FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #391 of 761
Oh, this was exactly my Question before I accidently hit the final "order" button at HifiGo for the Fiio Q15, which I have now :relaxed:
I don't own the XDuoo, but from all that one can read, it should be more colored than the Q15. I also would like to stress that you can at least easily take the Q15 with you while traveling, not taking too much space in a bag or during train rides – and this was very welcome to me.

When I first heard the Q15, I was dissapointed, as it was not spectacular. But after some time, I think that I got burned in (maybe the device got burned in, but I suppose it was me ...) My final opinion is that it is very neutral – it doesn't make a recording better or change the signature of a headphone, but it stresses their qualities very well. For me, that was especially obvious with Ikko OH10, which sounded way more accurate with the Q15. My dissapointment came from listening to Hifiman Ananda – I first thought, it sounded better from the smaller BTR7. In fact, it only sounded louder and more in your face, but it tunred out that it was also quite a bit muddy. Instead, listening to complex and well recorded music with the Q15 is pure pleasure.
That said – keep in mind that it is not a "slam" device, at least not without the equalizer function. And if you like the style and appeal of the XDuoo (I still like it, from pictures), the Q15 will not give you that.
Your description sounds somewhat similar to my Topping D90 but hope the Q15 is not similar to my Topping G5! I’ve only been able to find synergy between my G5 and a set of planar IEM’s. With the headphones I‘ve tried, the G5 sounds disappointingly sterile and unappealing. I think for many people a primary question is whether the Q15 actually sounds musical enough, or technical and neutral to the point of sterile and lifeless.

If you’re an owner of the new Q15, please share your thoughts on tonality and timbre!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #392 of 761
Thankfully, Q15 sounds nothing like Topping G5 - at least in my experience.

I've had G5 for a brief moment and I was also disappointed with its' rather underwhelming sound.
It was just OK, but nothing like I expected - people praised it for being as good as some $500+ DAC/AMPs and I couldn't find why.
To me it sounded just like Tanchjim Space - which corresponds to what you've already mentioned: quite sterile.

Q15 is still rather neutral in terms of coloration, but it's got that energy, that punch. It's way more lively and engaging.

YMMV, though.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #398 of 761
How much w does it need for desktop mode. Might use a powerbank

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #399 of 761
How much w does it need for desktop mode. Might use a powerbank
The quick start manual only states USB PD3.0, the power brick I am using can supply 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, and 20V/5A. It's a Baseus 100W USB PD GaN III charger.

Attachments

• 1706111708855.png
    1706111708855.png
    981 KB · Views: 0
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #401 of 761
I listened to it yesterday but mostly today for a few hours. I know that I am comparing incomparably, since these players are each in a different price category:
DaP Shanling M3s – 300 euros,
DaC FIIO Q15 – 400 euros,
DaP Sony MW WM1Z - 3300Eur.
Shanling was the first, years later I bought a second-hand Sony (1500Eur) and now I needed something universal. Coaxial input around CD, USB, Bluetooth, but mainly 2V line output, because Sony only has 0.7V 3.5mm. It will not stimulate the power amp enough, especially on weaker recordings. I don't want a preamplifier, I only have a relay volume control. Cheap spoils the sound and expensive is a useless investment. I haven't tried it with speakers yet given the circumstances. I have to be hom alone because of the volume. These are just my impressions and opinions.
At first I switched between 1 and 2, after a few hours between 2 and 3.
Yesterday I remained very skeptical about the very harsh sound and distortion. After a while I found out that it was woken up around the EQ. I pulled the gain down to -7 and the sound cleared up.
The equalizer works well of course via bluetooth. It can be used directly in the application via USB. I forgot to turn it off and connected to usb. I had to use the factory settings to disable the EQ. You have to remember that.
In terms of performance, of course, the Q15 is at the top of the three. Then Sony and M3S as the weakest of them. Headphones Gjallarhorn GH50 JM 33OhM, 116dB.
Q15 Compared to the Shanling, it has more detail, punch, more space, better separation, as if each instrument is more separated from the others.
Shanling: The singer is more in the listener's head. There is more space on the Q15, it is more impressive. Shanling has something in the low frequencies that is tiring and annoying after long listening. The bass is not fused, but something hums there. It's not in every song, but most of the time. Fluency and smoothness are probably comparable for both.
The Q15 sounds quite good, nice, for the price of 400 Euros, about OK. During this period, I did not try other players in this price category of 400Eur
Sony seems to be reassuring. Sony's sound seems to me to be more mature. The music flows smoothly, without jolts. Maybe it's my impression, maybe it's because Sony has a bigger body. Everything else happens around him. And maybe Q15 has more resolution of.
Yesterday I was under the impression that the Q15 was flat. Either I got used to him, or it's psychoacoustics, or I don't know. I'm replacing three players today and I don't have this feeling.
Please take me with a grain of salt, I'm not an expert on these things. In some time I will write how it plays with the final amplifier and speakers. I wish everyone good health.
I returned the Fiio Q15 after listening to the Musician Pegasus r2r dac. Since I needed a dac mainly for a desktop amp, a desktop version was one option. I don't want to compare them with each other because of the different price, it wouldn't be fair. I ended up buying a second-hand Pegasus and I'm happy.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #402 of 761
I listened to it yesterday but mostly today for a few hours. I know that I am comparing incomparably, since these players are each in a different price category:
DaP Shanling M3s – 300 euros,
DaC FIIO Q15 – 400 euros,
DaP Sony MW WM1Z - 3300Eur.
Shanling was the first, years later I bought a second-hand Sony (1500Eur) and now I needed something universal. Coaxial input around CD, USB, Bluetooth, but mainly 2V line output, because Sony only has 0.7V 3.5mm. It will not stimulate the power amp enough, especially on weaker recordings. I don't want a preamplifier, I only have a relay volume control. Cheap spoils the sound and expensive is a useless investment. I haven't tried it with speakers yet given the circumstances. I have to be hom alone because of the volume. These are just my impressions and opinions.
At first I switched between 1 and 2, after a few hours between 2 and 3.
Yesterday I remained very skeptical about the very harsh sound and distortion. After a while I found out that it was woken up around the EQ. I pulled the gain down to -7 and the sound cleared up.
The equalizer works well of course via bluetooth. It can be used directly in the application via USB. I forgot to turn it off and connected to usb. I had to use the factory settings to disable the EQ. You have to remember that.
In terms of performance, of course, the Q15 is at the top of the three. Then Sony and M3S as the weakest of them. Headphones Gjallarhorn GH50 JM 33OhM, 116dB.
Q15 Compared to the Shanling, it has more detail, punch, more space, better separation, as if each instrument is more separated from the others.
Shanling: The singer is more in the listener's head. There is more space on the Q15, it is more impressive. Shanling has something in the low frequencies that is tiring and annoying after long listening. The bass is not fused, but something hums there. It's not in every song, but most of the time. Fluency and smoothness are probably comparable for both.
The Q15 sounds quite good, nice, for the price of 400 Euros, about OK. During this period, I did not try other players in this price category of 400Eur
Sony seems to be reassuring. Sony's sound seems to me to be more mature. The music flows smoothly, without jolts. Maybe it's my impression, maybe it's because Sony has a bigger body. Everything else happens around him. And maybe Q15 has more resolution of.
Yesterday I was under the impression that the Q15 was flat. Either I got used to him, or it's psychoacoustics, or I don't know. I'm replacing three players today and I don't have this feeling.
Please take me with a grain of salt, I'm not an expert on these things. In some time I will write how it plays with the final amplifier and speakers. I wish everyone good health.
If you want to try something that is better than the Sony you should have tried a Shanling H7... (personal opinion)

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #403 of 761
Both USB inputs must be used with desktop mode enabled?
Dear friend,

Necessary conditions for turning on the station amplifier mode:
1. The orange Type C port is connected to the PC fast charging adapter through the double C cable (the long cable provided)
2. Turn the DESKTOP MODE switch near the orange interface to the ON state.

You would need to connect both USB if you are using USB mode. And in other input modes, the Desktop mode could be enbled as well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back