FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Dec 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,501 of 3,121

​Perhaps a more powerful processor along with better QC could have prevented much of this?  It should be forbidden to use customers as Beta Testers unless you are going to compensate them some how.   Regardless, I am still waiting for FiiO to get right with those that bought the X1-II.  It is that or purchase a fApple iPod Nano.  I am far too unfamiliar with the many DAPs out there to being looking a other makes and since I lost my last iPod Nano, I really do not trust myself with a DAP costing hundreds of dollars.

Or more. 

*SHUDDER*

And no,  my not wanting to buy from fApple  is not the end of the world, I just prefer not to give those folks any of my  money right now.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,502 of 3,121
Can you point me to the post where FiiO promised they'd fix this?

Here's one of a few references.  (FWIW, I love having the click function and it works fine for me.)

Quote:
  Hi, zaero69
1. In order to add a more stable gapless function, we are still improving it. We will try to add it in the later firmware as soon as possible. Sorry if bringing inconvenience.
2. Thank you for your feedback of the accelerated function, we will take into consideration and try to add it if most users want.
3. If the click sound comes from the headphones as well, it may bother the current playing music. In order to bring more user experience, we may not add this function to the X1II. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,504 of 3,121
  Dear Alan
Thank you for your kind feedback to us.
Could you please tell us that does your X1II freezes everytime you choose which funtion from system setting? Could you please try to reset the media library and do a factory restorage to see whether it helps?
We are still improving the firmware and we will try to add the gapless function as soon as possible.
Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.
Best regards 

Hi,

Thank you for replying to my post. I can only remember two specific occasions where the X1 II froze (although there may have been one more that I'm not recalling):

1. Browsing through the options menu when I first turned on the device while looking for the option to change the language (from its default of Chinese to English). Unfortunately, as I can't read Chinese, I'm not sure which menu option I selected that caused this first freeze.

2. Immediately after upgrading the FW1.4.1, I went to the options menu again and tried selecting the "About" menu option to verify that the upgrade was successful. The X1 II froze before displaying that screen of information and required being shut down. (Please note that I performed a factory reset after this, just to see if it helped. I haven't seen another freeze since performing this factory reset--although it's now only been about a day or so.)

In regard to the Bluetooth issue with my Honda CR-V, I capture photos of the HondaLink display, as well as the options on my X1 II and am happy to share them if you like. Again, the Honda system did initially find the device and added it to the list of Bluetooth devices to pair with, but every attempt at selecting it for use failed on both sides (the X1 II and the HondaLink Bluetooth connection menu).

The gapless playback on the original X1 worked flawlessly too (with the same audio files as well), so I really hope that it won't be too difficult to make the same functionality work the way it should on the X1 II very soon. (I have dozens of albums that I absolutely can't stand listening to without the gapless playback functioning properly.)

Take care and thanks again for your help,

Alan

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,505 of 3,121

Hi,

Thank you for replying to my post. I can only remember two specific occasions where the X1 II froze (although there may have been one more that I'm not recalling):

Alan

Dear Alan
Thank you for sharing the detailed information with us. We will try to test and see whether we can reproduce the issue you said.
For the bluetooth issue, we are still trying to improve it. The engineers are working for that day and night. You need to use your Bluetooth device to search the X1II but not the X1II to search your Bluetooth device and can't pair successfully, right? 
Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you. We are now working hard to improve the Bluetooth function. When there is new progress, we will inform you once!
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 5, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #1,506 of 3,121
I'm interested in getting one of these for myself for Christmas, but am a bit concerned over some of the negative comments such as the poor bluetooth and freezing.

What's the current feeling forumites ? Buy now and expect/ hope they get it fixed or stick with proven technology and get the original X1 ?

I doubt that I'd use the bluetooth much, but would rate it as a 'nice to have'.

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,507 of 3,121
  I'm interested in getting one of these for myself for Christmas, but am a bit concerned over some of the negative comments such as the poor bluetooth and freezing.

What's the current feeling forumites ? Buy now and expect/ hope they get it fixed or stick with proven technology and get the original X1 ?

I doubt that I'd use the bluetooth much, but would rate it as a 'nice to have'.

I'm really happy with it, mind you it's might have something to do with the way I use DAPs. I run everything with playlists so I have no issues with file browsing and such. Sounds quality is pretty good too!

There are issues which don't bother me all that much but to some people they may be deal breakers.

Playlists - I figured out how to create playlists in a few minutes, but a lot of people can't figure it out. It's not as intuitive or easy as, say, an iPod or Walkman. I strongly recommend using MusicBee to sync your files.

Bluetooth - It does not prompt for a pairing code, so if I want to pair it with my car, I'd need to enter a code of 1234 into my X1ii to allow pairing, except that the X1ii has no such functionality.

Gapless - There's a fade in/fade out option which simply doesn't seem to work.

Clicks and pops - Whenever it changes from one track to another, the X1ii clicks. Mind you, not while playing the track, but only before the file starts to play.

Lag - The interface is not snappy. There's a lag when changing from one track to another, so you can't quickly jump from one track to the next. There's about one second delay. I don't mind as going back to browse through the playlist is quick and painless (for me at least).

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,508 of 3,121
  Dear Alan
Thank you for sharing the detailed information with us. We will try to test and see whether we can reproduce the issue you said.
For the bluetooth issue, we are still trying to improve it. The engineers are working for that day and night. You need to use your Bluetooth device to search the X1II but not the X1II to search your Bluetooth device and can't pair successfully, right? 
Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you. We are now working hard to improve the Bluetooth function. When there is new progress, we will inform you once!
Best regards

Hi again,

Thanks for the follow-up note. While it would be nice to be able to use the control screen on my CR-V to search through my X1 II and select songs, I don't really need that feature. I simply want to be able to play audio from the X1 II through my CR-V audio system via Bluetooth. (The CR-V has no 3.5 mm aux input so there's no other way for me to make the connection.)

Again, just to clarify the behavior of the problem:

1. My CR-V sees the "FiiO X1 II" and allows me to add it as a new Bluetooth device.
2. When I actually try to select the "FiiO X1 II" for listening, however, the connection attempts and eventually fails with the CR-V's audio system displaying an "Unable to connect ..." message.

I hope this helps and hoping to hear news of progress on these issues soon.

Take care and thanks again for your assistance,

Alan

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,509 of 3,121
Thanks Killcomic. In fairness they do sound like deal breakers to me. The clicking and file browsing would drive me mental. I reckon I'd better sit and wait or else buy the original X1 or maybe even the Xduoo.

The only thing that puts me of the Xduoo is that it looks like it was designed by an six year old. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,512 of 3,121

I'm really happy with it, mind you it's might have something to do with the way I use DAPs. I run everything with playlists so I have no issues with file browsing and such. Sounds quality is pretty good too!

There are issues which don't bother me all that much but to some people they may be deal breakers.

Playlists - I figured out how to create playlists in a few minutes, but a lot of people can't figure it out. It's not as intuitive or easy as, say, an iPod or Walkman. I strongly recommend using MusicBee to sync your files.

Bluetooth - It does not prompt for a pairing code, so if I want to pair it with my car, I'd need to enter a code of 1234 into my X1ii to allow pairing, except that the X1ii has no such functionality.

Gapless - There's a fade in/fade out option which simply doesn't seem to work.

Clicks and pops - Whenever it changes from one track to another, the X1ii clicks. Mind you, not while playing the track, but only before the file starts to play.

Lag - The interface is not snappy. There's a lag when changing from one track to another, so you can't quickly jump from one track to the next. There's about one second delay. I don't mind as going back to browse through the playlist is quick and painless (for me at least).

Would you say it's convinient to navigate through FiiO X1 II if i prefer to use folder sctructure and not use playlists? Is there an option to navigate into an artist folder, then select an album folder and play it?

I don't use bluethooth at all and i don't really use gapless playback. The only thing that i'm afraid of are clicks and lag. Do you think it's possible to fix it with firmware? It would be great if the FiiO guy could explain this, but I think FiiO representative can't promise such things. I'm curious if the hardware is just weak or the software is lacking. 

I have a birthday coming up and i want to buy myself an mp3 player, FiiO X1 II is my first choice but there is too much negative feedback. Second choice is probably Sony NWZ-A15. Sorry to bomb you with questions, but do you find your FiiO portable? Isn't it too bulky?

Thanks Killcomic. In fairness they do sound like deal breakers to me. The clicking and file browsing would drive me mental. I reckon I'd better sit and wait or else buy the original X1 or maybe even the Xduoo.

The only thing that puts me of the Xduoo is that it looks like it was designed by an six year old. 

I was considering myself a Xduoo X3. I was so hyped when i found out that i can Rockbox it. But there are too many reviews where users report broken units after 1-3 months. Warranty is non-exsistent. So i'm afraid to buy something like that. At least i can get FiiO from official FiiO Shop where i live.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,513 of 3,121
I bought one of these a week or so ago. I was excited to be able to play music in the car without having to deal with cd's all over the place. I've not really been able to use it enough to say if I like it or not. As far as the unit itself goes, I quite like it but he wheel control is way too sensitive. It would be nice to be able to get a decent protective case to put it in at some point.

First time I tired it, it hooked up via bluetooth to my kenwood dpx501bt without any issues and I thought things were looking good. Since that first time, I've yet to get it to connect properly again. I've looked on the kenwood forums to see if it's a known issue with my head unit and downloaded and updated both the OS and the bluetooth settings. I keep getting the display Aud Disconnect and it's driving me bonkers. I thought it might be a clash as my iphone connects to the head unit for making calls and I wear a suunto traverse that connects to the iphone.

I decided to give up on bluetooth and try just using a line in. My wife got me a headphone to headphone cable and while it works, it's way too strong of a signal going through and distorts it. I've tried the unit set on headphone and line out. I set the line out to be -6db thinking that would be the lowest setting and it's awful.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #1,514 of 3,121
I'm not certain, but the phone might be connecting via Bluetooth so that you can't actually connect a second device. That is one of the pains of using Bluetooth. Only one device at a time, so that connection might be useless in a car. You are using a handsfree phone, which these days is pretty important.

If the line out is too loud (which is also a bit odd) then go from the headphone out but just lower the volume. Seems there might be some kind of mismatch if the lineout is too loud since most lineouts give out roughly the same voltage.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #1,515 of 3,121
Thanks for the reply. You're probably right about the bluetooth thing but the first time I had it connected and working, I also had the phone with me in the car and bluetooth was on. Thinking about it again, I might have only had the phone paired to my suunto which would explain why it worked.

I'll try again with the headphone cable if I can't get the bluetooth figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back