[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
May 10, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #2,627 of 3,226
Have you not popped to a bar just to sit there gazing lovingly at your Q5s then??
I looked at the photos again and I think the story is that they met in a bar, Q5s bought that girl a drink in a metal cup, they hooked up (well she hooked up her iems to the Q5s), Q5s brought much listening pleasure to the girl and they lived happily ever after - or until a newer model is released.

May 10, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #2,628 of 3,226
May 10, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #2,629 of 3,226
I looked at the photos again and I think the story is that they met in a bar, Q5s bought that girl a drink in a metal cup, they hooked up (well she hooked up her iems to the Q5s), Q5s brought much listening pleasure to the girl and they lived happily ever after - or until a newer model is released.
What you don't see is that the girl brought a third entitiy...the one with a bluetooth otherwise there won't be any music :gs1000smile:

May 15, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #2,630 of 3,226
I’ll be interested to hear your experience of it then once you have had a bit of time with it.
I got the cable. My first reaction is that the sound is a little brighter. It sounds very good indeed. I also spotted a difference in bass. My previous cable was hd650 original cable with a sennheiser cable adaptor.
Ill try to compare it with the original hd 600 cable also.

May 15, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,631 of 3,226
I got the cable. My first reaction is that the sound is a little brighter. It sounds very good indeed. I also spotted a difference in bass. My previous cable was hd650 original cable with a sennheiser cable adaptor.
Ill try to compare it with the original hd 600 cable also.
Is it a spc or silver cable ?

May 15, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,632 of 3,226
Is it a spc or silver cable ?
i dont know from outside it is plastic edit
in the description it is written "This cable is made with a silver plated cable" A comparison with some adaptors i have
IMG_20200515_182323.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #2,633 of 3,226
Hi everyone
Im reconsidering this Q5s to upgrade (if there is any) to my ES100, since i only use a pair of Shure se846 im looking for even better clarity and definition in the sound, have any of you have them both to compare and tell me if its woth the upgrade?

And also i eq in the 32hz (+4dB) and i can use this settings in every device i connect my es100 (pc, s9+, tab s6) and the sound will be always equalized. Does the q5s have a similar eq?

Having used the Fiio A5 and A3 bass boost, i dont consider it since its more like a mid-bass bost and my se846 are perfect by adding just some rummble in the deepest notes

May 15, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #2,634 of 3,226
Hi everyone
Im reconsidering this Q5s to upgrade (if there is any) to my ES100, since i only use a pair of Shure se846 im looking for even better clarity and definition in the sound, have any of you have them both to compare and tell me if its woth the upgrade?

And also i eq in the 32hz (+4dB) and i can use this settings in every device i connect my es100 (pc, s9+, tab s6) and the sound will be always equalized. Does the q5s have a similar eq?

Having used the Fiio A5 and A3 bass boost, i dont consider it since its more like a mid-bass bost and my se846 are perfect by adding just some rummble in the deepest notes
If you want to eq somthing stay away from the q5s

Wired the eq just work for the fiio player

On ldac it dont work at all

Pure soundwise it is better then the es 100 but the eq is unbeatable

You could wait for qudelix 5k its the same guy who made the es100 and it will have a better eq then the es 100. But i doubt it will sound cleaner then the q5s the hardware is purley superior then the es100 or qudelix

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,635 of 3,226
If you want to eq somthing stay away from the q5s

Wired the eq just work for the fiio player

On ldac it dont work at all

Pure soundwise it is better then the es 100 but the eq is unbeatable

You could wait for qudelix 5k its the same guy who made the es100 and it will have a better eq then the es 100. But i doubt it will sound cleaner then the q5s the hardware is purley superior then the es100 or qudelix
Thanks for the info, i really want the EQ function so the Q5s is a no for me, even when it really seems like a proper portable dac/amp, just lacks some convenient features to appeal like the ES100

Im also following the Qudelix page for any update, it seems the natural upgrade to the ES100 so im also waiting for it =D

May 15, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,636 of 3,226
i dont know from outside it is plastic edit
in the description it is written "This cable is made with a silver plated cable" A comparison with some adaptors i haveIMG_20200515_182323.jpg

yes looks like a silver platet cable they bright things up compared to pure copper. (for some, others don´t hear any diffrence

May 16, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #2,637 of 3,226
Hi everyone

I use mine with a pair of shure se425.
The bass boost will up the 32hz by 4db but lower high frequency similarly.
For my iems it gives that much needed boost it lacks.
I won't get into the super analytical description of the sound (im a casual listener) but here are the few things for and against.
Pro
-It's powerful enough if you want headphones in the future. it's basically futureproof
- Multiple connection points.
- nice bass boost (different curves than a5 andd a3)
- handles most playback formats
- Can eq through BT playback on aptx

cons
- a lot bulkier than the es100
- not the best battery life
- fiio app is not the best

if you're only thinking of using with iems, maybe the btr3k or btr5 from fiio would be better and less bulky

May 16, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #2,638 of 3,226
The Q5s has intrigued me for a while as a portable DAC/Amp option. How is the portability of this device? Does it fit in pockets? Is it heavy?

May 16, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #2,639 of 3,226
The Q5s has intrigued me for a while as a portable DAC/Amp option. How is the portability of this device? Does it fit in pockets? Is it heavy?

think of it as a chunkier iphone 4, like 2 iphone 4s stacked together. it is light enough though. it's portable depending on your use case. if you stack to a phone and use cables, it is chunky.
the bt is unstable if you store it and your phone in different pockets.
if on a commute and you have a bag or large pockets in a jacket, it should be fine.

my 'portable' use case is actually moving my dac/amp from when i'm at home or my gf's place or work. think of it as a portable desk dac lol

if you really really need portable, and can sacrifice power (depending what you intend to power) maybe a btr5 could also work.

for me i need to power headphones, so i need the power.

May 16, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #2,640 of 3,226
think of it as a chunkier iphone 4, like 2 iphone 4s stacked together. it is light enough though. it's portable depending on your use case. if you stack to a phone and use cables, it is chunky.
the bt is unstable if you store it and your phone in different pockets.
if on a commute and you have a bag or large pockets in a jacket, it should be fine.

my 'portable' use case is actually moving my dac/amp from when i'm at home or my gf's place or work. think of it as a portable desk dac lol

if you really really need portable, and can sacrifice power (depending what you intend to power) maybe a btr5 could also work.

for me i need to power headphones, so i need the power.

I do have an ES100, so my interest in the Q5s is t as an upgrade/replacement. I mostly use IEMs, but I'm thinking about adding a headphone to my collection, so I'm looking to acquire a portable DAC/amp that would also power headphones. I would use it as a wired DAC/Amp (to my laptop) at work and as a Bluetooth DAC/Amp via my phone when I'm on the go (coffee shop, etc.) with the Q5s in my pocket or a shoulder bag that I carry around. Since I do plan on using the Bluetooth, is the connectivity issue you mention something that happens often? If I had my phone in my hand and the Q5s in my pocket or bag, would there be issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back