[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,621 of 2,559
Thank you for confirming and clarifying this matter!

Personally, I am very happy with the 2 pairs of the UTWS5 I own. I used to listen with aptX Adaptive and it was great, now listening with LHDC, sounds even better!

Looking forward to the next firmware update :)
hope we get a new firmware update soon

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,622 of 2,559
Does it default to aptx adaptive on mi pad too?
so i checked and with mipad 5 it goes back to lhcd. After turning off bluetooth ang going back or puting utws 5 to their box and closing and connecting back it always goes to lhcd. So mipad 5 somehow works differently than mi phones i tested. Also it works with 900, kbsp or at least it stays on this settings so dont know how to understand fiio claims their utws5 is only max 500/600 kbps capable at the moment. Why i see differently with mi pad 5. Mi pad 5 + Utws5 somehow likes each other :) Could it be because mi pad has miu global 13.06 latest from what i tested.

Sep 22, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #1,623 of 2,559
Sorry if it's been discussed previously, but have 2 questions regarding these.
1. How heavy are they on the ears?
2. Can phone calls be taken through these? Assuming these ear hooks have microphones?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #1,624 of 2,559
I just received my Fiio UTWS5 from local distributor today, old version tho. Upgraded to v1.42 fw and using it with Xiaomi 12S Ultra supports both aptX Adaptive (the phone will show Snapdragon Sound logo) and LHDC. Its nice, but encounter this one weird bug when UTWS5 gone crazy and output random interference noise at loud volume when I randomly tapped the right hook button to try play/pause. Restart the earhook and dont have that anymore yet. But keep that in mind in case you encounter it :p
Also one more thing to keep in mind: default aptX Adaptive setting will be 48KHz 24bit. You can try to change it to 96Khz 24bit to get a lil bit more sound quality, if you have a phone that supports it (Snapdragon 888 and up). Working fine in that mode.
With LHDC, like other reports before me it can only run at 500/560Kbps, no 900Kbps.
Some technical question to @FiiO : Can you tell us what bitrate of aptX Adaptive codec the UTWS5 is using? Is it 420Kbps or 860Kbps? Do you plan to upgrade it to aptX Lossless (~1Mbps) in the future?
Also I would love to be a beta firmware tester if you want.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #1,626 of 2,559
Sorry if it's been discussed previously, but have 2 questions regarding these.
1. How heavy are they on the ears?
2. Can phone calls be taken through these? Assuming these ear hooks have microphones?
1. These are very light on the ears. I can even wear them (improperly) with non-over-ear earbuds (YMMV).
2. Yes, but not great quality for phone calls.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,627 of 2,559
I just received my Fiio UTWS5 from local distributor today, old version tho. Upgraded to v1.42 fw and using it with Xiaomi 12S Ultra supports both aptX Adaptive (the phone will show Snapdragon Sound logo) and LHDC. Its nice, but encounter this one weird bug when UTWS5 gone crazy and output random interference noise at loud volume when I randomly tapped the right hook button to try play/pause. Restart the earhook and dont have that anymore yet. But keep that in mind in case you encounter it :p
Also one more thing to keep in mind: default aptX Adaptive setting will be 48KHz 24bit. You can try to change it to 96Khz 24bit to get a lil bit more sound quality, if you have a phone that supports it (Snapdragon 888 and up). Working fine in that mode.
With LHDC, like other reports before me it can only run at 500/560Kbps, no 900Kbps.
Some technical question to @FiiO : Can you tell us what bitrate of aptX Adaptive codec the UTWS5 is using? Is it 420Kbps or 860Kbps? Do you plan to upgrade it to aptX Lossless (~1Mbps) in the future?
Also I would love to be a beta firmware tester if you want.
Looks like i found out what made that horrible noise i encountered. Apparently on my unit the mic is busted. I tried to answer a call and the other side told me after the call that they cant heard anything except that horrible noise. So yep, warranty time :frowning2:
Sad to see such low quality control on a new item i bought just 2 days ago.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #1,628 of 2,559
Thank you for this! I've checked with my POCO F2 PRO (Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 5G (7 nm+)) and I confirm that I cannot set it to 96kHz/24bit. It always defaults to 48/24. I would feel better if I was aware of these details prior to investing in 2 pairs of the UTWS5. It would not change my decision. as I am using one pair with the HOOK-X to listen to music from my phone and the other pair with my Timeless to watch movies from my laptop, and it is super convenient for me in both use cases. But it would feel good to know. Sorry for what happened with your pair. You are absolutely right about FiiO's low quality control... One thing I fail to perceive is, how come and no other company has not offered anything similar, yet ?😕😕?

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #1,629 of 2,559
Thank you for this! I've checked with my POCO F2 PRO (Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 5G (7 nm+)) and I confirm that I cannot set it to 96kHz/24bit. It always defaults to 48/24. I would feel better if I was aware of these details prior to investing in 2 pairs of the UTWS5. It would not change my decision. as I am using one pair with the HOOK-X to listen to music from my phone and the other pair with my Timeless to watch movies from my laptop, and it is super convenient for me in both use cases. But it would feel good to know. Sorry for what happened with your pair. You are absolutely right about FiiO's low quality control... One thing I fail to perceive is, how come and no other company has not offered anything similar, yet ?😕😕?
I also had an Poco F2 Pro before upgrade to my current 12S Ultra and I can explain why your phone cant "support" 96/24. It's because Xiaomi/Qualcomm disabled "aptX Adaptive r2.1" feature for 96/24, and the phone only officially support "aptX Adaptive r2.0" spec (48/24). If you have root on your phone I can show you a way to enable r2.1 unoffically (no guarantee on that will work flawlessly or not).
I also discovered you can uses LHDC codec on non-LHDC-supported device via a hack: install Savitech's BTHDPlayer app (for Apple devices) or Savitech's Hi-Res BT Player app (Android, not on the Play Store due to unknown reason). Supports only local music playback, no streaming services support. Savitech is the original developer of LHDC codec.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #1,631 of 2,559
I also had an Poco F2 Pro before upgrade to my current 12S Ultra and I can explain why your phone cant "support" 96/24. It's because Xiaomi/Qualcomm disabled "aptX Adaptive r2.1" feature for 96/24, and the phone only officially support "aptX Adaptive r2.0" spec (48/24). If you have root on your phone I can show you a way to enable r2.1 unoffically (no guarantee on that will work flawlessly or not).
I also discovered you can uses LHDC codec on non-LHDC-supported device via a hack: install Savitech's BTHDPlayer app (for Apple devices) or Savitech's Hi-Res BT Player app (Android, not on the Play Store due to unknown reason). Supports only local music playback, no streaming services support. Savitech is the original developer of LHDC codec.
Why have they disabled it? Was it not working properly? My phone is not rooted but thanks anyway :)

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #1,633 of 2,559
U menya takže bysl Poco F2 Pro do obnovlenia do moego tekustego 12S Ultra, i ya mogu obdänit, počemu vavest telefon «может». Это с помощью тема, что Xiaomi / Qualcomm отключила функцию «aptX Adaptive r2.1» для 96/24, а телефон только «aptX» поде. ЕСТЬ корень на вашем телефон, я могу прокать вам способ ( бет.
Я так, как правило, так и есть, не положено, - LHDC -, че: установит приложение BTDlayer Savitech ( усть устройст Apple ) или приложенье Hi - Res BT Player ( Android, не в Play Store по неэстному>. Поддеревьето колько локальноэ воспорозвенье музыки, поддерожка потоковских сервисов отсуства. Савитеч явяэця оригиналным разработчиком кодека НРС.
Greetings! Please tell us how to enable the "aptX Adaptive r2.1" function for 96/24. Phone Poco X3 Pro, MIUI 12.5.7. Rooted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back