FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Oct 1, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #2,117 of 2,501
I hate to say it but i bought and promptly returned my M9... the Wifi and CPU are just too under-powered.

Wanted to use it as my primary music device .... Deezer caching was taking an absolute age, took over 24 hours for Deezer to cache the songs i wanted before i gave up on it, copying to the device via USB was prohibitive for anything other than minor song maintenance.
I know it's only a fairly old dual-core Exynos so it's never going to be lightning but it was just too frustrating for me personally
Dunno if i can justify double the spend to get something with reasonable performance.

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2,119 of 2,501
Just load your music on the SD card with a card reader. Fast and easy.
Yeah - used an sd reader to put the bulk of the catalog on there - took ages to scan the library tho (5000 songs) and Deezer was just downloading so ridiculously slowly compared to even a 4 year old phone.
It would drive me up the wall continually using the device with the slow UI and response i just couldn't keep it
Sounded great the amount of time i did use it to actually listen to it - definitely noticed the step-up in SQ but i either need to accept the slightly worse SQ from a smartphone or pony up double the amount for a DAP with a newer / faster / more cores CPU

Oct 4, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #2,121 of 2,501
Question

Can I use the headphone balanced out output to feed a amplifier which has two XLR inputs?

Like the loxjie p20 amplifier.
I wish, but no.

Edit: well technically you can but then you’re double amping.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #2,127 of 2,501
I recently borrowed a friend's M9 and thought it sounded fantastic. I couldn't get on with the UI though or id snap one up.

Noob question

Would it be possible to get a similar sounding dac and use it with my phone? I'd be using it with tidal.

I've tried a fiio e17k but it didn't blow me away like the m9 did.

Oct 6, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,128 of 2,501
I recently borrowed a friend's M9 and thought it sounded fantastic. I couldn't get on with the UI though or id snap one up.

Noob question

Would it be possible to get a similar sounding dac and use it with my phone? I'd be using it with tidal.

I've tried a fiio e17k but it didn't blow me away like the m9 did.

If you are looking for a portable DAC which sounds great, you could try the Hidizs Sonata USB C DAC cable.
They are also rebranded to be found which are the Tempotec Sonata.

https://www.hidizs.net/products/dac-cable

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #2,129 of 2,501
Thanks for your reply. I've actually tried one from Amazon. It did increase the volume but I didn't notice much difference in sound quality.

What I liked about the M9 was the detail I could hear and the separate instruments in the music.

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #2,130 of 2,501
Thanks for your reply. I've actually tried one from Amazon. It did increase the volume but I didn't notice much difference in sound quality.

What I liked about the M9 was the detail I could hear and the separate instruments in the music.

You said you were looking for a DAC not amp... Ghehe.
I find it a great piece... Maybe because of bad DAC of my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back