Fiio M9 and the Kunlun E18: Mission Impossible?
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jayteeare

Head-Fier
Hello I hope some of the seasoned vets in here can help out with some expert advice. I have the fiio M9 which works fine most of the time.

I recently got a Fiio E18 Kunlun for $50 and thought it was worth it. Then when I got it turns out I have to turn my M9 upside down on back of the E18 as to let the cables connect with the least amount of wire.

Then I got experimental, and read about OTG. Since the E18 has a micro usb and the M9 uses the newer usb type c, I used the micro usb to type c cable which I remembered came with my Timmkoo DAP. Amazingly it played well, and I was even able to control the M9 directly from the Kunlun Play/Pause/Next/Previous buttons!

However as luck would have it, my Fiio started to get weird and wouldn’t boot down when connected to the E18, or if I did turn it on from the get go with everything connected I got a “safe mode” message on the M9.

After several reboots I got it work again by doing a strange Indian dance routine of turning the volume up to 120 on LO on the M9, which glitches it back to 0, and then I disconnect the 3.5mm earphone jack from the E18 and plug it back in, and fiddle with the M9 volume and it works until it doesn’t.

I bought a Fiio otg usb c to micro usb, but will this even fix the issue? Is there some kind of update that’s obscure which I haven’t found or a fix by adjusting the settings on the M9 on developer mode? Seems like I’ve tried everything to avoid the rain dance fix which only works 50% of the time.

With the Fiio M9 running Android, should OTG work seemlessly with the M9/E18 combo? This is so frustrating. I don’t even need all the bells and whistles and multitude of codex’s; if anyone knows, shouldn’t Fiio’s products be compatible with each other?

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 3
On the bottom of the E18 there is a switch button. For a computer or phone in i believe. Set this to phone in. Set it and then turn it on. Not sure if it takes effect if you switch modes while its working. So just be restarting it when you switch modes. That way with the phone in set, it doesnt drain battery from the device, this case the M9. It meybe goes in safe mode because the E18 tries to charge from it while they are working.

Should be no problem with the cable. I have E18, but not M9. And tablets and phones sometimes are disconnecting the E18 because it draws power from them if the bottom switch is not set to phone in.

If you already tried to set it to phone in and still the M9 is not functioning properly, then meybe ask Fiio in their M9 topic: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...wa-lhdc-usb-dac-usb-audio-out.886226/page-159

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply. I never moved it from the phone switch and have left it on there. Somehow unplugging the headphone jack and then plug in again works (sometimes). Yes thanks I will contact the Fiio folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back