FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Jan 8, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #2,221 of 2,501
Could be due to the holidays.

Having just downloaded the recent firmware, I'm honestly not sure why they reverted the search results feature back to the way it was. Now I have to remember the album names of the artists I want to listen to.

Yeah I stopped using the Fiio Music App and use Pulsar exclusively now. It is a much more polished app and I don't have to rescan tracks whenever I add new ones. Whenever I rescan tracks in Fiio app it crashes multiple times.

It remembers your location in the track list instead of having to constantly scroll through the list. It also actually lists tracks in proper alphabetical order, which Fiio can't seem to figure out. While I haven't used the search function yet I would imagine it works better than the Fiio Music App. I am charging my unit now but I will try the search in Pulsar and see how good it works. Pulsar is very light on resources and scrolling is fast and the app is very responsive.

UPDATE: tried the search function and it does given much better results than the Fiio Music App

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2,222 of 2,501
I recently purchased an M9, and so far, so good—except for a strange charging issue. It seems like the M9 is particular about what cable is used. Looking through the thread, I saw that some users including @cjfreitag have experienced this as well.

So far, I've only had consistent success charging with the included USB C to USB A cable. I purchased this certified USB C to USB C cable after my Apple cable didn't work—I got one charge out of it one night and the next it wouldn't recognize it.

Has anyone found a surefire solution to this?

Also, any recommendations on lightening the processing load? Applications like Fiio Music are understandably quick enough, but if I could free up some memory to make Spotify just a little snappier it would really elevate the usability for me.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,223 of 2,501
I recently purchased an M9, and so far, so good—except for a strange charging issue. It seems like the M9 is particular about what cable is used. Looking through the thread, I saw that some users including @cjfreitag have experienced this as well.

So far, I've only had consistent success charging with the included USB C to USB A cable. I purchased this certified USB C to USB C cable after my Apple cable didn't work—I got one charge out of it one night and the next it wouldn't recognize it.

Has anyone found a surefire solution to this?

Also, any recommendations on lightening the processing load? Applications like Fiio Music are understandably quick enough, but if I could free up some memory to make Spotify just a little snappier it would really elevate the usability for me.

Regarding making Spotify snappier. Uninstall all apps you are not going to use . Also I found some of the earlier versions of Spotify were a little faster. On APK Pure there is a 'versions' button which will bring up many of the older versions of Spotify. Some of those may be faster. There is a little app 'RAM' Cleanup on APK Pure that may help give you a little more RAM on the M9, but with something like 768 mg of RAM on the M9 there is not a lot to play with. I used a basic slow charger and I never had a problem charging.

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #2,224 of 2,501
Anyone has the m9 and m11? I am to decide between the two. Does the sound od the m11 justify the price? I dont care about the rest. Just the sq.

I have both. I have the M11 as my primary home audio player and - in theory - have the M9 for a 'walking about' dap (but that seems to have been temporarily superseded by the use of Sony WF1000XM3's and flac files on an SD on my Android phone - the sound quality of this setup is pretty 'meh' though and the Fiio BTR5 is beckoning to me from afar so things might change here). The SQ of the M9 is very good and if I hadn't heard the M11 I'd be, I'm sure, pretty happy with it. But I have heard it and the M11 blows it out of the water in terms of pure SQ. It's a beast. A fairly spendy beast, mind you. So I never listen to the M9 at home and fairly rarely listen to it outside either - though as I say, that's not because it's a poor player, it isn't, it's a very good one. Prior to the M11 I had an Ibasso DX90 and a Fiio X7ii when I saw a good used M11 on Ebay for 350GBP so sold the other two and bought that - and I'm very happy with it. I do still slightly miss some things about the X7ii though, which is still a stellar player - and is still a conceivable alternative to the M9 for you though they are typically around the 270GBP mark on Ebay used. The X7ii is perhaps a slightly more analytical player but amp swapping is a possibility with this whereas of course with the M11 it isn't. I wonder if it will be possible to get fully under the hood with the M9 in the way that's now the case for the newly-invigorated X5iii - i.e so that it could be rooted and open to custom kernels etc? That'd be pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,225 of 2,501
I am thinking in getting the m9, since I can buy it for 229€. I normally use ibasso it01with cayin n3, but found it a little bassy (just a little) and my plan is to get the it01s.

Would the m9 have a good synergy with the it01s?

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #2,226 of 2,501
I just got the M9 and Tidal downloads and plays back fine to the internal drive but I can't get it to work with my external card. It allows me to select it as a destination and the destination drive available space decreases with the downloads, but I can't playback the tracks. I get an error message like "... track is not available..."

Playback is fine if I use the internal drive as the download destination.

Ideas?

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #2,227 of 2,501
I just got the M9 and Tidal downloads and plays back fine to the internal drive but I can't get it to work with my external card. It allows me to select it as a destination and the destination drive available space decreases with the downloads, but I can't playback the tracks. I get an error message like "... track is not available..."

Playback is fine if I use the internal drive as the download destination.

Ideas?

I got this working after formatting my SD card. Just wish the WiFi was better on the M9 when I am out and about.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #2,228 of 2,501
I am thinking in buying the custom studio ones which are similar to the dt770 80ohms, would the Fiio m9 with 170mW(32Ω /THD+N<1%), be enough to power them?

I already have the dt880 600ohms with atom Amp, but they are for my office, so I want something that I can walk around the house

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #2,230 of 2,501
I am thinking in buying the custom studio ones which are similar to the dt770 80ohms, would the Fiio m9 with 170mW(32Ω /THD+N<1%), be enough to power them?

I already have the dt880 600ohms with atom Amp, but they are for my office, so I want something that I can walk around the house
I have Beyrs DT250 80ohm and listen it on 70/120 volume with high gain. Fiio M9 drives them very good.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,232 of 2,501
ES File Explorer on the M9
Since the the start with my FiiO M9 I'm using Total Commander for android along with the samba plugin that lets me connect the FiiO over WiFi to my NAS mirroring my sdcard. Imho the best free file manager app on android. Also included is a simple music player with EQ. You get it an apkpure. But I suspect that FiiO won't let other players play music in highres. Anyone here who knows something about it?

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2,234 of 2,501
Since the the start with my FiiO M9 I'm using Total Commander for android along with the samba plugin that lets me connect the FiiO over WiFi to my NAS mirroring my sdcard. Imho the best free file manager app on android. Also included is a simple music player with EQ. You get it an apkpure. But I suspect that FiiO won't let other players play music in highres. Anyone here who knows something about it?
Hey man, can u provide the link of the samba plugin APK?. im very interested of mirroring the sd card via wifi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back