FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Apr 22, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,536 of 3,121
The benefit would be in decoding speed and general snapiness of the device. The whole device will work faster without having to read art every time it opens a file, but this will vary with the amount of music you have as well. 

There will be an advantage if using an external amp - you get more battery life :gs1000smile:

Interesting. So would things be better if I just removed all idtag data completely?

As I said, I generally busy browse by folder anyway and all my files are organised album artist/album/00 - title.mp3

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,538 of 3,121
Interesting. So would things be better if I just removed all idtag data completely?

As I said, I generally busy browse by folder anyway and all my files are organised album artist/album/00 - title.mp3

I've personally not tried removing all ID tags and song art, but personally, on my memory card, I find that the load time is within tolerable limits. At least, it doesnt lag as much as when loading DSD files on my CU, and the song starts within a second or two at most post selecting it from the folder. 

But, I recognize that different people have different demands. That said, removing ID tags means losing that pretty album cover on the display window while the song is playing. Granted, the image is very pixelated, but, its still way better than a boring black background 
tongue.gif

Note, that this is on the out of box stock firmware. I've not updated the firmware. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,539 of 3,121
Hi everyone, this is my first message on Head-Fi, and i have read (here and elsewhere on the Internet) some speed issues (interface apparently too slow) with the fiio x1 II, so i was hesitant about buying this player.

That fiio x1 2nd  was my first choice (as the x1 1st gen isn't sold in France anymore) but i was reluctant with the issues mentioned by people using that x1 2nd, so i was gonna chance my first choice towards the Hidizs ap60.

I have a voucher that has to be used before the end of the month (so one week left), so i have to make my choice : i come from an iPod 5G (from september 2006 which died last month after another fall in the ground, i guess it was the death point even though it kept saying "very low battery with the sad face thing)" so i like the wheel system a lot and i prefer physical buttons over tactile systems.

The ap60 seemed great value for money (possibility to use as a DAC, apt-x bluetooth, light and small, even though the x1 2nd would be slightly smaller than my old iPod 5G so it wouldn't be too big) but the sound and the build quality seemed better (at least that's what i read about the Fiio x1 2nd).

My main criterias to make my decision are sound quality and great user experience : the system has to be reactive and as i said i prefere wheel + physical buttons over the tactile, but if the fiio isn't reactive enough (slow to switch between songs, to start a song, to navigate through folders, to update library) i would definitely rather have a tactile system that works better obviously.
Being able to use the ap60 as a DAC is a +, but i mostly want a good DAP.

So if you have any advice to help me making my choice, you're welcome.
But also i look forward to hear you fiio x1 II users your reviews/feedbacks on that last 1.6.0 firmware to know if the x1 2nd is clearly user friendly now (not being slow as people said it was with the previous firmwares, the wheel being apparently not accurate and "skipping" positions, etc)

Thanks for your help and this website, and sorry for the english mistakes my text may have (english is not my native language).

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,543 of 3,121
I've only just downloaded 1.6 so can't really comment at the moment. However prior to this I was happy with my purchase, mainly due to sound reproduction, i find it outstanding. I listen to most my music on random playback all tracks so I don't fully utilize the other functions. Personally very pleased with the product.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #2,544 of 3,121
If anyone has download issues I have mirrored FW 1.6: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5j8gt6lkjs4gxx/X1II.fw?dl=0 
Servers this time quite fast so the source is: http://www.fiio.net/en/story/552

Can't wait to update once I'm back! :wink:

Update: yeah it isn't blazing fast but yes it's faster than before! @FiiO just two small things I noticed:

1) Press to click doesn't work when X1 II powers on to in-car mode from sleep (if in-car mode from power off mode it is ok)
2) It should be "Recently Added Tracks" not "Devices" in Categories :wink:

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #2,545 of 3,121
The DAP scans MUCH faster (5 minutes for 12.3k songs I think, as opposed to 45 minutes?) and the scrolling is waaaaaaaayyyy smoother. It's maybe a touch slower, but it at least scrolls smoothly. VERY nice changes. Pausing seems to be really responsive for once as well. They did a number on the OS, it actually runs.

It still takes awhile for my entire library to appear when choosing the "Album/Artist" categories, and then an album afterwards. It's a second or so faster, but it's still too slow to not be cumbersome (Which forces me to browse via file, which is fine, but doesn't look nearly as clean). Kinda bummed about that part. But at the very least, I don't dread the idea of trying to use the thing, so that's an improvement! Nice work guys. Dunno if we have a fix for that last issue of mine though, I just assume 12,300 songs is simply too much to compile swiftly on the X1 II

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #2,546 of 3,121
I'm now running FW 1.6 and I can confirm like others, that the UI is faster and that Gapless while wired works perfectly.

Though, forgive my ignorance.  Should Gapless work while using Bluetooth?  Because for me, it does not.

Wired:  Gapless Flawless.

Bluetooth:  Gapless, has a hiccup. 

--

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #2,547 of 3,121
Same here. Gap less by bt isn't quite right. It's like it cuts the last or first fraction of a second off the song.

Having said that, it might be the headphones, as I'm about to return them anyway because they also cut out when I'm running. Sony xb80bs by the way. Supposedly a sports headphone, but they cut out when it move lol.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #2,548 of 3,121
Most of my biggest complaints have been solved with this update. I'm glad they finally got gapless playback working, better late than never. The scanning is much faster, and I've mostly switched to folder browsing now anyway. If they can just fix the HO/LO bug that I came across the other day so I don't risk destroying my eardrums, I'll be extremely happy to recommend this player. Nice work, FiiO!

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,549 of 3,121
  Most of my biggest complaints have been solved with this update. I'm glad they finally got gapless playback working, better late than never. The scanning is much faster, and I've mostly switched to folder browsing now anyway. If they can just fix the HO/LO bug that I came across the other day so I don't risk destroying my eardrums, I'll be extremely happy to recommend this player. Nice work, FiiO!

Doesn't LO have adjustable volume on X1ii? 

I actually once plugged ie800 in the line out of X5ii, but happily I had the adjustable line out engaged and at a low volume so it didn't blow me or ie800 up 
redface.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,550 of 3,121

Doesn't LO have adjustable volume on X1ii? 

I actually once plugged ie800 in the line out of X5ii, but happily I had the adjustable line out engaged and at a low volume so it didn't blow me or ie800 up 
redface.gif

It is adjustable unless you choose fixed-level.

For me I use fixed-level at -3db as my home stereo needs a bit more juice than the adjustable one, which is quite soft compared to the fixed-level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back