FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Oct 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #796 of 3,121

I don't consider the Fiios to be unreliable or unstable and as far as I'm concerned how much easier can a DAP to use? It's a basic music player. I've had it for 4 days and no problems. The battery life could be better but then you'd have to use a weaker amp section like the sony - that's why the battery has a shorter life. I considered the A17 a long time ago but it felt cheap to me...maybe if it had been in the $150 range.

I am glad to hear it is working well for you but you can't speak to long term reliability after only 4 days.  If you still report that it is reliable in 6 months then that will be something measurable.

I was worried initially when I got the A17 because it is so small and my hands are really big.  But having dropped it probably a couple of dozen times it is still going strong.  I am actually glad that the back is plastic and not aluminum as it would be dented to heck by now if it was aluminum.  I have it in a hard plastic case now and it is velcroed to my Fiio Q1 and since both get around 30 hours battery life they make a great match and sound really good together.  But I digress

I certainly agree that in this price range the X1 II is probably overall the best option.  But my budget is $300ish so that puts me in range for probably the X3 III or A35.  I was looking at the Xduoo X3 at one point but the battery life and the slow pitch issue made me hold off.

One thing I do try to avoid with any DAP I buy is purchasing from the first release batch.  Typically manufacturers will make tweaks to build quality once they have a chance to evaluate the first batch.  Of course they will also come with a new firmware version.  I would imagine depending on sales that the second batch would come out sometime early next year and I can afford to wait. By then the X1 II should be well patched with firmware updates and could be worth a serious look.  I found this to be true with my A17 which I first bought in October 2014 and sent in for battery replacement at 20 months (battery life dropped below 50%) as recommended by Sony.  Sony actually sent me a new unit and the fit and finish on the replacement was definitely better and it even sounded better to.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #797 of 3,121
I rarely update the media library because I don't need to.  I'll probably end up with one of these when some of the bugs are ironed out.  I just want the Bluetooth to work so I can use it to workout and the lag issue to be addressed.  Also the gapless playback fixed.  When that happens, I'll pull the trigger on one.  I'm glad FiiO chimed in about their release practices, but these issues that are being brought up could have been caught during their testing in house.  These aren't random bugs, they're consistent issues everyone is having.  All it would have taken is for one person listening at the office to notice gapless isn't working, or the UI is lagging worse than it should, or that Bluetooth is cutting in and out.  I'll leave it at that and I think this will be a great little DAP once ironed out.

I agree. If the little annoyances get sorted, then it would be a bargain buy. The media update is quite important to me. I often go into 'genre' and set it to play random files. You can't do this without doing a card read which is PAINFULLY slow. I'm not sure that a simple update will fix this either unfortunately.

The unit takes a bit longer to boot up if you leave Bluetooth on as well. I keep it off unless I intend to use it and then switch it off at the end to speed the next turn on up.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #798 of 3,121
  I am glad to hear it is working well for you but you can't speak to long term reliability after only 4 days.  If you still report that it is reliable in 6 months then that will be something measurable.

I was worried initially when I got the A17 because it is so small and my hands are really big.  But having dropped it probably a couple of dozen times it is still going strong.  I am actually glad that the back is plastic and not aluminum as it would be dented to heck by now if it was aluminum.  I have it in a hard plastic case now and it is velcroed to my Fiio Q1 and since both get around 30 hours battery life they make a great match and sound really good together.  But I digress

I certainly agree that in this price range the X1 II is probably overall the best option.  But my budget is $300ish so that puts me in range for probably the X3 III or A35.  I was looking at the Xduoo X3 at one point but the battery life and the slow pitch issue made me hold off.

One thing I do try to avoid with any DAP I buy is purchasing from the first release batch.  Typically manufacturers will make tweaks to build quality once they have a chance to evaluate the first batch.  Of course they will also come with a new firmware version.  I would imagine depending on sales that the second batch would come out sometime early next year and I can afford to wait. By then the X1 II should be well patched with firmware updates and could be worth a serious look.  I found this to be true with my A17 which I first bought in October 2014 and sent in for battery replacement at 20 months (battery life dropped below 50%) as recommended by Sony.  Sony actually sent me a new unit and the fit and finish on the replacement was definitely better and it even sounded better to.

Well no I can't say the X1 II is reliable after 4 days (I assume it will be or hope it will) I was more referring to Fiio products in general or the ones I own being and having been reliable. In a way I wish I had been able to hold off buying one from the first batch because like you said they tend to refine them more in the second batch and on but I wanted it and I can't say I regret buying it.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #799 of 3,121
So, can't find anything about the screen. Did you try it outside in the sunlight ? Is it the same as the other X1/X3/X5 (i.e. difficult to read) ?

Also I would like to ask about SQ versus the X3-II Is it similar or is it the X3-II still better?

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #800 of 3,121

Well no I can't say the X1 II is reliable after 4 days (I assume it will be or hope it will) I was more referring to Fiio products in general or the ones I own being and having been reliable. In a way I wish I had been able to hold off buying one from the first batch because like you said they tend to refine them more in the second batch and on but I wanted it and I can't say I regret buying it.

Generally I agree with reliability of Fiio products but I have an issue with my E07K as it stopped holding a charge just after a year and now I use it strictly with my computer being powered via USB.  I am loving my Q1 and after several months no complaints at all and my E11 and E11K were fine right up until I sold them to get the Q1.

Some report the X1 II seems sluggish, do you find this to be true?  I am curious as to whether the new Linux based OS is more demanding on the hardware vs the old Micro OS which could be contributing to the sluggishness. I wonder how much that can be improved with firmware updates. If this in fact the case I hope a more powerful X3 III would overcome it.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #802 of 3,121
I love my Fiio X1II.
I'm an album guy. I listen from the first song to the last. It's perfect.
I was thinking about numbering the albums by release year so they sort that way.

The requests I'd like to make is regarding Bluetooth connectivity in my Toyota.

I'd like the discreet play/pause function. I can press play and it will cycle play,pause,play,etc.. pause also cycles play,pause,play,etc.
Powering off the radio, or the car, does not pause the X1II. I have to wake it up and pause it. The iPad and iPhone, and Samsung galaxy will respond to the discreet commands.

My car screen shows connected only. I don't see the album,artist,song, and genre on the screen. The iPad and iPhone, and Samsung galaxy will display all that.

The way the volume works and sound quality over Bluetooth is super awesome.

Next time, X1III, integrate qi charging as the car has qi charging built in.

Great job. I am also excited about getting the T3 transport.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #803 of 3,121
Some report the X1 II seems sluggish, do you find this to be true?  I am curious as to whether the new Linux based OS is more demanding on the hardware vs the old Micro OS which could be contributing to the sluggishness. I wonder how much that can be improved with firmware updates. If this in fact the case I hope a more powerful X3 III would overcome it.

If the new X3 uses the same os and my X1 doesn't speed up on card reading, then I won't bother with the X3. If it's not easily fixed via updates then there might well be a problem further up the line as well.

While I understand that it's not possible to debug everything, I feel that a slight delay in the release of the X1 in order to get the obvious flaws wouldn't have hurt. Trouble is that companies can get nervous of rivals overtaking them, but to release a bit too early can be damagjng too.

Quite a few of my internet friends have said that they will hold off for a year. That's lost sales due to similar things going on in the old daps. Had this one been free of obvious things, once word went round there would be a rush on sales and confvidence restored as far as these people go.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #804 of 3,121
To help with slow library updates, I wand to share a hint. I always use file browsing on all devices.

All my files are organized as:

Code:
 {FIRST_LETTER_ALBUM_ARTIST} / {ALBUM_ARTIST} /   {YEAR}-{ALBUM_NAME}[-{VOLUME#} /   {TRACK#}-{TRACK NAME}-{ARTIST NAME}

This covers almost everything, including compilations, multi-volume disks, finding things via file search (on mac/windows etc) and also allows for having thousands of folders on one device without killing it's browsing abilities.

Oct 18, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #805 of 3,121
Yes, I use file browsing most of the time if I want to play one particular album.

The problem appears when you want to play random files from a genre. To do that, you have to scan the card......

Oct 18, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #806 of 3,121
Yeah, I understand.

For that I have playlists. But this is a professional deformation for being a (former) pro-dj :) I have to control everything (mood, speed, song affinities etc). Shuffling on a "genre" is too rough on me :)

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #807 of 3,121
Hi,

So I was playing with it in the shop today and it was great for the price. I bought one for the "In Vehicle Mode" capability, changed the settings accordingly, went to my car and what I got after booting up and a big Fiio logo was the message "In Vehicle Mode Enabled" but I can't do anything else. I recall somewhere someone saying how to reset the device but now I can't find it.

Does anyone know how to reset the device and does anyone know exactly what steps are necessary for "In Vehicle Mode"?

Thanks

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #808 of 3,121
  Generally I agree with reliability of Fiio products but I have an issue with my E07K as it stopped holding a charge just after a year and now I use it strictly with my computer being powered via USB.  I am loving my Q1 and after several months no complaints at all and my E11 and E11K were fine right up until I sold them to get the Q1.

It is definitely sluggish and I don't know either if that can be fixed with a fw update or not. I remember with the old X3 how slow it was updating the media library but they were able to fix that with fw updates and it became as fast as the current X3 model so maybe they can speed it up I don't know.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #809 of 3,121
  Hi,

So I was playing with it in the shop today and it was great for the price. I bought one for the "In Vehicle Mode" capability, changed the settings accordingly, went to my car and what I got after booting up and a big Fiio logo was the message "In Vehicle Mode Enabled" but I can't do anything else. I recall somewhere someone saying how to reset the device but now I can't find it.

Does anyone know how to reset the device and does anyone know exactly what steps are necessary for "In Vehicle Mode"?

Thanks

Hi, georgelai57
Maybe you can read this post for help: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41636&extra=page%3D1

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 18, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #810 of 3,121
  Hi, georgelai57
Maybe you can read this post for help: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41636&extra=page%3D1

Hi James,

I read that before I bought the player this afternoon here in Singapore.

But after enabling "In Vehicle Mode" it has now frozen as I have explained in my original post and I cannot reset it. I found that if I hold the power button for more than 10 seconds it powers off but on powering on, the same three screens - Hello, Fiio Logo, In Vehicle Mode - appear again. How do I reset to factory settings?

For the record, I am on FW 1.20

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back