[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Apr 1, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,126 of 2,559
... i have had a lot of connection issues with the UTWS5, so i dont use them very much.
Unfortunate.

My experience has been the opposite. For example, this morning, when I took my UTWS5/IT07s out of the case and put them in, music started playing the minute I tapped once to un-pause on my FiiO M15.

And that's been a pretty consistent experience for me. If I turn Bluetooth off on my iPhone, or on my M15, and turn BT on on the other, they connect immediately, every time. To be clear, I've only had them a week, so not a large sample to analyze, but still, 0% trouble ... so far.

Lucky me I guess :)

Especially great after my Melomania Touch fiasco (that was charging, not connecting, but still, unusable).

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,127 of 2,559
@FiiO , @FiiO Willson , I am using the latest 1.4 firmware on my UTWS5 together with FiiO Control v2.8

A few things:

1. Even though I am on the latest firmware, the app will still offer a new firmware update and re-download and re-install 1.4 over the same firmware, over OTA (online upgrade)
2. What is this menu which does not show anything and drops down for a few seconds, each time I start the app?
3. UTWS5 defaults to aptX Adaptive. I need to enable LHDC each time I start playing music + I need to go into Developer Settings to set it to a fixed (max) bitrare
4. There is still this battery charging level inconsistency.

Can you take care of any of the above, please?

Thank you

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #1,128 of 2,559
Made a head-fi account just for this thread basically. Just wanted to leave some thoughts here.

I've used the UTWS 3 previously and upgraded to the 5 recently. They sound great, though I am not even close to getting full potential out of them, as my Pixel 6 Pro supports neither aptx Adaptive nor LHDC (I've been considering getting a cheap Chinese phone just for music lately..).

I still want to mention how grateful I am for this kind of product, and for the FiiO employees that are around to listen to user feedback and answer questions. Probably the reason I made this account, so I can engage in some of the conversation on here.

Also, I've got a few adapters from AliExpress to help me connect two of my favorites, and I wanted to leave some pictures here to maybe help some others with their IEM setup.

For my Katos, I've got angled 2 Pin adapters, which I even prefer over the OE Audio angled adapters, because the angle is a little less aggressive and the adapters have pretty much the exact same thinkness as the arms of the UTWS5. For anyone using 2 pin IEMs without recessed sockets (Moondrop Variations for example), the adapters should also be available in a shorter variant.

Now, I've seen someone asking about compatibility with IE900s, and for those there's a great pair of adapters aswell. I went for the straight ones in that case, because the angle of the connectors on the IE3/6/900s is already pretty steep.

Both adapters result in a great fit for my ears and I can recommend both of them!

I also really hope LDAC will be an option in the (not so near) future (probably?), I love my Pixel but the bluetooth codecs are pretty basic, and I find myself longing for higher quality audio via LDAC or aptX HD, both of which are supported on my BTR3K, but that is way less convenient.
D0aNTLQ.jpg
o3Glnkw.jpg
3EsuRxa.jpg

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #1,129 of 2,559
Made a head-fi account just for this thread basically. Just wanted to leave some thoughts here.

I've used the UTWS 3 previously and upgraded to the 5 recently. They sound great, though I am not even close to getting full potential out of them, as my Pixel 6 Pro supports neither aptx Adaptive nor LHDC (I've been considering getting a cheap Chinese phone just for music lately..).

I still want to mention how grateful I am for this kind of product, and for the FiiO employees that are around to listen to user feedback and answer questions. Probably the reason I made this account, so I can engage in some of the conversation on here.

Also, I've got a few adapters from AliExpress to help me connect two of my favorites, and I wanted to leave some pictures here to maybe help some others with their IEM setup.

For my Katos, I've got angled 2 Pin adapters, which I even prefer over the OE Audio angled adapters, because the angle is a little less aggressive and the adapters have pretty much the exact same thinkness as the arms of the UTWS5. For anyone using 2 pin IEMs without recessed sockets (Moondrop Variations for example), the adapters should also be available in a shorter variant.

Now, I've seen someone asking about compatibility with IE900s, and for those there's a great pair of adapters aswell. I went for the straight ones in that case, because the angle of the connectors on the IE3/6/900s is already pretty steep.

Both adapters result in a great fit for my ears and I can recommend both of them!

I also really hope LDAC will be an option in the (not so near) future (probably?), I love my Pixel but the bluetooth codecs are pretty basic, and I find myself longing for higher quality audio via LDAC or aptX HD, both of which are supported on my BTR3K, but that is way less convenient.
D0aNTLQ.jpg
o3Glnkw.jpg
3EsuRxa.jpg
I will be in a similar boat (no aptx adaptive or ldac devices, only aptx or aac), how would you compare the two in sound quality? Also what about microphone quality?

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #1,130 of 2,559
I will be in a similar boat (no aptx adaptive or ldac devices, only aptx or aac), how would you compare the two in sound quality? Also what about microphone quality?
Considering I've only been able to listen to aptx on both of them, the biggest difference was lower noise floor on the 5's, which for me already made the upgrade worth it honestly.
Now I haven't heard the microphones myself, but for mics located behind and below your ear, people I called haven't complained a single time when I was wearing these.

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #1,131 of 2,559
Would you mind leaving the Ali link here? I am having the same experiences with my angled OE MMCX to 0.78 mm adapters being too aggressive in the angle.
Glad to hear that there are alternatives.

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #1,133 of 2,559
@FiiO , @FiiO Willson , I am using the latest 1.4 firmware on my UTWS5 together with FiiO Control v2.8

A few things:

1. Even though I am on the latest firmware, the app will still offer a new firmware update and re-download and re-install 1.4 over the same firmware, over OTA (online upgrade)
2. What is this menu which does not show anything and drops down for a few seconds, each time I start the app?
3. UTWS5 defaults to aptX Adaptive. I need to enable LHBC each time I start playing music + I need to go into Developer Settings to set it to a fixed (max) bitrare
4. There is still this battery charging level inconsistency.

Can you take care of any of the above, please?

Thank you
Dear friend,

1. If you do not enter setting-firmware update-on line update, you would not get the firmware update notification.
2. It is a notification of using FiiO Control app in the dropdown menu. You could hold this notification in the dropdown menu, and forbide this notification for help.
3. Yes, you would need to turn on LHDC Bluetooth codec everytime after reconnecting. (Due to the difference in the operating system of mobile phones and LHDC versions, it may be connected not as LHDC by default. At this time, please select the LHDC codec in the Developer options menu on the mobile phone. )
4. The battery meter would have small error and we will still try to improve it.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 5, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,134 of 2,559
Well, I just ordered the Monarch Mkii… still trying to figure out where to buy the UTWS5 though
The UTWS5 will be in stock again this month if everything goes well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 6, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #1,136 of 2,559
Apr 6, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #1,137 of 2,559
Dear friend,

1. If you do not enter setting-firmware update-on line update, you would not get the firmware update notification.

Your FiiO Control app should tell the user: Your firmware is up to date, like it used to do! Like any other app tells you that you are up to date!

2. It is a notification of using FiiO Control app in the dropdown menu. You could hold this notification in the dropdown menu, and forbide this notification for help.

I've tried that, nothing is happening. If I long-press or just tap on this notification, it does not react, nothing is happening, it just disappears. Before your FiiO Control app update, this notification used to show something. Why don't you just fix it, and make it show what it is supposed to show?

3. Yes, you would need to turn on LHDC Bluetooth codec everytime after reconnecting. (Due to the difference in the operating system of mobile phones and LHDC versions, it may be connected not as LHDC by default. At this time, please select the LHDC codec in the Developer options menu on the mobile phone. )

Okay, I understand/accept that

4. The battery meter would have small error and we will still try to improve it.

Well, thank you for looking at that, at least! It has been a few months, though, since I've reported this for the first time. I hope it will not get fixed in the next decade!

Best regards

Yeah, all the best to you, as well. Please, take a bit more seriously your own App. These are trivial inconveniences which could be taken care of, in no time. It's not that we are asking you to see the bitrate in "real time" like on the Qudelix-5K, for example. Just a few simple fixes. Unless, you've assigned the FiiO Control app development to a high school teenager to pass their spare time...

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,138 of 2,559
Apr 6, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #1,139 of 2,559
Yeah, all the best to you, as well. Please, take a bit more seriously your own App. These are trivial inconveniences which could be taken care of, in no time. It's not that we are asking you to see the bitrate in "real time" like on the Qudelix-5K, for example. Just a few simple fixes. Unless, you've assigned the FiiO Control app development to a high school teenager to pass their spare time...
@FiiO the UTWS5 is a great product - but the app is really holding it back. As @Nick24JJ has mentioned, we're only asking for a functioning app and a decent EQ. I've already resigned myself to the fact that we won't be getting anything close to the Qudelix app from FiiO but do know that there are users who appreciate FiiO products. In a space that is already soo competitive, I'd hate to have to move on to another product line because the FiiO decided to put out a product that only meets 87% of my satisfaction as an end-user.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back