[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jan 4, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2,386 of 3,226
I dont see much sense for it becasuse it does not have data tranfer! No use for USB audio from PC. Only power source.
So it is only for charging or when you want SPDIF of optical input on Q5s and want to charge in parallel.
If it would have also data transfer I would buy it immediatelly.:triportsad:
https://fiio.com/productinfo/392240.html
2431606.jpg
Thanks, I realised that fortunately. Money saved.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #2,388 of 3,226
Does the Apple Lightning to USB Micro Adapter work with the Q5S to allow for longer data cables to be used? I see the DD HiFi MFI05 but I wanted something available.
The Apple adapter did not work for me when I connected a longer USB A to USB micro cable for use with my iPhone. Just the short micro to lightning cable it came with worked.

i ended up getting this cable which is 50cm long. Works well with no adapter with my Q5s.

DD MFi05 Micro USB Audio Data Decoding Cable for FiiO Decoder Q1MK2 Q5 (50cm L Plug) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P97SZQ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.gMeEbYDTPZDB

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2,390 of 3,226
Can anyone explain why Fiio includes a usb cable for iphones, but Android users have to buy an extra cable ?

My guess is because that iPhone lighting to micro USB cable is likely MFi certified and those are difficult to find (the only other one I know is by DDHiFi). Android cables are a dime a dozen and do not require certification.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #2,391 of 3,226
My guess is because that iPhone lighting to micro USB cable is likely MFi certified and those are difficult to find (the only other one I know is by DDHiFi). Android cables are a dime a dozen and do not require certification.

Android cables might be ubiquitous, short angled ones like the CL06 (Fiio's official one) are not.

I just think it's a really poor experience for an android user who has ordered a q5s, receives it, and than notices he has to order an extra cable
to fully make use of his newest toy.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #2,392 of 3,226
Android cables might be ubiquitous, short angled ones like the CL06 (Fiio's official one) are not.

I just think it's a really poor experience for an android user who has ordered a q5s, receives it, and than notices he has to order an extra cable
to fully make use of his newest toy.

I agree. If I was on Android, it would annoy me, too. They should have included the CL06.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,393 of 3,226
I agree. If I was on Android, it would annoy me, too. They should have included the CL06.
I was impressed with the included accessories, but then utterly disappointed to find I needed to buy an extra cable. Luckily I could source one locally and as far as pricing for brand cables go it wasn't too expensive.

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #2,394 of 3,226
I briefly owned the iFi xDSD which was described as sounding more musical than the Q5/Q5s. I changed to the Q5s and am really happy with it. I use it as a desktop and around the house and it is ideal for my needs, I find it to be a good size for either using OTG with my tablet or phone or using bluetooth. Don't know if that helps at all.

I’m very interested to hear more of this comparison. What sources did you use? Would you say they’re close SQ wise?

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #2,395 of 3,226
So I've had my Fiio Q5s since august and it just conked out today. I've tried holding the reset button down to 5 seconds like it advises one to do in the manual but that bred no fruit. I really enjoyed the product and drove my LCD-2s and LCD-Xs well but that's not really a testament to anything. I just enjoyed the use of LDAC over Bluetooth for use alongside my isine 20s. I think the TI MSP430 chip died in my unit or the firmware got ****ed because the battery is still providing nominal voltage alongside with power to every non-semiconductor controlled element on the board. This includes Butterworth LPF for power conditioning before the LDOs as well as other power points. There are test pads on the back but I don't have an oscilloscope handy atm so I couldn't do a comprehensive analysis. Regardless, it's still under warranty so should be good for warranty repair by fiio but shipping to china and back is a bitch. I gotta use my crappy dongle with my phone and it makes everything sound like ****ing garbage. Might as well wear some beats and blow my ears out with some bass boost.

Looking through the internal PCB layout I found the list of chips they used to control basically all elements of the sound delivery system other than the internal Amp architecture of the amp modules as I couldn't take that apart without some damage. If you guys would like some more images and breakdown of the layout I can provide some insight. For the price, this device is a great deal but doesn't match higher-end offerings which can be seen by the outsourcing of big segments of the player design being outsourced for off the shelf SoCs. A good example is the use of the NJW1151 for use of the volume control. I don't know the exacts of the volume control implementation but I am almost sure that it is a bit depth truncating system which is circumventing the whole point of using an external device for volume control for the most part in a way. I would have expected some sort of analog based volume control, but at this price point it's not possible so I understand the concession. Beats a pot any day and allows for some LPF filter adjustment on the output end of the DAC before the amp module final amplification.

@FiiO, I messaged your customer service department about support and possible replacement but I haven't heard from them. I have looked through your forums on your site and it was barren regarding issues with your product. This product is definitely buggy when it comes to the bluetooth connectivity on android but for the most part has performed admirably but the power off and power on ****ery is really bad and has almost bricked my device 3 times with this 4th time actually bricking it. You guys should have just allowed the device to be actually powered off when the volume wheel hits 0 instead of a soft power off. Especially when I have to cycle the device to make it work properly sometimes cuz it stops working.

Internal Pic:

81602670_1247192782143302_3136641786231914496_n.jpg

Sorry about the low image quality, I tried taking a quick image and couldn't get the DSLR out, it's late in NYC and everyone is sleeping at my place.

I have images of the backside of the board with the test pads. The PCB quality is genuinely good and well thought out. They have signal output pads on the back for comprehensive testing and analysis. My Xmos chip isn't getting the 1.0V it's supposed to be getting which is why I think it's the TI chip that has gone to crap but the firmware getting corrupted could also be the culprit or some trace could be damaged. Regardless, it's impossible to be sure of the issue without the actual schematics of which I could not find.

Thank you once again Fiio for releasing such a great product at such a price point. The only other realistic options are the iDSD and the Chord Mojo/Poly combo. I will eventually upgrade to that but I didn't have the cash atm to drop on a portable setup like that. I need to buy me a Yggdrassil first.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #2,396 of 3,226
I’m very interested to hear more of this comparison. What sources did you use? Would you say they’re close SQ wise?
I'm not the best at accurately breaking it down, and once I make a choice to move on to something new I don't compare to avoid any possibility of regrets.
Main xDSD use was PC (Foobar - wasapi) with flac and hi-res tracks. I've heard the xDSD described as more musical whereas the Q5s is said to be more on the analytical side - and that would be quite accurate in my experience. From memory, when I got a balanced cable for the xDSD it was really nice sounding and I would say my ears prefered it over the Q5s (also with AM3D). I found I could push the volume of the xDSD more whereas with a few albums the Q5s can get a tad harsh with the higher frequencies, but I emphasise that that is only when I'm pushing it with the volume. I'm not saying the Q5s is bright, but it could perhaps be the analytical sound signature. My reason for letting the xDSD go was because my cables are 4.4mm (nice solid connector) and I had to use a pigtail which is not ideal. Also the bluetooth of the xDSD had frequent issues with my Nvidia Shield, and a minor but important one to me was the design - the xDSD was a fingerprint magnet, an odd shape and the push on/off button and cheap feeling volume dial and odd combination of button presses to achieve things just got on my nerves. So summing it up, my opinion is that the xDSD was slightly smoother sounding and more pleasant to my ears and perhaps a very slight edge for sound quality, but I accept the sound of the Q5s (w/AM3D) and I am happy with it and find it to be totally satisfying. I love the slim design and nice on/off/volume dial. The bluetooth button and bluetooth track skip buttons are really handy. I only used the xDSD bluetooth for moives (but it frequently spat the dummy with my shield) the bluetooth of the Q5s when I have used for convenience is outstanding, I am really impressed with the quality. I hope you may be able to extract some value from all that.

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #2,397 of 3,226
I'm not the best at accurately breaking it down, and once I make a choice to move on to something new I don't compare to avoid any possibility of regrets.
Main xDSD use was PC (Foobar - wasapi) with flac and hi-res tracks. I've heard the xDSD described as more musical whereas the Q5s is said to be more on the analytical side - and that would be quite accurate in my experience. From memory, when I got a balanced cable for the xDSD it was really nice sounding and I would say my ears prefered it over the Q5s (also with AM3D). I found I could push the volume of the xDSD more whereas with a few albums the Q5s can get a tad harsh with the higher frequencies, but I emphasise that that is only when I'm pushing it with the volume. I'm not saying the Q5s is bright, but it could perhaps be the analytical sound signature. My reason for letting the xDSD go was because my cables are 4.4mm (nice solid connector) and I had to use a pigtail which is not ideal. Also the bluetooth of the xDSD had frequent issues with my Nvidia Shield, and a minor but important one to me was the design - the xDSD was a fingerprint magnet, an odd shape and the push on/off button and cheap feeling volume dial and odd combination of button presses to achieve things just got on my nerves. So summing it up, my opinion is that the xDSD was slightly smoother sounding and more pleasant to my ears and perhaps a very slight edge for sound quality, but I accept the sound of the Q5s (w/AM3D) and I am happy with it and find it to be totally satisfying. I love the slim design and nice on/off/volume dial. The bluetooth button and bluetooth track skip buttons are really handy. I only used the xDSD bluetooth for moives (but it frequently spat the dummy with my shield) the bluetooth of the Q5s when I have used for convenience is outstanding, I am really impressed with the quality. I hope you may be able to extract some value from all that.

Thank you. This is actually very helpful.

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,398 of 3,226
So I've had my Fiio Q5s since august and it just conked out today. I've tried holding the reset button down to 5 seconds like it advises one to do in the manual but that bred no fruit. I really enjoyed the product and drove my LCD-2s and LCD-Xs well but that's not really a testament to anything. I just enjoyed the use of LDAC over Bluetooth for use alongside my isine 20s. I think the TI MSP430 chip died in my unit or the firmware got ****ed because the battery is still providing nominal voltage alongside with power to every non-semiconductor controlled element on the board. This includes Butterworth LPF for power conditioning before the LDOs as well as other power points. There are test pads on the back but I don't have an oscilloscope handy atm so I couldn't do a comprehensive analysis. Regardless, it's still under warranty so should be good for warranty repair by fiio but shipping to china and back is a bitch. I gotta use my crappy dongle with my phone and it makes everything sound like ****ing garbage. Might as well wear some beats and blow my ears out with some bass boost.

Looking through the internal PCB layout I found the list of chips they used to control basically all elements of the sound delivery system other than the internal Amp architecture of the amp modules as I couldn't take that apart without some damage. If you guys would like some more images and breakdown of the layout I can provide some insight. For the price, this device is a great deal but doesn't match higher-end offerings which can be seen by the outsourcing of big segments of the player design being outsourced for off the shelf SoCs. A good example is the use of the NJW1151 for use of the volume control. I don't know the exacts of the volume control implementation but I am almost sure that it is a bit depth truncating system which is circumventing the whole point of using an external device for volume control for the most part in a way. I would have expected some sort of analog based volume control, but at this price point it's not possible so I understand the concession. Beats a pot any day and allows for some LPF filter adjustment on the output end of the DAC before the amp module final amplification.

@FiiO, I messaged your customer service department about support and possible replacement but I haven't heard from them. I have looked through your forums on your site and it was barren regarding issues with your product. This product is definitely buggy when it comes to the bluetooth connectivity on android but for the most part has performed admirably but the power off and power on ****ery is really bad and has almost bricked my device 3 times with this 4th time actually bricking it. You guys should have just allowed the device to be actually powered off when the volume wheel hits 0 instead of a soft power off. Especially when I have to cycle the device to make it work properly sometimes cuz it stops working.

Internal Pic:

81602670_1247192782143302_3136641786231914496_n.jpg

Sorry about the low image quality, I tried taking a quick image and couldn't get the DSLR out, it's late in NYC and everyone is sleeping at my place.

I have images of the backside of the board with the test pads. The PCB quality is genuinely good and well thought out. They have signal output pads on the back for comprehensive testing and analysis. My Xmos chip isn't getting the 1.0V it's supposed to be getting which is why I think it's the TI chip that has gone to crap but the firmware getting corrupted could also be the culprit or some trace could be damaged. Regardless, it's impossible to be sure of the issue without the actual schematics of which I could not find.

Thank you once again Fiio for releasing such a great product at such a price point. The only other realistic options are the iDSD and the Chord Mojo/Poly combo. I will eventually upgrade to that but I didn't have the cash atm to drop on a portable setup like that. I need to buy me a Yggdrassil first.

Now that you reminded me... yes I also noticed that sometimes I power on, the leds light up, but I get no sound. This happened both in USB and Bluetooth mode. And even more strange - I recently got a new TV and after connecting the Q5s in Bluetooth mode, watched a movie, when I turned off the unit the front BT led kept pulsating, the unit didn't turn off... And sometimes it takes longer for the front led to light up when powering on. I did several resets but still problems. I think the firmware should be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back