[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #2,341 of 3,226
If you’re just listening to Apple Music, than maybe there is not much difference. If you’re getting your content from a source streaming FLAC 16 / 44.1 or better there is a BIG difference (IMHO). Wired definitely sounds better.

I only use my Q5S with the lightning to micro USB supplied in the box with my iPhone Xs. For me personally I don’t care much about Bluetooth. Perhaps those feelings would change if Apple used one of the better Bluetooth codecs for audio.

Dec 28, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #2,343 of 3,226
@FiiO

Not sure if this is the place, but has anyone had any issues with their Q5S not connecting? The wired connection to my iPod touch won't connect (it will not connect to Mac either). Holding the side button to see the battery status does nothing (none of the side indicator lights will work). Plugging into power will cause the COAX indication to briefly show red and then nothing, not blue blinking lights to indicate charging.

I was using it earlier at a full charge. When I turn on the device with the volume knob all the indications flash blue as normal. Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps? This unit is less than two months old. :frowning2:

I am also unable to switch to bluetooth (holding the play/pause does not initiate a pairing request).\

-----

Using the reset switch on the side seemed to get it working again - any idea what might have caused this?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #2,344 of 3,226
@FiiO

Not sure if this is the place, but has anyone had any issues with their Q5S not connecting? The wired connection to my iPod touch won't connect (it will not connect to Mac either). Holding the side button to see the battery status does nothing (none of the side indicator lights will work). Plugging into power will cause the COAX indication to briefly show red and then nothing, not blue blinking lights to indicate charging.

I was using it earlier at a full charge. When I turn on the device with the volume knob all the indications flash blue as normal. Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps? This unit is less than two months old. :frowning2:

I am also unable to switch to bluetooth (holding the play/pause does not initiate a pairing request).\

-----

Using the reset switch on the side seemed to get it working again - any idea what might have caused this?

I wish I could help. Might be best to send an email to: support@fiio.com

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #2,345 of 3,226
Fiio doesent answer this thread anymore but is active in the other fiio threads so better write them directly

Still waiting for ldac equalizer

Dec 29, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #2,347 of 3,226
They seem to still post in here but you are saying they don't respond. Does that mean they are no longer supporting this device?
No, they just have many different products and threads and new products being released. I think it is great that they have a presence on their product threads to keep up with what their customers opinions and experiences are and the fact they actually make a comment or reply in certain situations.

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,348 of 3,226
No, they just have many different products and threads and new products being released. I think it is great that they have a presence on their product threads to keep up with what their customers opinions and experiences are and the fact they actually make a comment or reply in certain situations.
I forgot to add I had messaged the Fiio person directly from their profile contact email and got a reply within 2 days.
**wow, I just replied to myself - intended for cccoltlsicehockey

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #2,349 of 3,226
Can anyone here compare the sound of the Q5s and the A5 ?

Nobody answered, so i will give my opinion, might be helpful. I dont have A5 or Q5s, but i have the E12a and Q5. A5 is upgraded E12a with more power.

To my ears, Q5 (and so the Q5s) sound better overall. More alive. A5 is only an amplifier, it is best used with DAC because of the line out. You can use it with anything that has 3.5mm headphone jack, but it will be better if you use it with DAP (digital audio player) or DAC with line out. So if you already have a device with line output, A5 will sound great. Bass is more around the 30-60hz range, mids are more forward than on other amps, and same for treble, it is forward. It is good for classical music i would say. For jazz and pop, the mids might be too forward, its so-so for metal and rock music (not bad, but not great either). Electronic music sounds OK. Not bad, but because of the treble forward, sometimes its harsh. Bass is great tho....for hip-hop, rap. This all might be changed little bit with EQ, but overall the coloration with mids forwards remain.

Overall its good amp, but the Q5 is better. More details noticable on the Q5 as well. However, keep in mind that A5 is 2x more powerful than Q5s. So if need that power, it might be better choice.

If you plan using Bluetooth, Q5s has it, A5 doesnt.

If you dont need the Bluetooth, then....depends. If you have a good DAC or DAP right now to connect to A5, i dont think you need the Q5s.

If you dont have any DACs or DAPs, Q5s will be the better choice. It has excellent DAC. And Bluetooth.

If you have high impedance headphones, go for A5 as well.

Also the recordings. Although its more smooth souding and with less details in your face, the A5 will be more sensitive to the quality of the recording, whereas the Q5s s are more forgiving. Bad quality recordings sound plastic and....yeah just not great.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #2,350 of 3,226
Nobody answered, so i will give my opinion, might be helpful. I dont have A5 or Q5s, but i have the E12a and Q5. A5 is upgraded E12a with more power.

To my ears, Q5 (and so the Q5s) sound better overall. More alive. A5 is only an amplifier, it is best used with DAC because of the line out. You can use it with anything that has 3.5mm headphone jack, but it will be better if you use it with DAP (digital audio player) or DAC with line out. So if you already have a device with line output, A5 will sound great. Bass is more around the 30-60hz range, mids are more forward than on other amps, and same for treble, it is forward. It is good for classical music i would say. For jazz and pop, the mids might be too forward, its so-so for metal and rock music (not bad, but not great either). Electronic music sounds OK. Not bad, but because of the treble forward, sometimes its harsh. Bass is great tho....for hip-hop, rap. This all might be changed little bit with EQ, but overall the coloration with mids forwards remain.

Overall its good amp, but the Q5 is better. More details noticable on the Q5 as well. However, keep in mind that A5 is 2x more powerful than Q5s. So if need that power, it might be better choice.

If you plan using Bluetooth, Q5s has it, A5 doesnt.

If you dont need the Bluetooth, then....depends. If you have a good DAC or DAP right now to connect to A5, i dont think you need the Q5s.

If you dont have any DACs or DAPs, Q5s will be the better choice. It has excellent DAC. And Bluetooth.

If you have high impedance headphones, go for A5 as well.

Also the recordings. Although its more smooth souding and with less details in your face, the A5 will be more sensitive to the quality of the recording, whereas the Q5s s are more forgiving. Bad quality recordings sound plastic and....yeah just not great.

Thanks. Right now my mobile setup is lg v30 + a5 or just v30.
If I bought the q5s it would be lg v30 > q5s. I just don't want to spend £330 and not get a sound upgrade.

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #2,351 of 3,226
Thanks. Right now my mobile setup is lg v30 + a5 or just v30.
If I bought the q5s it would be lg v30 > q5s. I just don't want to spend £330 and not get a sound upgrade.

Very good then. Q5/Q5s they have good DACs, but i am not really fan of the pure amp portion of it. I dont think you are missing anything with your current setup.

I recommend you check USB Audio Player Pro on Google play store. If you havent already saw it. It has this "Morphit" addition to it. You can simulate the sound from different type headphones with it, and so change the whole coloration of the sound coming from the A5. Its great.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #2,352 of 3,226
I have a V30 -- when I added my Q5 it was a MAJOR upgrade in everything!

Dec 30, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #2,354 of 3,226
Q5 is a true balanced device with a opamp per channel on each dac chip. If you running balanced headphones you take full advantage of this, if running in balanced I dont see how it couldn't be a upgrade. Depending on the headphone I suppose - if the headphone doesn't scale well or is already being pushed all it can take it won't be any better.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #2,355 of 3,226
Well, i dont have balanced cables and headphones to test the balanced output of the Q5, from what i have read is that the balanced output has better channel separation in compare with the single ended output. This will give more space and it might sound more alive that way. This...and it has 2x more power on the balanced output. If its because the power, A5 has more than any amp module.

Headphones are on first place however, i agree fully.

Another thing is that the Q5/Q5s has better frequency response with any amp module than the A5. So if you play hi res audio with 96Khz music, this will be noticable better on the Q5. And headphones needs to have the range as well. A5 is from 20hz-20khz The headphone output of the LG might be limited to 20Khz, and if you connect something with higher frequency response like Q5 to use as DAC, it will sound different.

Any DAC/Amp combo is better than the phones, but phones with better Dac chip in it, like this LG above, its a close call which one is better. I have tried over the years different setups, phones with somewhat better audio and speakers than the common ones, like Sony Xperia Z3, HTC M8 back in the day, Razer phone 2 as well. Fiio DAPs from the X5 serie and M9. One on one, no EQ, the DAPs have more dynamic sound, but once you install something like the USB Audio Player Pro on the phones, Neutron or so and connect this to a DAC, its really close and subjective which one is better. Difference in sound quality usually comes from the frequency response range and what files are being used. Thats in my experience.

That being said, i dont think the guy is missing anything. Yes, the Q5s will be better used as DAC, but if you dont have the balanced cables, or start adding amp modules to the thing, its really in another price range. Its if one of these "dedicated" music players are used on the phones, they are better than the stock players, that really closes the gap. The ES9228 chip in the LG should be on pair with the AKM in the Fiio.

I believe that. However, the question is whether it's an upgrade over v30 + A5.

All this said, if you are looking for upgrade, now or later, i would look the Chord Mojo. If you dont need the Bluetooth, i found it to be better than all this here. It is with lower price s now as well than what it used to be.

And of course i wish you happy new year celebrating guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back