[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jul 28, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #571 of 3,226
okay, we all agree that we are waiting for Fiio Q5s with AM3d bundle. let's tell the admin what we want
I purchased the AM3D in readiness for the Q5s. The AM3D was £144 and I managed to avoid import cost, and the Q5s was £270, which if I avoid import cost - means that my "Bundle" could cost £414, I am planning to link the Q5s with my M6 but am now thinking of linking it to an M5. Might be fun to have the data on my wrist and the processing power in my pocket.

Jul 28, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #572 of 3,226
I've been looking at getting the Q5s however I could find any comments about using the Q5s with sensitive IEMs. Does anyone have any experience using the Q5s with sensitive IEMs?

Jul 28, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #573 of 3,226
Seems like Chinese manufacturers are in the limelight for the right reasons in recent times. They seem to be producing audiophile equipments/IEMs on par with their western counterparts and I'm curious to see how this would stack up against the Chord Mojo or iFi Micro BL

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #575 of 3,226
Seems like Chinese manufacturers are in the limelight for the right reasons in recent times. They seem to be producing audiophile equipments/IEMs on par with their western counterparts and I'm curious to see how this would stack up against the Chord Mojo or iFi Micro BL
just some manufactors on others you still feel the made in china quality

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #576 of 3,226
can the q5s accept and process a DSD formatted file via bluetooth using the onkyo player also, can the PDIF optical input of the q5s process signal beyond 24bit-96khz ?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #577 of 3,226
Very curious to read reviews of the Q5s when paired with the AM3D. Sounds like it’s could be a portable champ. I am quite into the AK4493’s sound quality as implemented on my DAP. If this is an improvement to that sound, well, damn.
Hopefully I'll know soon. I purchased the AM3D for my Q5 and my Q5s has shipped already so within a week I will happily be able to answer that question. Which DAP is it that you are referring to?

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #578 of 3,226
Very curious to read reviews of the Q5s when paired with the AM3D. Sounds like it’s could be a portable champ. I am quite into the AK4493’s sound quality as implemented on my DAP. If this is an improvement to that sound, well, damn.
I also like the sound of this AK family of chips, and clearly FiiO know how to implement them. I recently wanted to try a new affordable, but according to audiosciencereview measurements a very solid performing DAC so I picked up the SMSL SU-8 and I use the balanced output into my NAD M3.

I was able to listen to the SU-8 and my Q5 as a DAC and I have to say I think I prefer the FiiO/AKM presentation of music. I am not one to hear differences in DACs very much, but it seemed in this comparison quite obvious that the SU-8 shines a more detailed spotlight on the sound which does provide more very fine detail, but I found it less relaxing to listen to when using headphones. The Q5 by way of comparison seemed smoother, but very easy to listen to the music and very engaging. Now for speakers as my KEF R300s tend to be a little restrained sounding really benefit from the SU-8 so I am still extremely happy with it in my system as the speaker use was really why I picked it up anyway. All of that to say it simply confirms for me how good FiiO have become at these small footprint devices.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #579 of 3,226
Is the Q5s worth getting it if you use the Q5 already? Would the different be big enough?
I adore my Q5 and use it on a daily basis otherwise I'd know the answer already

I don't expect the audible difference between DACs to be that big if any. Different amp modules - yes more likely to sound a bit different.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #580 of 3,226
Question: how does the Q5S deal with interference? I love my Mojo, but if it's bear a good 'ol noise source it will noise. I'll seriously consider the Q5s if it is especially resistant to this kind of thing in USB DAC/amp mode and relegate my Mojo to desktop use, where it's universally great.

I didn't have any interference when using my Q5 in USB or BT mode with either my phone or desktop PC. I think Q5s will be the same.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #581 of 3,226
I also like the sound of this AK family of chips, and clearly FiiO know how to implement them. I recently wanted to try a new affordable, but according to audiosciencereview measurements a very solid performing DAC so I picked up the SMSL SU-8 and I use the balanced output into my NAD M3.

I was able to listen to the SU-8 and my Q5 as a DAC and I have to say I think I prefer the FiiO/AKM presentation of music. I am not one to hear differences in DACs very much, but it seemed in this comparison quite obvious that the SU-8 shines a more detailed spotlight on the sound which does provide more very fine detail, but I found it less relaxing to listen to when using headphones. The Q5 by way of comparison seemed smoother, but very easy to listen to the music and very engaging. Now for speakers as my KEF R300s tend to be a little restrained sounding really benefit from the SU-8 so I am still extremely happy with it in my system as the speaker use was really why I picked it up anyway. All of that to say it simply confirms for me how good FiiO have become at these small footprint devices.
I'm curious what you mean by the sound of this family of chips. I've noticed wild differences in amping, but haven't played with DACs much.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #582 of 3,226
I'm curious what you mean by the sound of this family of chips. I've noticed wild differences in amping, but haven't played with DACs much.
who knows in wich peli case or similar the q5s will fit best whit an iem ?

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #583 of 3,226
Hopefully I'll know soon. I purchased the AM3D for my Q5 and my Q5s has shipped already so within a week I will happily be able to answer that question. Which DAP is it that you are referring to?

My current DAP is the Shanling M5s. Based on my experience with the popular AKM4490 that the 4493 is supposed to replace, the newer chip has improved the bass response to be quicker and more detailed. The treble is also smoother even when boosted or better extended.

Yeah, I definitely feel like the technology is making notable improvements in the DAC chip and implementation area. I’m curious to hear the difference the AM3D makes for myself. Desktop ladder DACs and amps have gotten much better in the sub-$700 price range. If the portable amps are improving at a similar clip, I think we might be hitting the golden age of mid-tier price/performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back