[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #32 of 3,226
I just checked this on my Q5. The bass boost, gain, and volume control are only applied to the headphone output. They have no effect on the line out.

Thanks for checking it out for me. Ah that's a bit of a pity

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #33 of 3,226
Apologies if this sounds like a silly question, but is anyone able to please list the improvements or benefits of the Q5s over the Q5? I wanted the Q5 but the added cost to get 4.4mm pushed it over the top for me.
Would anyone with the original consider upgrading?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #34 of 3,226
Apologies if this sounds like a silly question, but is anyone able to please list the improvements or benefits of the Q5s over the Q5? I wanted the Q5 but the added cost to get 4.4mm pushed it over the top for me.

Nope, keeping my Q5, it’s perfectly fine.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #37 of 3,226
Thanks for checking it out for me. Ah that's a bit of a pity
That's how line-out is supposed to work in any device: clean pre-amped output, nothing else.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #38 of 3,226

10258790.jpeg

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #40 of 3,226
That's how line-out is supposed to work in any device: clean pre-amped output, nothing else.
Usually, yes, but I wasn't sure if it has a preamp control. The Micro iDSD BL's bass boost and 3d effect works in lineout when it's in preamp mode...so I was just curious if the Q5 maybe had the same

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #41 of 3,226
Thank you very much - based on the specs should there be an noticeable improvement in sound quality?
You're welcome.
When it comes to numbers and higher res codecs, that depends on ones ability to hear and especially imagine :)
When it comes to the fact that it uses different DAC and AMP module, we'll have to wait and see some reviews / impressions. The sound signature can be slightly different, that doesn't mean better.

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #43 of 3,226
You're welcome.
When it comes to numbers and higher res codecs, that depends on ones ability to hear and especially imagine :)
When it comes to the fact that it uses different DAC and AMP module, we'll have to wait and see some reviews / impressions. The sound signature can be slightly different, that doesn't mean better.
Sensible answer.
I don't know much about specs, I was just being impatiently optimistic.
I ended up with an ifi xDSD which sounds great but I have never gotten used to the odd controls - it reminds me of those movies where they get into the cockpit of an UFO.
Also 4.4mm is a nice solid connection I have happily adopted and I would be happy to do away with the extra 3.5 TRRS adapter I have to use.

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #44 of 3,226
Sensible answer.
I don't know much about specs, I was just being impatiently optimistic.
I ended up with an ifi xDSD which sounds great but I have never gotten used to the odd controls - it reminds me of those movies where they get into the cockpit of an UFO.
Also 4.4mm is a nice solid connection I have happily adopted and I would be happy to do away with the extra 3.5 TRRS adapter I have to use.
He he, I'd say stay with your UFO :) it's a nice alien biscuit sandwich and I heard it sounds close to the Micro iDSD Black Label that I had the pleasure to listen to and I liked more than my Q5.
The rest are details. But it's your money, if you're eager for a new toy, go for it :)

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #45 of 3,226
He he, I'd say stay with your UFO :) it's a nice alien biscuit sandwich and I heard it sounds close to the Micro iDSD Black Label that I had the pleasure to listen to and I liked more than my Q5.
The rest are details. But it's your money, if you're eager for a new toy, go for it :)
You represent the sensible voice I hear in one ear, while the other voice in the other ear leads me astray :alien:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back