[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
May 1, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #76 of 3,226
PS : @toughnut
Hey, what's that about losing a USB port? I might have missed something here.

On older Q5, you have one port on the device and another port on amp module. On Q5s, the port on device removed.

For Q5, you can swap function between ports via iOS app. Which port for charging OR data. This solved the battery draining when connecting to phone as external DAC.

Q5s seem like have mode selector for its single port. Shall see when release.

May 1, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #77 of 3,226
On older Q5, you have one port on the device and another port on amp module. On Q5s, the port on device removed.

For Q5, you can swap function between ports via iOS app. Which port for charging OR data. This solved the battery draining when connecting to phone as external DAC.

Q5s seem like have mode selector for its single port. Shall see when release.
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying! While that was indeed a nice feature to have, it's one of those "meh" things, I'm not gonna be bummed it's gone. Especially since I haven't owned anything Apple since an iPod Touch in 2009 or something. What I am bummed about is the use of micro-USB instead of USB-C. I remember that Fiio had their reasons, but still, USB-C is the future of connectivity and micro-USB is the crappiest, most fragile connector in modern devices. I would be much less frustrated about it if I only intended to use the Q5s with my phone via bluetooth when I get it, but it's going to serve as my PC's DAC/amp for the foreseeable future because I don't have a proper desktop setup yet. So I don't feel particularly thrilled about having to plug and unplug that thing constantly. That said, at least Fiio seem to be using quality micro-USB connectors even on their cheap devices. On my lowly Q1 (1st gen, whiskey flask) that I've had for almost 2 years, the port has given me 0 problems despite the abuse it's gone through. It gets plugged and unplugged multiple times a day, gets stressed when connected to my phone in my pocket, yada yada, and it isn't even becoming loose like all of my old phones that used the same connector.

May 1, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #78 of 3,226
According to Apple, USB C is for “pro” device :wink:

FiiO latest M series DAP come with USB C so might be missed opportunity here by FiiO or might be for compatibility issue with X7ii and Q5 as the port is solely on the amp module now.

May 4, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #80 of 3,226
May 5, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #82 of 3,226
Woah, thank you! :)

I'm sure I'll be writing about Q5s as well! :)

Q5 was one of my favorite DAC/AMPs, and it still is :)
Good to hear - ideally I wanted 4.4mm which meant an extra cost for the AM3B so I ended up going with another one, but if I'm keen to see what opinions of the Q5s are like

May 6, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #83 of 3,226
I have 3 questions:

1 This DAC uses micro usb right? It´s possible that this implementation increase a little bit the compatibility with android phones? I know that OTG increases the chances, i wanted first the Q1 MkII but seems almost iphone exclusive.
2 It´s possible to conect a classic game console to my PC and use this DAC to output the audio from those games? I´m referring to consoles that use RCA audio and Optic audio like the N64, PS2 or Wii. I know the audio that output those consoles is very low quality but is something i want to try.
3. To people who bought previous DAC , what is the recomend time to buy new products until the factory correct bugs and things like that?

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #85 of 3,226
I would hope not. The Q5 is a well established product by now, and the Q5s just replaces it. It's not a higher end model. So I would assume that they would chase market availability right out of the gate, they don't need to gauge interest. I hope so, at least, because I want to buy one really soon.

May 7, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #88 of 3,226
Is there a date when we can pre order this item?

I want to make sure I can get one soon. Ticks all the boxes for me
Dear friend,

Thank you for the kind interest on our products.

If everything goes well, the Q5s will be available in this month. Stay tuned!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 7, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #89 of 3,226
Dear friend,

Thank you for the kind interest on our products.

If everything goes well, the Q5s will be available in this month. Stay tuned!

Best regards
Can you please tell me if the Q5s will be priced the same as when the Q5 was released?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back