[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Feb 24, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2,971 of 3,226
There are digital filters as well, you can change that with the Fiio app. "Sharp Roll-off" gives most bass. Try that as well. If you decide try it and don't hear change immediately, leave it at sharp roll-off and listen so. After days try another, you will see the other filters are more soft sounding. And less bass.
AKM Description :
IMG_20210225_073122.jpg

IMG_20210225_073136.jpg

ESS Description :
IMG_20210225_072536.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #2,973 of 3,226
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #2,974 of 3,226
Putting lg v30 / lg v40 against q5s tc is nearly embarassing for them at times ( for both : for some songs this is very discernible )
as for sound quality , instruments timbral reference , detail retrieval , stage , presence of extra glare in the highs ( both ) . Nearly anything. My ears but ,well.

They sound engaging , but quite far less linear too.

This review reads *a little kind of biased ( rap gunshots apart )

Battery is quite good by the way;
better then Mojo

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #2,975 of 3,226
Try using equalizer and see how are things then.

The bass boost lowers the mids and the treble when you activate it. It is actually OK if you listen music very loud (guess rap is for listening above average volume levels ? Same for movies.).

Amp part is not the best, but the DAC is excellent. If you have other amplifiers, connect them to the line out and try so as well. :ok_hand: See how it is.

There are digital filters as well, you can change that with the Fiio app. "Sharp Roll-off" gives most bass. Try that as well. If you decide try it and don't hear change immediately, leave it at sharp roll-off and listen so. After days try another, you will see the other filters are more soft sounding. And less bass.
I use bit perfect in UAPP.

Putting lg v30 / lg v40 against q5s tc is nearly embarassing for them at times ( for both : for some songs this is very discernible )
as for sound quality , instruments timbral reference , detail retrieval , stage , presence of extra glare in the highs ( both ) . Nearly anything. My ears but ,well.

They sound engaging , but quite far less linear too.

This review reads *a little kind of biased ( rap gunshots apart )

Battery is quite good by the way;
better then Mojo
Mojo sounds much better then the LG V30, IFI xdsd and ofc Q5s TC. However QC suckkksss. Mine died 7 months in and trying to get it replaced was a no go. They refuse to honor their 1 year warranty. Even though it's never been dropped, hit by water ect.

Also how is it biased? I compared it to the Q3, IFI hip dac and LG V30. I don't hear ANY difference between the Q3 and the Q5s TC. Q3 is 150 and the Q5s TC is 360. The IFI hip dac is 150 and sounds better than the other two. Let's not forget how the Q5s TC is rated by audioscience.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-portable-dac-thx-headphone-amp-review.15105/

I came across this a few days before I made my review. Also to be perfectly honest, every review on headfi is extremely biased in favor of the unit they get to review for free. It always reads as a glowing review. So one review that is not favorable is considered biased? Come on man...

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #2,978 of 3,226
I am definitely not enjoying this setup :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Not good because asr says so.

Sell it and get yourself an asr objective recommended device.

We are in a pay roll here from various companies to provide positive reviews for getting free samples.

Guys I'm looking to do some AB testing with a few different amps. Could anyone recommend which type of rap gunshots are best to use?
9mm parabellum.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #2,979 of 3,226
I use bit perfect in UAPP.
That's good.

For more bass however, turn off the bit-perfect and go to EQ settings, raise the first two sliders on the left for 32 and 62hz (with lets say +3-4db). And set the bar above to -5db to avoid destortion in sound.

You know, this is device that is described as neutral, so it has flat response throughout the frequencies. If you do not like its sound....so it is i guess. Take a look at reviews meybe next time when looking after Fiio device. Most of them are neutral, so if you don't like this, then my advice is use EQ and all will be fine. They have good features and functionality.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #2,980 of 3,226
WMojo sounds much better then the LG V30, IFI xdsd and ofc Q5s TC. However QC suckkksss. Mine died 7 months in and trying to get it replaced was a no go. They refuse to honor their 1 year warranty. Even though it's never been dropped, hit by water ect.

Also how is it biased? I compared it to the Q3, IFI hip dac and LG V30. I don't hear ANY difference between the Q3 and the Q5s TC. Q3 is 150 and the Q5s TC is 360. The IFI hip dac is 150 and sounds better than the other two. Let's not forget how the Q5s TC is rated by audioscience.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-portable-dac-thx-headphone-amp-review.15105/

I came across this a few days before I made my review. Also to be perfectly honest, every review on headfi is extremely biased in favor of the unit they get to review for free. It always reads as a glowing review. So one review that is not favorable is considered biased? Come on man...
We were not disussing Fiio costumer care which might be a point worth discussing ;
but about sound quality.

My point and yours possibly too wasn't also about Chord Mojo..
but I did head-to-head comparison and review too for both Fiio and Chord units and with multiple cans as reference , balanced and unbalanced operations , with and without filters and eq etc

It was about preferring Lg v30 to the Fiio Q5s-TC for sound quality
Rap gunshot apart as I admittedly didnt make this particular listening and audio test ( if you want to provide track/album I will do it and report ; I am curious too now :) ) reading that v30 sounds better then the Q5s-TC is hylarous :frowning2: or just wrong .

There is no way .. the thing is very discernible .
Lg v30 and v40 sound fast , quite fun , and with glare and some shrillness too ; bass control is nowhere.., even not a remote hint of it .
They have nothing hi-end about balance and timbral reference ;
for detail retrieval they lag behind the Q5s-TC in balanced operations , it is very discernible , in the way that you hear things with the Q5s-TC that you simply do not hear with Lg v30 or v40 ; obviously in their only optionable unbalanced configuration.

To talk about dynamics/macro dynamics : they are in different league ,
v30 sounds steroidly flat compared , to the resolution and transients that Q5s-TC displays . Much better , noticeably better .

blabla
it is quite hard to make an effort and understand this
LG V30, it's a quad dac with MQA support. It's a smartphone that out performs the Q5s TC. The ONE thing the Q5s TC was built for and can't even do a good job.

even forcing things or accounting that you did not use any filter or eq , on both unit ,
it is out of reach to consider serious what you wrote here :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #2,981 of 3,226
That's good.

For more bass however, turn off the bit-perfect and go to EQ settings, raise the first two sliders on the left for 32 and 62hz (with lets say +3-4db). And set the bar above to -5db to avoid destortion in sound.

You know, this is device that is described as neutral, so it has flat response throughout the frequencies. If you do not like its sound....so it is i guess. Take a look at reviews meybe next time when looking after Fiio device. Most of them are neutral, so if you don't like this, then my advice is use EQ and all will be fine. They have good features and functionality.
Thanks for that tip. That will help in some of my music. I just honestly thought this would be a step up from the Q3. To me, it's not. The Q5s TC just seems like a Q3 with bluetooth. Also even though it's listed as flat/neutral, just don't seem like it. I listen to everything. Rap, rock, dance and then my favorite guy Luciano Pavarotti. The Q5s TC seems to do a horrible job on him. Surprisingly the Q3 while playing Pavarotti is very enjoyable. Not really understanding how or why.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #2,983 of 3,226
It was about preferring Lg v30 to the Fiio Q5s-TC .

Rap gunshot apart as I admit I didnt make in particular this listening audio test ( if you want to provide track/album I will do it and report ; I am curious too now ),
reading that v30 sounds better then the Q5s-TC is hylarous :frowning2: or just wrong .
I figured I would throw in the LG V30 since that seemed to be good for listening to everything. As far as "gunshots", maybe a huge mistake for an example since everyone zeroed in on it. I just figured rap is popular, and everyone knows what a gunshot sounds like. The mojo and V30 was realistic. The Q3 and Q5s TC is artificial. The hip dac also comes off real. So I was trying to give a relatable example.

Now, my major point, why should the Q5s TC cost 360 when it's basically a Q3 with bluetooth? I thought this was a step up from the $150 Q3 and hip dac. The hip dac blows it away. Again, I think FIIO dropped the ball in firmware and should issue a new firmware since the Q5s HAS the hardware. If anyone says there is no room for improvement is just lying. Did I have high expectations? Yes! Am I hugely disappointed? Yes! Did I search for reviews other then headfi? Yes. There were many reviews pointing links to audioscience. I decided to check it out. Did I ever go to audioscience before then, or even know about that website? No!

I was simply looking for other reviews to see if others felt the same. I've even seen users saying FIIO would do much better if they open sourced the tools and firmware since other people could do a better job. Would that ever happen? No.

Grab a good source of Luciano Pavarotti, play it on the Q3 ( if you have one), then play it on the Q5s TC. Let me know how it renders for you.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #2,985 of 3,226
I don't have a Fiio Q3
I am not sure why I should get the Ifi hip-dac if I am quite completely satisfied for sound quality on portable with the Q5s-TC
I have demanding ears btw and piled multiple portables before finding and setting , for a while at least , on the Q5s-TC
no reasons to move now that I have just set ;

but since I can return it on Amazon after the test , then I could get it for comparing them.

I have a Burson Soloist other then multiple cans for reference , and what you write about the v30 makes no sense to me .. no offense intended.
I am curious about your references though now : not because Rap is more or less widespread then a large number of genres used for both pleasure and test purpose here on head fi , I'd like to know what is that track/rap/album with the gunshot to be able to compare too , if you can share . I am just curious .Thanks , appreciated .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back