FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Nov 8, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,216 of 3,121
This device sounds treble leaning with no special attention to the low end. EQ yields limited results. Original X5 sounded balanced even a touch warm. This unit does not IMO.

Pink Floyd
Steely Dan
2pac
(so far)

Feeling a treble shimmer but no impact

No impact? That's not what I hear. The bass is not as emphasised as the generation 1 - I feel like that's a good thing because I always found it to be a bit bassy masking details for my tastes. The second gen fixes it with its smooth balanced sound with some warmth and more details.
I think maybe you are used to bass heavy stuff, that's why the player sounds like that to your ears or something is wrong with the player.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #1,217 of 3,121
I think the X1II has more bass than the X3II because I've noticed some of my IEMs sound more bassy than with the X3II. I like the sound and I don't find the extra bass to be too much so maybe the X3II is more neutral sounding but I think I prefer the X1II sound. More bass but the details are still there.

Same impressions. Though I still find the X3 II to be superior because it is a bit more detailed and also smooth sounding just like the X1. The bass is a bit tighter with lesser impact compared to the X1. The difference is little though.

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #1,218 of 3,121
Same impressions. Though I still find the X3 II to be superior because it is a bit more detailed and also smooth sounding just like the X1. The bass is a bit tighter with lesser impact compared to the X1. The difference is little though.

I'd say the only real advantage the X3II has over the X1II is it has a more powerful amp but for IEMs the X1II seems fine.

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,222 of 3,121
Have to say I bought one and I am very dissapointed by it.

Not so much on the sound, but the working of the device. It took 20 seconds to skip a song when pushed the skip button. Then there's the background which should show you the album cover of the record playing. In my case it seemed to be selecting randomly covers, not matching with the song it's playing (and also not being late because of the lacking skip time I mentioned above). And don't get me started about the time it needs to update  the library! I thought the Sansa Clip was bad with updating library, but this FiiO is even worse.

Returned the damn thing.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,223 of 3,121
  Have to say I bought one and I am very dissapointed by it.

Not so much on the sound, but the working of the device. It took 20 seconds to skip a song when pushed the skip button. Then there's the background which should show you the album cover of the record playing. In my case it seemed to be selecting randomly covers, not matching with the song it's playing (and also not being late because of the lacking skip time I mentioned above). And don't get me started about the time it needs to update  the library! I thought the Sansa Clip was bad with updating library, but this FiiO is even worse.

Returned the damn thing.

This is something everyone who purchased one has experienced. FiiO is working on the firmware to to improve the performance. Did you update to the latest firmware? I guess it doesn't matter since you returned it. It still needs improvement but it's useable.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,224 of 3,121

This is something everyone who purchased one has experienced. FiiO is working on the firmware to to improve the performance. Did you update to the latest firmware? I guess it doesn't matter since you returned it. It still needs improvement but it's useable.

It doesn't matter.  People are only willing to put up with so much.  Regardless of FiiO trying to fix it.  People want things to work right out of the box as advertised.  The X1II isn't capable of doing that right now and whether or not a person has the patience to wait for the fix is up to them.  Between this DAP and the X7, FiiO has their hands full trying to fix devices which is sad.  I'd imagine more effort is being put into the X7 since it's the top device.  These things hurt them and their brand and pushes consumers away.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,225 of 3,121
We are also assuming that there is a fix, where there might not be. Some are willing to wait and see if there is while others won't. In a way, I wish I'd returned mine. Then if a fix for the card scanning was found, I might consider buying another one then.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,226 of 3,121
  It doesn't matter.  People are only willing to put up with so much.  Regardless of FiiO trying to fix it.  People want things to work right out of the box as advertised.  The X1II isn't capable of doing that right now and whether or not a person has the patience to wait for the fix is up to them.  Between this DAP and the X7, FiiO has their hands full trying to fix devices which is sad.  I'd imagine more effort is being put into the X7 since it's the top device.  These things hurt them and their brand and pushes consumers away.

People want everything in life to be perfect. Unfortunately very few things in life are perfect, or even very good. Those who are impatient and don't care about blutooth could buy the original X1. If their budget is under $100 they might be able to buy and Xduoo X3 at under $100, although even with Rockbox it isn't perfect, and battery life is less than the original X1. I might buy the X1(II) this year if there is a nice sale on it for black Friday. Otherwise I will probably buy it next year(perhaps if it on sale for president's day?).

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,227 of 3,121

​You're quite right if you ask me.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,228 of 3,121

People want everything in life to be perfect. Unfortunately very few things in life are perfect, or even very good. Those who are impatient and don't care about blutooth could buy the original X1. If their budget is under $100 they might be able to buy and Xduoo X3 at under $100, although even with Rockbox it isn't perfect, and battery life is less than the original X1. I might buy the X1(II) this year if there is a nice sale on it for black Friday. Otherwise I will probably buy it next year(perhaps if it on sale for president's day?).

I didn't say perfect, I said work as advertised.  You offer other great choices, but people don't want last years model, they want the latest and greatest.  That's great if you're willing to buy an X1II, but if they can't get it working as advertised, then what's the point?  You risk losing money if it turns out to be  dud, but there's no way of knowing at this point.  I think it's best to wait, but it's your money.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,229 of 3,121
We are also assuming that there is a fix, where there might not be. Some are willing to wait and see if there is while others won't. In a way, I wish I'd returned mine. Then if a fix for the card scanning was found, I might consider buying another one then.

This is very true because there is no way of knowing at this point if they can fix everything.  Granted, FiiO has a decent track record with previous DAPs, but this is a whole new animal compared to previous models.  If they can't, then you're stuck with it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back