[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
May 22, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #136 of 3,226
I'm going with Q5S + M5 for offline playback.

For your instance Q5S + Mac will be ideal for Tidal... Atleast my vote goes there.

Also there is Topping DX3 Pro (I don't own any) with similar internal out there which is ideal for desktop usage with half of the price of Q5s.... But minus portability and balance port.

I assume that you can save some Tidal playlists in the SD card for offline playback...? could not find this info anywhere...

May 22, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #137 of 3,226
I assume that you can save some Tidal playlists in the SD card for offline playback...? could not find this info anywhere...

For M5 the answer is No, here offline playback I meant personal collection and use as cheap source device. No streaming service supported natively by M5... Unless it use for BT feature.

If you choose Q5s then your streaming goes either Computer or Phone. Decide this first.

If you choose M11 you can save Tidal offline track at the Sd Card for now but also remember official google application suit support is not there...(Tidal and other Android app side load is possible)..And in future if Tidal change the policy and drop support you stuck, For your Andriod phone it never happen (unless it is Huawei as the recent report suggest).

If you choose M11 you will loose Fiio Amp combo + usage of power hungry headphones.

As you mentioned source as Mac , so I assume portability is not your top priority.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #138 of 3,226
Question for some of you, With some of us ( Including myself ) really having to scratch that device want, Would it be worth it to get the Q5 now if its at a good price say <$250 then wait for the Q5s? I know the AM3B is out for the 4.4mm and the THX module will be available for either devices but as much as I love my AAA portable I really want Bluetooth for ease of use.

If someone can help me with this dilemma I would appreciate it lol.

May 22, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #139 of 3,226
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 22, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #140 of 3,226
Question for some of you, With some of us ( Including myself ) really having to scratch that device want, Would it be worth it to get the Q5 now if its at a good price say <$250 then wait for the Q5s? I know the AM3B is out for the 4.4mm and the THX module will be available for either devices but as much as I love my AAA portable I really want Bluetooth for ease of use.

You might as well wait. Unless you have excess cash to burn or you have an avenue to sell it on afterwards

Edit. Or get a BTR3 or es100 untill the Q5S comes out.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #141 of 3,226
You might as well wait. Unless you have excess cash to burn or you have an avenue to sell it on afterwards

Edit. Or get a BTR3 or es100 untill the Q5S comes out.

I have the ES100 and not really impressed by it with the headphones I use. But I guess the Q5s is that much better in regards to LDAC APTXHD ect. Just have the want it now itch. Thanks for the advice.

May 22, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #142 of 3,226
I have the ES100 and not really impressed by it with the headphones I use. But I guess the Q5s is that much better in regards to LDAC APTXHD ect. Just have the want it now itch. Thanks for the advice.
Bluetooth music whitout ldac sucks ibwould never get such a device wait for q5s

May 22, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #143 of 3,226

Honestly I prefer the sound of the BTR3

The main reason I use the es100 is the app with all its options and usability (fiio take note)

I can't wait for the Q5S as a semi portable dac

May 22, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #144 of 3,226
Honestly I prefer the sound of the BTR3

The main reason I use the es100 is the app with all its options and usability (fiio take note)

I can't wait for the Q5S as a semi portable dac

Yeah the same reason why I use it as well. I did try the Auris Amplify which I was very very surprised at the audio quality but not enough power to drive my XCs

May 22, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #145 of 3,226
Honestly, one of my favorite device combos on a budget so far has been my Q1 with a BTR3. My father owns a BTR3, but I never wanted anything to do with bluetooth until recently. That little thing convinced me otherwise. I borrowed it for a few days to try it and, while its lack of power did annoy me (barely pushing my 58x and MSR7 loud enough-granted, the MSR7 are modded and quite a bit less efficient than stock), the quality it offered was great, especially considering the price and wireless operation. So I started using LDAC from my phone to the BTR3, I blue tacked the BTR3 to my Q1, connected the BTR3 to the Q1's line in and then plugged my headphones into the Q1. I was amazed by the fact that this actually sounded quite a bit better than the Q1 by itself through USB. Cleaner is the word. I know the Q1 isn't anything special, ok, but the BTR3 costs about the same as the Q1 did and it's SMALL. I never expected it to sound better. The Q1, turns out, is a weak DAC, but its amp section is decent considering the price and its age. Now, I half wanted to get a BTR3 myself, but realized I don't want to half-arse this and decided to go for the Q5. Then I realized that there's the Q5s around the corner and here I am... That said, I still maintain that nothing can beat the BTR3 for IEMs. Get a short cable (Fiio offers one with MMCX, perfect for my Tin T2s), clip it to your shirt, put your IEMs in, boom, wireless.

As for the M11 vs Q5s question. I never understood why some people are so fixated on using DAPs. With how great phones have become nowadays, I see no point in these devices as long as I can connect a DAC/amp to my phone. There's the argument that I then have to carry 2 devices, but that's irrelevant because I was going to be carrying my phone anyway, so a DAP or a DAC/amp is a second device on me regardless. I could also get why some people would not want to deal with having their phone wired to a DAC/amp on the go, but with devices like the Q5, that's not a problem. So I would go with the Q5s, not the M11. Don't get me wrong, the M11 looks like a wicked good DAP, it's just not for me, like all DAPs.

May 22, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #146 of 3,226

Pop a 3.5mm Bluetooth receiver like an Mpow into the Line-in. It may not be pretty but it does get the job done for hundreds of dollars less. Just a suggestion.

May 22, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #147 of 3,226
Pop a 3.5mm Bluetooth receiver like an Mpow into the Line-in. It may not be pretty but it does get the job done for hundreds of dollars less. Just a suggestion.

I've already ventured down that path with the ES100, and it works but it's not ideal, I fly a lot and the less things to get knocked around the better.

May 22, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #148 of 3,226
Hi. I've lost the cable to connect my iPod touch to a q5. Does anybody know where I can get another?

I found a replacement Lightning to mini-USB cable with right angle connectors at Audio 46 ( https://audio46.com ) in New York City. Bought two of them back in Feb, they were US$20 each. If you can't find it on their site, give them a call and describe what you're looking for, they will know exactly what to send out.

May 22, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #149 of 3,226
Does anybody have info on the power specs for the amp module on the Q5S? I want to use it as my desktop dac/amp to power my headphones when at home, and just grab it for IEM listening on the go.

May 23, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #150 of 3,226
As for the M11 vs Q5s question. I never understood why some people are so fixated on using DAPs. With how great phones have become nowadays, I see no point in these devices as long as I can connect a DAC/amp to my phone. There's the argument that I then have to carry 2 devices, but that's irrelevant because I was going to be carrying my phone anyway, so a DAP or a DAC/amp is a second device on me regardless. I could also get why some people would not want to deal with having their phone wired to a DAC/amp on the go, but with devices like the Q5, that's not a problem. So I would go with the Q5s, not the M11. Don't get me wrong, the M11 looks like a wicked good DAP, it's just not for me, like all DAPs.

What you wrote about I absolutely agree with your point of view, But I can think of one or two reasons why / who wants a dedicated DAP.

(1) People with lots of High Res format (DSD, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, APE) Audio purchased/collected from different sources and want to carry them on the go or access them off the desk...i,e without any Computer...Zero faith in Lossy format despite their hearing capability.

(2) The above category people usually own a single or more than one very very high-end expensive IEM, they are absolutely satisfied and realized as their end game, Don't want to use any Full-Size headphone / not interested at all / not like to do any experiment.

(3) No expandable memory at their phone / too hard to transfer all those music collections/ Don't want to clutter their phone....Not much faith in Music Streaming and want to Physically / Digitally own their music.

(4) A large collection of Physical format at their home from the early days from the pre-digital era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back