[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 1, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #766 of 3,226
^ Hi Ghawke, my Q5s is still in Singapore. The last time I ordered the AM3D it took around 2 weeks to arrive. The Parcelforce tracking only started working when the parcel arrived in the UK. Fortunately, the delivery was quick and I didn't have to pay customs costs.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #767 of 3,226
^ Hi Ghawke, my Q5s is still in Singapore. The last time I ordered the AM3D it took around 2 weeks to arrive. The Parcelforce tracking only started working when the parcel arrived in the UK. Fortunately, the delivery was quick and I didn't have to pay customs costs.
Thanks, I have been going off the AM3D I ordered from FiiO through Ali Express, the delivery was much quicker from dispatch to delivery. Although it took Fiio almost a week to dispatch the AM3D, it only took 7 days to arrive. With this delivery there appears to be a lot of time waiting around. As far as I can tell my Q5s is either in Hong Kong or in the Air. Ok, I have been waiting since May when I bought the DD case for the Q5s, knowing that it is now on its way, slowly, is great to know.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #768 of 3,226
Anyone in the UK who ordered from Ali Express. Have you got your Q5s yet. Mine has been in Hong Kong since the 29th. And Parcel Force are unable to show they have received any notification of a transfer.

Ghawke I am in the same situation as you. I would assume me and you would get our Q5S on the same day as I am not too far from London.

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #769 of 3,226
Ghawke I am in the same situation as you. I would assume me and you would get our Q5S on the same day as I am not too far from London.
What I cannot understand is why FiiO are unable to use DHL into the UK. Which is what they told me. Other Ali Express sellers are able to use DHL into the UK why then do FiiO use 4PX. With the AM3D FiiO said that they had added postage cost to the sale price. If that policy is the same for the Q5s and all customers paid the same rate, how come Germany and the States get delivery in four days and we in the UK are still waiting for our Q5s to leave the departing ground? Okay that's my morning rant over, how on with my day.

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #770 of 3,226
My Q5S and AM3D are ready to be shipped from Singapore. I would get it next week!
Does FIIO music Android app give an option to choose Bluetooth codec? It would be useful, otherwise one has to dig into Android settings.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #772 of 3,226
What would be the best android app for this? FIIO music app or USB AUDIO PLAYER Pro?
I use UAPP with my Q5 and it is excellent, FiiO Music is still not mature, has lots of bugs, and annoyances. I only use it to have access to Q5 settings and check battery. A standalone app from FiiO that does only this would be better. And also a widget that shows Q5 battery level.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #773 of 3,226
And has anyone played with low pass filter of the DAC chip with FIIO app?
Not much difference between filters with the Q5. "Slow" seems a bit smoother than "Sharp" but it can be my imagination :)

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #774 of 3,226
Hi rsung, sorry I wanted to ask how do you know where your Q5s is - what tracking service are you using. All I can find is still in Hong Kong. Thanks

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #775 of 3,226
i got the q5s yesterday it feels like a little upgrade tp my es 100. the q5s has better resolution better bass and sound fuller and warmer butni think it has less soundstage and i also think less details.the q5s has more hiss then the es 100. compared both in ldac bluetooth on unbalanced 3.5

whit inline output to my s8 it has better resolution bass and fuller sound compared to ldac but it still has less stage then es 100.

it worked 2 minutes whit usb.now dont get it anymore working whit usb. yes i choose usb as output

the app is trash equlizer seems like do nothing 12db + on some frequences does change like +1 db on es 100. i cant hear any differences between the filters.

the finish and look of the q5s is really nice. but there is a very sharp edge near the volume wheel. the volune wheel really feels nice. and you have outputs for every kind of use.

on bluetooth use it gets too hot. like it would explode it burns uncomfortable on my leg when its in my pocket.

it works great in my car audio system it improves the sq in every way.

it feels like a good dac amp, but compared to es 100 it dont seems a good value for its price

remember this is a 4 houres experience review. and i dont get to work in usb mode and didnt use balanced cables where it sould work at his best perfomance

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #776 of 3,226
Finally got around to solder up a 4,4 pentaconn cable. I got the Q5s three days ago, and have only been able to listen to it unbalanced. I can only compare with Dragonfly Red. I stream Tidal over iPhone. In unbalanced mode the Q5s is warmer sounding. Bass is more pronounced and the stage might be a bit wider. Really pleasant in my ears. The Dragonfly is more treble focused but i don't think there's more detail. In balanced with pentaconn we are talking a something completely different!!
I first thought i did a mistake soldering the cable. The first track i played didn't have any center stage. I switch track and it was obvious that my soldering was completely fine. The presence of the instruments and vocals is something I have never heard before. In unbalanced mode I used the bass gain. Now it was not needed anymore. I have always thought these ciem's (DIY) to be lacking a bit in the sub bass. But with the Q5s in balanced mode they are totally fine!
The difference of unbalanced and balanced on the Q5s is so huge in my opinion, that if you don't have a balanced cable, I would advice you to run out and buy one or do like me; fire up the solder station to make one. It's quite fun!
When i comes to hiss there are hiss on some recordings while others are so close to silent that I can't detect it. There are a lot of crappy recordings. And this is even more evident with the Q5s.
The Q5s is a huge upgrade from the Dragonfly Red. Completely worth the money!

Interesting... I use a balanced cable with my HD 6XX and Q5 but apart from more power, I hear no significant difference between balanced and single-ended.
If Q5s has better balanced implementation (discernible difference in separation and soundstage) that would be a big plus!

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #777 of 3,226
i got the q5s yesterday it feels like a little upgrade tp my es 100. the q5s has better resolution better bass and sound fuller and warmer butni think it has less soundstage and i also think less details.the q5s has more hiss then the es 100. compared both in ldac bluetooth on unbalanced 3.5

whit inline output to my s8 it has better resolution bass and fuller sound compared to ldac but it still has less stage then es 100.

it worked 2 minutes whit usb.now dont get it anymore working whit usb. yes i choose usb as output

the app is trash equlizer seems like do nothing 12db + on some frequences does change like +1 db on es 100. i cant hear any differences between the filters.

the finish and look of the q5s is really nice. but there is a very sharp edge near the volume wheel. the volune wheel really feels nice. and you have outputs for every kind of use.

on bluetooth use it gets too hot. like it would explode it burns uncomfortable on my leg when its in my pocket.

it feels like a good dac amp, but compared to es 100 it dont seems a good value for its price

remember this is a 4 houres experience review. and i dont get to work in usb mode and didnt use balanced cables where it sould work at his best perfomance
Was expecting a lot more from this unit to say the least!.....less soundstage than ES100 - maybe I'll just stick with that & NX4. Keep us posted regarding balanced output?

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #778 of 3,226

Yeah, use UAPP for music player, IMO FiiO Music is not up to the task yet.
That heating with BT use is strange... My Q5 is a bit warm when used in BT mode in my pocket but nowhere near "hot".

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #779 of 3,226
Was expecting a lot more from this unit to say the least!.....less soundstage than ES100 - maybe I'll just stick with that & NX4. Keep us posted regarding balanced output?
Actually the Q5s can be the "correct" sounding one and the ES100 can give the impression of wider soundstage because of boosted treble...

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #780 of 3,226
the
the stage of the q5s is not bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back