FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #736 of 745
Happy to be able to help... when you launch the tool could you tell me what firmware is installed before the update?
Yes, it was the 1.66 version, but have updated it now.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #737 of 745
How is the experience of using the Q15 on the latest firmware? I've seen some mixed messages on whether most of the issues are fixed now or not, and it's not confidence inspiring to see people having bricked units after updating to the latest firmware. I'm trying to decide between it and the Shanling H5 which has its own issues with Bluetooth connectivity but it seems more like a finished product than the Q15. I know it's missing some features such as PEQ and doesn't have a way to bypass the battery but I've also experience first hand how frustrating Fiio's app can be. Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #738 of 745
How is the experience of using the Q15 on the latest firmware? I've seen some mixed messages on whether most of the issues are fixed now or not, and it's not confidence inspiring to see people having bricked units after updating to the latest firmware. I'm trying to decide between it and the Shanling H5 which has its own issues with Bluetooth connectivity but it seems more like a finished product than the Q15. I know it's missing some features such as PEQ and doesn't have a way to bypass the battery but I've also experience first hand how frustrating Fiio's app can be. Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated!
From what I understand, the biggest problems that the Q15 has are precisely inherent to the use of the PEQ which is what is not present in the H5 and which I therefore assume interests you. I bought it precisely because I wasn't interested in this function (which for now still seems to present problems) and to compare it with the H7 that I own and am very happy with. If the Q15 offers a sound similar to the H7 I will be satisfied also because the lack that I consider most important in the H7 is precisely related to the lack of a Desktop Mode type solution proposed by FiiO, so when the H7 needs to be recharged I will have the FiiO ready to play. Having said that, I hope not to suffer bricks during the update, even if this thing (according to FiiO) should have been overcome with the new batches of the product. Fingers crossed.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #739 of 745
From what I understand, the biggest problems that the Q15 has are precisely inherent to the use of the PEQ which is what is not present in the H5 and which I therefore assume interests you. I bought it precisely because I wasn't interested in this function (which for now still seems to present problems) and to compare it with the H7 that I own and am very happy with. If the Q15 offers a sound similar to the H7 I will be satisfied also because the lack that I consider most important in the H7 is precisely related to the lack of a Desktop Mode type solution proposed by FiiO, so when the H7 needs to be recharged I will have the FiiO ready to play. Having said that, I hope not to suffer bricks during the update, even if this thing (according to FiiO) should have been overcome with the new batches of the product. Fingers crossed.
That's what I was seeing as well, as much as it's a headline feature of this DAC/amp if it doesn't work well I'd rather not have (and pay for) it at all. You would think Fiio could have a functional EQ by now but I had similar issues with my BTR5 so it's not great to see they're still struggling with the same problems several years later. I know it won't be as good as hardware-level PEQ but if I need to tame the vocals of an earbud I can always use Poweramp EQ with the H5. The same goes for the Q15 but it would feel worse knowing I could be doing it in hardware instead.

It's frustrating that Shanling didn't consider this a priority (and still doesn't based on their comments about the design of the H5). And while you can have one of their dealers replace the battery they've also admitted that they only keep so many on hand after a product is no longer being made. So either way your device has a limited shelf life which isn't great but at least I know that up front. It's also not comforting that Shanling doesn't recommend you use and charge the H5 at the same time which really makes me question the quality of the battery they used.

It seems like Fiio's great hardware is always let down by unfinished firmware and buggy apps, at this point I doubt they'll ever change so it's just something you have to accept if you buy their products. I probably would have bought the Q15 until I saw the reports of bricked units, that's a big red flag as I'm not confident that Fiio's support would replace any bricked units. Hopefully your experience with the Q15 goes well, any additional experiences regardless of outcome are appreciated.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #740 of 745
That's what I was seeing as well, as much as it's a headline feature of this DAC/amp if it doesn't work well I'd rather not have (and pay for) it at all. You would think Fiio could have a functional EQ by now but I had similar issues with my BTR5 so it's not great to see they're still struggling with the same problems several years later. I know it won't be as good as hardware-level PEQ but if I need to tame the vocals of an earbud I can always use Poweramp EQ with the H5. The same goes for the Q15 but it would feel worse knowing I could be doing it in hardware instead.

It's frustrating that Shanling didn't consider this a priority (and still doesn't based on their comments about the design of the H5). And while you can have one of their dealers replace the battery they've also admitted that they only keep so many on hand after a product is no longer being made. So either way your device has a limited shelf life which isn't great but at least I know that up front. It's also not comforting that Shanling doesn't recommend you use and charge the H5 at the same time which really makes me question the quality of the battery they used.

It seems like Fiio's great hardware is always let down by unfinished firmware and buggy apps, at this point I doubt they'll ever change so it's just something you have to accept if you buy their products. I probably would have bought the Q15 until I saw the reports of bricked units, that's a big red flag as I'm not confident that Fiio's support would replace any bricked units. Hopefully your experience with the Q15 goes well, any additional experiences regardless of outcome are appreciated.
I understand your point but I wonder, if you think PEQ is your priority why haven't you thought about purchasing a Chord Mojo2? From what I've read it has one of the best PEQ implementations around, although a little peculiar in its use. I repeat, I am not interested in any type of equalization, neither software nor hardware because I think that every DAC and every IEM must sound the way it was designed to do so and I just enjoy finding synergies between the sources and the IEMs. /headphones. Shanling probably thinks like me and wants to propose her "her" sound and doesn't want it to be modified and honestly I really like the way they implement their DACs. As far as batteries are concerned, there are serious companies like Shanling that tell you that it is possible to charge the battery while you listen but this will inevitably reduce the charging cycles and others that instead tell you to do as you want without worrying. It's not a question of battery quality but of serious companies that tell you what to do to make the best use of their products and others that instead play on words... no battery likes to be recharged on one side while being simultaneously discharged on the other . This applies to all batteries... even those fitted by manufacturers who tell you not to worry... certainly nothing happens to the battery if you do it once (playing on words) but if this practice is repeated cyclically it certainly doesn't it's good for you and this also happens in cell phones. In fact, FiiO has created the Desktop Mode function which avoids having to charge a battery indefinitely while the Q15 is connected to the computer... just remember that it would be better to use this function when the battery is between 20% and 80% and more precisely around 50%. Having said that, I chose the H7 mainly for the fact that it features two standard 18650 batteries that are easily available and replaceable, unlike those of the H5.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #742 of 745
Hello fellow Q15 users, does the PEQ work in USB as of the current firmware update? Also how does it compare to the Gryphon in terms of sound and overall quality?
The PEQ does work in USB mode, but you have to switch MQA off to enable it and, in my experience, you can't be connected to your source when you do. When mine was connected to my iPhone and I made the switch, it confused the iPhone and I had to remove and then connect it again. When I unplugged first and then plugged back in, it worked.

I can't say how it compares to the Gryphon, but I'm finding the sound quality to be excellent with my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire. There's a ton of power, so I can drive them in both the 3.5mm single-ended and the 4.4mm balanced. There's a lot of headroom in both, but obviously more in balanced. I like the sound so much that I haven't even messed with PEQ, but I'll probably mess around with it a bit to eek out that last bit of quality.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #743 of 745
Which low pass filter do you use the most and why? Thank you.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #744 of 745
every DAC and every IEM must sound the way it was designed to do so
A lot of folks definitely see it the way you do! I used to, as well, but after a while I realized (a) no product is perfect for any of us (and we all want something different) and (b) I paid for the gear and if I can easily adjust it in some way (like EQ) that maximizes my enjoyment, I certainly will.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #745 of 745
A lot of folks definitely see it the way you do! I used to, as well, but after a while I realized (a) no product is perfect for any of us (and we all want something different) and (b) I paid for the gear and if I can easily adjust it in some way (like EQ) that maximizes my enjoyment, I certainly will.
I agree with you but from what I understand FiiO has had a PEQ problem since the release of the BTR5 (two years ago now) which it has not yet resolved. In addition to this, you are right in saying that something you paid for must work, but then it is even more serious if its malfunction affects the entire device (automatic activation when switching from Bluetooth to USB and consequent loss of volume). I honestly wanted to buy the Q15 with the hope that it will have a sound close to the H7 (which costs more than twice as much) and I sincerely hope that these problems with the PEQ are solved, so everyone will be happy both the users, who use it (like you ) than those who don't use it (like me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back