[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #796 of 3,226
i usally stream whit tidal

it has really good separation betteri then es 100 and its a wide stage but i get whit the es 100 the feeling of a wider stage and airier. but the bass really outperformes every other bass i ever heard so much tighter and punchier whit all the details.

the bass boost changes not really somthing on the bass it just eqs the mids and highs down so that it is more pronounced
So I did the A/B comparison of the Q5/AM3D vs Q5S/AM3E:

- I used Sennheiser HD660S headphones with the 4.4mm cable; it was just a convenient pair I had nearby with a 4.4mm connector.
- I volume matched the output with a Fluke multimeter.
- I connected the two devices to two separate Macs, and used Tidal set to HiFi mode.
- I started the same tracks simultaneously on both Macs.
- I swapped the headphone cable between the Q5 & Q5S, comparing the sound. Note, it still takes ~ 6 seconds to do the swap due to a relay that takes a couple seconds until it outputs a signal.
- I mainly used Peter Gabriel's So album, since I'm very familiar with it and it's dense and well recorded.

As I suspected, I couldn't really hear any difference. Maybe if I spend more time and used a variety of different headphones and IEMs, I might have found some differences. I'll likely try my IER-Z1R, Solaris, Andromeda, and SE846 soon, seeing if there's a different with those IEMs and impedance matching.

I'm sure someone with golden ears will proclaim a huge difference between the two, but for my ears they're close enough that I'd choose the device and module based on features and/or cost. I like the new Q5S' minor feature updates, and I like that the AM3E has all common headphone connectors (3.5, 2.5, 4.4) so this is what I'll stick with. I own most of the other amp modules as well, so I'll likely look to sell all the rest and stick with the Q5S/AM3E combo (and maybe keep the AM3D around for those days I want to tell myself it sounds better).
We all envy you now.
I suppose it takes a little time to burn in the Q5s and AM3D so you can hear it in it's full potential.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #797 of 3,226

- I used Sennheiser HD660S headphones with the 4.4mm cable; it was just a convenient pair I had nearby with a 4.4mm connector.
- I connected the two devices to two separate Macs, and used Tidal set to HiFi mode.
- I swapped the headphone cable between the Q5 & Q5S, comparing the sound. Note, it still takes ~ 6 seconds to do the swap due to a relay that takes a couple seconds until it outputs a signal.
- I mainly used Peter Gabriel's So album, since I'm very familiar with it and it's dense and well recorded.

As I suspected, I couldn't really hear any difference. Maybe if I spend more time and used a variety of different headphones and IEMs, I might have found some differences. I'll likely try my IER-Z1R, Solaris, Andromeda, and SE846 soon, seeing if there's a different with those IEMs and impedance matching.

I'm sure someone with golden ears will proclaim a huge difference between the two, but for my ears they're close enough that I'd choose the device and module based on features and/or cost. I like the new Q5S' minor feature updates, and I like that the AM3E has all common headphone connectors (3.5, 2.5, 4.4) so this is what I'll stick with. I own most of the other amp modules as well, so I'll likely look to sell all the rest and stick with the Q5S/AM3E combo (and maybe keep the AM3D around for those days I want to tell myself it sounds better).

Good! that's how it's supposed to be in reality, there are no big differences in such similar setups, and if one wants to hear some difference, then one need more imagination, not "golden ears" :D
99% of the differences "heard" are psychological.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #798 of 3,226
We all envy you now.
I suppose it takes a little time to burn in the Q5s and AM3D so you can hear it in it's full potential.
dac amp burn in?

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #800 of 3,226
dac amp burn in?
I am aware that there are two kind of people: those who believe in burn in, and those who go to bed every night unsatisfied with their audio gear. I must admit that I used to belong to the latter group. This changed after I bought my Astell&Kern SR15. It had manufacturer recommended 80 hrs burn in. I was like What there is no such thing as DAC/DAP burn in? And lo and behold I didn't hear any difference after 80 hrs mostly pink noise burn in. But then things changed. After about 200 hrs it started to sound more open and airy, subtle but when you hear it you can't unhear it. So I'm a convert now.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #801 of 3,226
Yes! and cables burn-in. The electrons must align with the divine source...
dynamic drivers burn in a little bit. but cables dacs and amps dont

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #802 of 3,226
dynamic drivers burn in a little bit. but cables dacs and amps dont
That's what I think too, my comment was tongue in cheek. But wait... someone might come with a 10-paragraph scientific explanation proving us wrong. :thinking:

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #803 of 3,226
I'm not gonna argue against the rest, it's been discussed to death and beyond. But Jesus Christ guys, DACs don't burn in. DACs are digital. DACs operate within spec (unlike, say, an overclocked CPU that might change a tiny bit with time). DACs should be left out of this discussion. As should, IMO, amps, but that's another story.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #804 of 3,226
That's what I think too, my comment was tongue in cheek. But wait... someone might come with a 10-paragraph scientific explanation proving us wrong. :thinking:
There is no 10-paragraph scientific explanation. At least not from a real scientific Prof. just from Manufactors who want you to keep thier stuff till our ears get used to it...

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #805 of 3,226
I'm not gonna argue against the rest, it's been discussed to death and beyond. But Jesus Christ guys, DACs don't burn in. DACs are digital. DACs operate within spec (unlike, say, an overclocked CPU that might change a tiny bit with time). DACs should be left out of this discussion. As should, IMO, amps, but that's another story.

If this were true then you'd expect digital camera pictures to improve over time too, like colours get richer and focus gets sharper!! Sadly not the case though.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #807 of 3,226
I am aware that there are two kind of people: those who believe in burn in, and those who go to bed every night unsatisfied with their audio gear. I must admit that I used to belong to the latter group. This changed after I bought my Astell&Kern SR15. It had manufacturer recommended 80 hrs burn in. I was like What there is no such thing as DAC/DAP burn in? And lo and behold I didn't hear any difference after 80 hrs mostly pink noise burn in. But then things changed. After about 200 hrs it started to sound more open and airy, subtle but when you hear it you can't unhear it. So I'm a convert now.

There has to be 3 kind of people. I am not a huge believer in burn in but I definitely go to bed every night satisfied with my gear. I basically just enjoy my music, my gear is just a way to enjoy said music.

But ok i don't have any new gear so it should all be well burned in :)

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #808 of 3,226
I will compare the Q5s to RME-ADI 2 DAC to SMSL SU 8 + THX AAA 789 to either my ZMF Aeolus, Campfire andromeda or E-MU Teak and see if it's worth the money....

exciting times....

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #809 of 3,226

Awesome. Thank you for this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back