FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Oct 30, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,111 of 3,121
  Because the Rockbox license would require FiiO to release the source code. Which means it's fair game for iBasso, xDuoo, whoever to use after FiiO dumps loads of $$$ into it. 

And last I checked Rockbox downsamples anything over 16-bit. Some people (like me) don't care about that, but that's not exactly a feature in this hobby to be proud of. 

That's also incorrect. Rockbox uses the GNU General Public License. This allows you to use the code as a base for proprietary software. The GNU license doesn't cover any code that you write with the GNU licensed software as a base. I can name several proprietary software products which are based off of open source software. (Even in these forums, there are several devices using proprietary versions of the open source Android, which is common, there are tons of non-AOSP projects based off of the Android Open Source Project, I've worked with a very expensive and not at all open source CMS that is based off of Dotnetnuke, IBM had Lotus Symphony, based off of Open Office, the list goes on and on)

Also, I believe that Rockbox does still downsample. But so does Android, doesn't stop someone who is modifying it from removing that restriction. 

What Rockbox would do is give Fiio a stable base from which to work. Much like they (and others) have done with Android. But for devices that don't connect to things like Wifi, it makes more sense to me that you start with Rockbox as your base. Would take more work from a UX design perspective, but a design overhaul should be relatively easy. What you would have is something that can easily run on hardware with a lot less power. 

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,112 of 3,121

It might suck now but I'm sure FiiO will get the bugs out. The main thing for me is speed up the device and bring gapless playback to it.

I'm happy with my X1-II due to good sound and the splendid touch wheel.  I'll look forward to the addition of gapless and eventual firmware updates, but the little thing serves its purpose and cost a measly hundred bucks.  If the Lotoo Paw Gold came out of the box with deficiencies, I would certainly be more unforgiving.  In fact, when my Lotoo Paw Gold arrived there was no wall charger and I made the distributor send me one within 24hrs as I questioned whether what they'd sold me was actually new.  They assured me it was.  I definitely think the uninitiated might have issue with the X1-II if this is their first DAP and they're buying it as an Apple replacement.  In that case the sound becomes secondary to their expectation.  The sleek look and touch wheel gives the impression of a consummate product, but fixes are still forthcoming.  I'm glad I applied the already available firmware update before first use.

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #1,114 of 3,121
  You are naming products that don't use the strict GPL. For example, Android uses a different license (Apache) that allows the many proprietary derivatives to exist. There is a reason why so few projects use the GPL nowadays.

EDIT: Woops, you're right, the GPL in its current iteration would require them to post source. I stand corrected. 

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,115 of 3,121

I'm happy with my X1-II due to good sound and the splendid touch wheel.  I'll look forward to the addition of gapless and eventual firmware updates, but the little thing serves its purpose and cost a measly hundred bucks.  If the Lotoo Paw Gold came out of the boss with deficiencies, I would certainly be more unforgiving.  In fact, when my unit arrived there was no wall charger and I made the distributor send me one within 24hrs as I questioned whether what they'd sold me was actually new.  They assured me it was.  I definitely think the uninitiated might have issue with the X1-II if this is their first DAP and they're buying it as an Apple replacement.  In that case the sound becomes secondary to their expectation.  The sleek look and touch wheel gives the impression of a consummate product, but fixes are still forthcoming.  I'm glad I applied the already available firmware update before first use.

Fiio players don't come with a wall charger. Fiio assumes you already have a charger for your cell phone.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #1,117 of 3,121

Hi, dear
You can download the complete manual for X1II from dropbox now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3zv862oadmq78o/X1II%20User%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

Have you guys ever considered using the very lightweight and music focused Rockbox as a base OS for a device? I've always thought that with some effort in to customizing it, you could get a pretty solid UI on top of what is a stable and lightweight OS designed around playing music. 

Hi, reginalb
Thank you for your feedback. We will take into consideration of the Rockbox.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 30, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #1,118 of 3,121
Rockbox is great. It has so many features and settings. I have been using Rockbox for a few years. My favorite Rockbox features are the on the go playlists you can make on the player itself, and add an album at a time, or all the songs by an artist at one time to a playlist that is in the process of play. I also like the very adjustable crossfeed, which makes headphone listening sound much more like speaker listening by mixing part of the opposite channel into each ear with a delay and at a lower volume. The size of the delat and the reduction in volume are adjustable. Almost all recordings are made with the intention to be played over speakers so that each ear hears both channels. with headphones this doesn't occur unless crossfeed is implemented. There are a relatively small number of binaural recodings available, which use a dummy head with mics at the ears of the dummy, which are intended to be played using headphones. I also love the Rockbox feature of variable speed playback with pitch correction, so that I can listen to podcasts or lectures at 1.4 or 1.5 times the normal speed, and still have the speaker's voice sound natural, and not like a chipmunk. Of course being able to choose from many themes of what is displayed on the screen and how it is displayed is great.

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,119 of 3,121
  [Mod Comment]

Can we please get this thread back to discussion about the X1ii.  This side shot around batteries has been done to death.  If anyone wants to go on discussing it - please start a dedicated thread.

You could argue that everything about the X1II and every other DAP on this site for that matter gets discussed to death so why not batteries 
biggrin.gif
  I see your point but battery life is a consideration with every portable audio product sold so it is pretty hard to get around it.  For me it is a deciding factor in which DAP I choose among others things so I discuss it.  But to avoid further admonishments I will drop the subject.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #1,120 of 3,121
FiiO, I don't understand why you set the price in 119 € in my country (Spain, Europe). Especially when the launch price was 109 €. This is a very awful movement to customers.

Maybe when the device will be stable, will you go up to 129 €???

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #1,123 of 3,121

I'm happy with my X1-II due to good sound and the splendid touch wheel.  I'll look forward to the addition of gapless and eventual firmware updates, but the little thing serves its purpose and cost a measly hundred bucks.  If the Lotoo Paw Gold came out of the box with deficiencies, I would certainly be more unforgiving.  In fact, when my Lotoo Paw Gold arrived there was no wall charger and I made the distributor send me one within 24hrs as I questioned whether what they'd sold me was actually new.  They assured me it was.  I definitely think the uninitiated might have issue with the X1-II if this is their first DAP and they're buying it as an Apple replacement.  In that case the sound becomes secondary to their expectation.  The sleek look and touch wheel gives the impression of a consummate product, but fixes are still forthcoming.  I'm glad I applied the already available firmware update before first use.

I agree it does sound good and the price is very good. When the firmware updates come this will be a fantastic little player.

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #1,125 of 3,121

We will take into consideration of the Rockbox.

That would be great! Meanwhile, the Rockbox developers community could help you if you provided the source code of the firmware of the X1ii. It contains a lot of GPL-covered software (Linux, udev, bluez, mplayer) and you MUST release the source code of those components to comply with the license. It would be also great if you provided technical assistance (documentation at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back