[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Dec 26, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #2,328 of 3,226
Don't mind the ramblings like listening to people's opinions and why what they choose.

My current headphone collection consists of Klipsch X20i, Fiio FH7 (just picked up this week), and V-Moda Crossfade 2 (primarily used for movies and games though only occasionally for music). I primarily listen to music only through IEM. The Crossfade 2 were actually my first pair of over the ear headphones. I also have an Oppo HA-2SE I use as well. That was my first amp. Most of my listening is done at work or while traveling so I stuck with very portable gear so far.

So far loving the seperation I get from the FH7.
The Oppo HA-2SE was supposed to be a really solid device with great sound. I really miss Oppo after they exited the marketplace. Shame as I think Oppo really spurred on a rush of competition when they came out with the PM-1/2/3 and the HA-2SE.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #2,329 of 3,226
Well those on Ali were apparently not really there and the ones on Amazon went fast. Grabbed the very last one. Figured I needed to order it and then use my return window to make my final decision.
Nice, let us know.

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #2,330 of 3,226
The Oppo HA-2SE was supposed to be a really solid device with great sound. I really miss Oppo after they exited the marketplace. Shame as I think Oppo really spurred on a rush of competition when they came out with the PM-1/2/3 and the HA-2SE.
Was definitely disappointed as well they only left about a year after I picked up the HA-2SE and I never got a chance to pickup a set of PM-3 which was planned to be my first set of over ear. Still look from time to time for a clean used set.

Dec 27, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #2,331 of 3,226
Was definitely disappointed as well they only left about a year after I picked up the HA-2SE and I never got a chance to pickup a set of PM-3 which was planned to be my first set of over ear. Still look from time to time for a clean used set.
I owned and really enjoyed the PM3, so yes, IMO well worth grabbing a used set, condition being acceptable of course.

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #2,332 of 3,226
Just A-B between AM3D (THX) vs AM3E. I detect 2 minor diff.

AM3D has better layering and image precision. Sound stage more 3D.

Bass and Treble sound the same.

Volume in AM3D is slightly softer (like 8-10 mins on the dial diff).

I am using A6T CIEM to test.

I would say all these differences are not that big. Its no day and night diff, in fact, it very minimal. more like changing cable diff. The AM3E is really good enough. it is pretty clean and has more power. However, if U want to hear more space in between the instrument, and be able to hear each layer, with a more 3D soundstage, - then yeah get the AM3D. But again the diff is not big but small enought\ that I can detect it.

I will report more when I have more time to test this weekend.

Dec 27, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #2,333 of 3,226
@FiiO or anyone else who might know this

is it ok to use the q5s as a usb dac, if it's receiving a charge constantly from the source device?

any recommended routine discharge / recharge cycle to maintain good battery life?

btw i've had the q5s / am3d combo since early september and it's magical, using it with A6t and dunu dk-3001 pro with 4.4 balanced

amazing clarity / balanced sound and an extremely well executed bass boost

ironically i've never even tried the stock amp module, but from a plethora of amp / dacs i have i always seem to grab the q5s

even with full size headphones like the Zmf Eikons

Dec 27, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #2,334 of 3,226
Dec 28, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #2,335 of 3,226
So, I received the Q5s yesterday and had a chance to test the device for a few hours this morning. I compared it to the Oppo HA-1 (the center of my main rig, which is basically just the DAC plus an Arcam A19 FMJ amp which drives the B&W 804 D2) and the DragonFly Red. Headphones are the Hifiman HE-500 and Focal Elear. Player is a MacBook Pro plus Roon, streaming from Tidal (Hifi) or playing high-res Flac files.

In general build quality is top nothc, although there is one very sharp edge which I find a bit irritating. And by sharp I mean sharp. Feels sharper than the kitchen knifes of my ex-girlfriend.

At first it took me a while to get the DACs leveled to a similar volume, and then I concentrated on just three songs that I know really well ("Raw, Scorched and Untethered" by Romain Collin, "Machine Gun" by Portishead and "Drive" by R.E.M). A couple of hours later and I am happy to report that the Q5s is quite awesome. In fact, it even slightly outperforms the Oppo HA-1 in my opinion, which is quite a feat. Especially at higher volumes I felt like the Q5s didn't "hurt" at extreme high frequencies (for example around the 1:30 mark of "Raw, Scorched and Untethered"), without losing detail. Bass was deep, quick (although here I did not notice much of a difference between the three DACs) and sounded great. Overall it was a very rewarding and never So, definitely worth the money and for me it will replace both the DragonFly as my mobile DAC and probably even the Oppo as my main headphone rig. Well done, FiiO.

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2,336 of 3,226
OK, now the bummer: The Q5s does not connect to my iPhone Xs via USB. :triportsad: ... I have tried everything I could think of, and the Firmware is the most recent 0.39. I use the Apple camera connector (the big one with power), which works flawless with the DragonFly. I also tried several different USB cables. Sometimes the IPhone gives the "Device not supported" error message, sometimes it doesn't. In any event, the Q5s does not work... what's going on? (Bluetooth works fine by the way, but I hate the audio quality via Bluetooth :frowning2: )

Edit: Using the Fiio cable (Lightning -> USB) does work, but how am I supposed to charge the phone while listening?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,337 of 3,226
OK, now the bummer: The Q5s does not connect to my iPhone Xs via USB. :triportsad: ... I have tried everything I could think of, and the Firmware is the most recent 0.39. I use the Apple camera connector (the big one with power), which works flawless with the DragonFly. I also tried several different USB cables. Sometimes the IPhone gives the "Device not supported" error message, sometimes it doesn't. In any event, the Q5s does not work... what's going on? (Bluetooth works fine by the way, but I hate the audio quality via Bluetooth :frowning2: )

Edit: Using the Fiio cable (Lightning -> USB) does work, but how am I supposed to charge the phone while listening?
Have you used the specific mfi cable that came with the q5s? That should work from what i believe

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #2,338 of 3,226

This is the one thing I fear that I will dislike when upgrading to the Q5S from the Q5. I do not understand why they got rid of the second USB port. If was one of the benefits of it to my Oppo HA-2SE.

The one thing you can do is use the Bluetooth connection for a while so you can charge your phone then switch back to wired. I haven't tried it yet but if you have a newer iPhone with wireless charging you might be able to use that while using the USB for audio connection. I haven't tried that with my Google Pixel yet either.

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,340 of 3,226
So the next questions is. When use iPhone Bluetooth which transmit max at aac 256kbps, and wire also aac256kbps do u hear a diff? Technically there is no loss right? So if it’s the same why use wire? Of course Android is diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back