FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Oct 21, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #931 of 3,121

I was initially satisfied buying the M3 in November even though I knew there  were firmware bugs. I became unhappy though when March arrived, and the M3 firmware still didn't work adequately. It is now almost November, 11 months since I bought the M3, and they still don't have firmware for it that will play the songs in order by track number. Now some people may become wary of buying a Fiio player knowing the firmware isn't perfected, hoping a good version will be available within three months. I might buy the X1 V2 if there is a large black Friday discount on it. Otherwise i will probably wait until the firmware is perfected before buying it.

I'll refer you to the M3 thread for my thoughts on it as not to derail this thread.  FiiO has said they were disappointed with how the M3 turned out so they must not be happy about it either.  I learned from the M3 to wait and not jump on a "newly released" FiiO DAP.  As I've said before, many of these issues and/or bugs could have been found in one day testing in-house and addressed before releasing to the public.  It's obvious to me the device doesn't work as advertised, yet they continue to advertise it as if it does.  Everyone that owns one in this thread has reported an issue.  As a company, especially one that manufactures and sells electronics must test their products before giving it to their customers.  I bet there is some mild chaos at FiiO right now scrambling to fix this stuff and those software writers are working overtime, yet in reality they could have already did all of this a long time ago during development/prototyping and I don't buy the answer they gave that they can't do this stuff.  I've got a few other DAPs so I have no issues waiting this out before purchasing, but I'm following it very closely.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #932 of 3,121
Might pay to qualify this - there are 5 reviews up and 2 are 1 star.

And I'm disappointed in this release too.  I've been patiently waiting for a decent fw update to address some of the bugs before I review it.  My patience is wearing thin though.  I wouldn't pay for it in its current state.

Sorry. You are quite right...... I hadn't seen the numbers. For some reason, I thought there were 50 reviews, so I take that comment back since it was unfair.

I'm not happy with its issues though and hope that updates don't go along similar lines to my also written off m3.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #933 of 3,121
  Hi, csglinux
Could you please tell us the TF card you are using and send us some music files play at double speed? We are trying to reproduce that problem and fix it. Thank you in advance.

I'm using a 200 Gb SanDisk Ultra TF card, formatted as exFAT. It works fine on my X7 and actually works fine on my X1ii 99% of the time. I only have this issue intermittently when waking the X1ii from sleep. Most of the time it's fine, but every now and then, after waking from sleep, the X1ii plays all my music at double speed.  Most of my material is 44/16 FLAC, but it seems to do this with everything.  (I'll pm you an example.)  Thanks for looking into this.

BTW, has nobody else had this problem? It's very noticeable!

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #934 of 3,121
I'm on Mac and i believe foobar is a Win app. I use an adapter with the microsd on my computer but it is still slower than if the file was on a computer HD. I use Amadeus Pro to batch convert and all my FiiO's X5ii, X3 and X1ii sometimes will not show a cover unless a cover.png is in the folder, so I always include a cover in the folder. 
I any case it's a pain the A** to have to do these conversions. iPhone doesn't have a problem with ALAC on bluetooth.

All my files are ALAC, And I have no problems over Bluetooth. I've been using Poikosoft Ez CD Audio Converter for years.
Of course you still might have to re-rip all your stuff if the ripper you use doesn't work.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #935 of 3,121
FiiO - I've got another request...

On the newest X7 FW, when the screen is off, we can continuously change the volume by holding the volume up/down buttons. 

On the X1ii, when the screen is off, when I hold the volume up/down, it jumps tracks :frowning2: Could there be at least an option so that the volume buttons will operate as, you know, volume buttons? It would be nice to be able to press and hold the volume buttons, rather having to be constantly tapping them. After all, there are lockscreen modes that already let users jump tracks with the screen off using the (more logical) rewind and forward buttons on the front of the player.

Thanks for considering this!

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #936 of 3,121
All my files are ALAC, And I have no problems over Bluetooth. I've been using Poikosoft Ez CD Audio Converter for years.
Of course you still might have to re-rip all your stuff if the ripper you use doesn't work.

The reason I was having a problem playing ALAC files on bluetooth was the files were 24bit > 48k and they are not supported. I converted them to 24bit 44k and they play okey. And the problem of album covers not always being displayed was the size of the cover in the metadata, some were over 600 and they will not display, I changed them to 600 and that solved that.

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #937 of 3,121
  The problem for me isn't the obvious bugs as such - its the incompleteness of it.

1. Bluetooth which is patchy and very weak as far as signal goes
  2. UI which is really, really, REALLY slow
  3. Scanning which half the time does not work.  I have 6500 AAC tracks which is my normal library.  Its read by every other FiiO device. This one keeps getting jammed, and it's because the scanning is so slow. I've even formatted cards in the X1ii and its no better.

I don't mind waiting for a few bugs to be fixed.  But in its current form, I can't even get the X1ii to go half the time (ie it won't finish scanning).  And its not my card or the files. Its the device.

Thanks for the feedback, I keep coming back to what seems to be a deficiency in the hardware.  It simply doesn't seem to be powerful enough to run this new OS.  Fiio should be able to make some speed improvements through firmware and possibly some tweaks to the OS to optimize performance.  But again this points to a wait and watch approach to see what Fiio is able to do to actually turn this into a complete product.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #938 of 3,121
The fact that @Brooko has given some negative comments and expressed his frustration says A LOT. He seems to be far more, ermmm, diplomatic and reserved in that regard than most of us.

I agree, I wouldn't buy it in it's current state..yet I did. Over the weekend I let my mom try out the DX80 that I'm reviewing (which I will be buying for myself) and she couldn't believe how immersed she felt in the music. She was about to travel (next day) and I said to her to try the X1. She agreed she didn't hear the same clarity, but that it was better than her phone (LG G3) could hope to be, so I bought the X1 for her. 

But in all honesty, if we weren't pressed for time, I would've gotten her something else instead. Will wait until she gets back to hear her thoughts on actually using the device rather than just listening to it. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #939 of 3,121
  FiiO - I've got another request...

On the newest X7 FW, when the screen is off, we can continuously change the volume by holding the volume up/down buttons. 

On the X1ii, when the screen is off, when I hold the volume up/down, it jumps tracks :frowning2: Could there be at least an option so that the volume buttons will operate as, you know, volume buttons? It would be nice to be able to press and hold the volume buttons, rather having to be constantly tapping them. After all, there are lockscreen modes that already let users jump tracks with the screen off using the (more logical) rewind and forward buttons on the front of the player.

Thanks for considering this!

Hi, csglinux
We wants to make that function be consitent to X1 at first. But we will consider changing that function if most users think it necessary. Thank you for your kind feedback. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 22, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #940 of 3,121

Might pay to qualify this - there are 5 reviews up and 2 are 1 star.

And I'm disappointed in this release too.  I've been patiently waiting for a decent fw update to address some of the bugs before I review it.  My patience is wearing thin though.  I wouldn't pay for it in its current state.

I had high hopes for the X1II but it just fails in so many areas that I returned mine and went back to using my X3II.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #942 of 3,121

​Using my 2nd Gen iPod 20 gig and my 60 gig iPod Classic now.  My son is enjoying the X1 and apparently there are no "Rose Gold" 2nd Gen X1s available yet.  A local Fry's has the 1st Gen X1 in black, silver or gold and if I missed mine that much I could always buy one of those.  I've owned my two iPods for 10 to 14 or so years now so I am not in a rush.

Hopefully FiiO will have all this sorted out soon for current owners.

https://www.amazon.com/Resolution-Lossless-Music-Player-Generation/dp/B01LX0VI1G/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1477153880&sr=8-31&keywords=fiio

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #945 of 3,121
I’m having a problem with playing a track on bluetooth after X1ii power up.
I power up my wireless headphones then power up X1ii (in order as was recommended by FiiO).
The headphones connect and the X1ii starts playing the track last played (I see the counter is moving) but there is no sound from the headphones. I must select a different track before I get sound from the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back