutally, we have tried adding the gapless feature since the X3 1st gen. Because of kinds of reasons such as the limitation of source and supplier, we are still using the same SoC chip for both X1 st gen and X1 2nd gen currently. And we did try adding some new features in the X1 2nd gen such as Bluetooth, in-vehicle mode. However, it is indeed too difficult to realize the support of gapless for the lossy formats(MP3 or AAC formats) because of the limitation of the SoC chip. According to our understanding, most products with the same chip don't even have the gapless feature. We believe that we can solve this issue after replacing the chip.

Best regards

@FiiO So the X1 2nd Gen, which was advertised as offering gapless, will never offer gapless.

If you are sincerely apologetic for this false advertising, you can offer a full refund for the product or replace it with a player that does support gapless. Nothing else is acceptable.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #2,876 of 3,121
Dear friends,

Best regards

This does not make sense. I have the original X1 - playing it right now actually listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in aac256. It is completely gapless. The exact same recording (swapping cards) on the X1ii results in a very small micro gap. If the SoC is basically identical - then you can solve this.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #2,877 of 3,121
Just checked their website and they have removed gapless playback from the X1II page. Glad to know they've been falsely advertising this DAP for how long? Crooked is what it is. This just further shows how bad their way of doing business is. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've lost confidence in FiiO.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #2,878 of 3,121
Just checked their website and they have removed gapless playback from the X1II page. Glad to know they've been falsely advertising this DAP for how long? Crooked is what it is. This just further shows how bad their way of doing business is. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've lost confidence in FiiO.
So have I. Firstly, they advertised gapless before it was even implemented, then they changed it to "to be added in firmware update", to now removing it off the website altogether. After people have already bought it. The X1-II is already a massive letdown in comparison to their competitors in similar price ranges, and now they've given me even more reason not to support their anti-consumer practices. Apologies don't fix this type of behaviour - actions do. What a disappointment FiiO.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #2,879 of 3,121
Well I'm pretty sure the SoC can handle it - so don't give up yet fellas.

With aac256 (currently) the gap is micro small - I barely notice it. With FLAC there is no gap. Not sure about MP3. And I don't honestly think they do this deliberately. I do think that because they're so eager to please the hundreds of requests they get for features etc, they sometimes end up breaking things.

I will agree that the X1ii is a let down speed wise though (too laggy). But remember the price of this thing. I mean HifiMan just dropped their MegaMini down recently. it doesn't have the build quality, sound is on par, lacks most features, and they charge $150 for it. So lets keep a bit of perspective.

@Jayden16 - which competitors in same price range?

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,880 of 3,121
Well I'm pretty sure the SoC can handle it - so don't give up yet fellas.

With aac256 (currently) the gap is micro small - I barely notice it. With FLAC there is no gap. Not sure about MP3. And I don't honestly think they do this deliberately. I do think that because they're so eager to please the hundreds of requests they get for features etc, they sometimes end up breaking things.

I will agree that the X1ii is a let down speed wise though (too laggy). But remember the price of this thing. I mean HifiMan just dropped their MegaMini down recently. it doesn't have the build quality, sound is on par, lacks most features, and they charge $150 for it. So lets keep a bit of perspective.

@Jayden16 - which competitors in same price range?
The X1-II was $160 (I live in Australia) when I bought it, and the Cayin N3 is around ~$180 here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back