[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jul 31, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #752 of 3,226
Looking at the specs, the AM3E might be a bit better suited for hard to drive planars, like the Argons (and all T50 mods, obviously). It does have a slightly higher power output than the AM3D and slightly higher maximum current. At least on paper, in practice it may be different. Just looking at the specs, though, the AM3E looks pretty killer. If the AM3D hype (justified or otherwise, I have no idea) wasn't there, there would be a lot more excitement for the AM3E.

With that said, I'd absolutely love to see an even more powerful amp module for the Q5s, but with THX tech in it. Something like an AM5D. Make it put out like a watt balanced. If needed, make it larger. I wouldn't care about battery either if that meant I could use really hard to drive cans with it.

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #753 of 3,226
Side note:

AK4497EQ
  • Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit rate : PCM 768kHz/32-bit, DSD 22.4MHz
  • SNR : 128dB (Mono mode: 131dB)
  • THD+N : -116dB
  • Sound Color Digital Filter : 6 types
  • 346 mW
AK4493EQ
  • Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit rate : PCM 768kHz/32-bit, DSD 22.4MHz
  • SNR : 123dB (Mono mode: 126dB)
  • THD+N : -113dB
  • Sound Color Digital Filter : 6 types
  • 203 mW

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #754 of 3,226
P1012479.jpg

Finally arrived - now to see how it fares against my old setup. Although the bluetooth alone is enough to win me over I'm still very curious to see how it compares.

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #756 of 3,226
I'm very excited for the Q5S to be available in the UK. This paired with the Tin P1 will be a formidable portable setup!
If the hope was to expect... massdrop just informed me that my Tin P1 order has been further delayed, and Q5s is nowhere to be seen.

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #757 of 3,226
What would be the best android app for this? FIIO music app or USB AUDIO PLAYER Pro?

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #758 of 3,226
And has anyone played with low pass filter of the DAC chip with FIIO app?

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #759 of 3,226
If the hope was to expect... massdrop just informed me that my Tin P1 order has been further delayed, and Q5s is nowhere to be seen.
Oh that sucks. I actually cancelled my P1 order back when the drop was active and was lucky enough to pick one up two weeks ago from someone who got in on the Linsoul earlybird units. As for the Q5S...I have been checking Amazon anxiously every day!

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #761 of 3,226

Finally arrived - now to see how it fares against my old setup. Although the bluetooth alone is enough to win me over I'm still very curious to see how it compares.

Hi,

Care to share your review on this Q5S?

Thank you.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #763 of 3,226
Oh wow.... M11 with dual high end DAC + AM3D. Well done Fiio. Price tag? 800-1000$? Specs are not groundbreaking by any means, but given the fact how good M11 is, it has got to be a better sounding unit.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #764 of 3,226
Anyone in the UK who ordered from Ali Express. Have you got your Q5s yet. Mine has been in Hong Kong since the 29th. And Parcel Force are unable to show they have received any notification of a transfer.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #765 of 3,226
Finally got around to solder up a 4,4 pentaconn cable. I got the Q5s three days ago, and have only been able to listen to it unbalanced. I can only compare with Dragonfly Red. I stream Tidal over iPhone. In unbalanced mode the Q5s is warmer sounding. Bass is more pronounced and the stage might be a bit wider. Really pleasant in my ears. The Dragonfly is more treble focused but i don't think there's more detail. In balanced with pentaconn we are talking a something completely different!!
I first thought i did a mistake soldering the cable. The first track i played didn't have any center stage. I switch track and it was obvious that my soldering was completely fine. The presence of the instruments and vocals is something I have never heard before. In unbalanced mode I used the bass gain. Now it was not needed anymore. I have always thought these ciem's (DIY) to be lacking a bit in the sub bass. But with the Q5s in balanced mode they are totally fine!
The difference of unbalanced and balanced on the Q5s is so huge in my opinion, that if you don't have a balanced cable, I would advice you to run out and buy one or do like me; fire up the solder station to make one. It's quite fun!
When i comes to hiss there are hiss on some recordings while others are so close to silent that I can't detect it. There are a lot of crappy recordings. And this is even more evident with the Q5s.
The Q5s is a huge upgrade from the Dragonfly Red. Completely worth the money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back