[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jul 30, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #691 of 3,226
Recently, I became the proud owner of the player from FIIO X5 III, this is my best player! Now I am waiting for a package with Q5S, I hope to make an honest review on Aliexpress. And I really hope to become the owner of the AM3D module.

Jul 30, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #695 of 3,226
Would love to get this one to be honest. Since it looks like it has similar specification with the M11.

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #697 of 3,226
I am contemplating getting myself a Topping D70 and preorder the THX789. But I dont feel like waiting till November to receive the THX789. Q5s+AM3D sounds like a nice alternative. And it is portable too!!!!

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #698 of 3,226
I am contemplating getting myself a Topping D70 and preorder the THX789. But I dont feel like waiting till November to receive the THX789. Q5s+AM3D sounds like a nice alternative. And it is portable too!!!!
Absolutely, FiiO make great gear, in particular their amp/DAC units have always been the strongest in their lineup, IMO. The Q5 was excellent and the Q5s has the potential to be even more-so.

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #699 of 3,226
Absolutely, FiiO make great gear, in particular their amp/DAC units have always been the strongest in their lineup, IMO. The Q5 was excellent and the Q5s has the potential to be even more-so.

I actually have an option to buy a Q5 off my cousin. Was planning to do that and get the AM3D. And then Fiio announced the Q5s.... My entry into portable audio was with a X5iii and EXii iem back in 2017. I've only known Fiio till May this year when i started experimenting with table-top setups.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #702 of 3,226
cant wait anymore i get it tommorow :D

Jul 30, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #703 of 3,226
One day impressions of my Q5s compared to Dragonfly Red and Mojo. I am using 4.4 so that is an automatic advantage in my opinion. Used only with IEMs: Katana, Fw10000, Eden, Bella V2, and Maestro V2. It is surprisingly warmer than DFR. It is not as warm as Mojo but gets close which is also surprising and nice. I like warm but not too warm. Dynamics and black background and holographic sound are better than DFR. I do not have the Mojo at the moment so cannot comment on that part.

Balanced out of the Q5s with IEMs is very obviously better in the area of holographic sound as well as Bluetooth vs. USB connection. USB is so much more dynamic. I do look forward to the ergonomic advantage of Bluetooth when out and about. My listening so far has been done in a controlled environment (home).

I think 3.5 out of Q5s vs DFR is rather similar. Again I must note the increase in sound quality going balanced vs. unbalanced IMHO.

I also find the Fiio left angled micro to lightning connector very nice when stacking with my phone ($20 from Ali Express). The one it comes with is not angled but is more flexible and should suffice for most stacking IOS needs. The angled one works perfectly with 3.5 when stacking. Works well with 4.4 (the 4.4 goes in-between the angled cable). The angled cable will get in the way of any 2.5 balanced connection so stick with stock short micro to lightning connection.

Alright enough said. Back to the reality of life. grrrrrrrrrr.

Jul 30, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #704 of 3,226
Also a few posts back I noted a hiss with Q5s with just my Katana and only when balanced. All other IEMs I have do not have any hiss.

The Katana does have a hiss when run balanced but it does tend to go away into the background as music is playing. It is not annoying enough to be annoyed by it :)

And I am super sensitive to hiss.

Jul 30, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #705 of 3,226
Can someone compare the sound quality between M11 and Q5S? I am not sure which one to get since M11 can also be used as a DAC, if they sound the same, I may want to go with M11 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back