[FiiO M5] Compact and Versatile Hi-Res Music Player
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #181 of 773
I think it would be a huge waste of money to buy this as a BT audio transmitter. While it can serve this function, it's main design and strength lies toward music playback hence the inclusion of those DACs. If aptxHD transmission is very important to you, you should get a CSR8675 BT device off amazon for about 25USD. Their poor SNR should not affect digital audio transmission.
To be clear: In need USB->BT with Aptx HD and LDAC. I don't need an analog sourced transmitter without LDAC. I already own a different labled Acekool Bluetooth V4.2 Transmitter Receiver.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #182 of 773
I don't think so either, but one can dream =]

By the way, did BTR3 ever get the promised equalizer?

Yes they just release the BTR3 EQ update this past week.

As far as M5 EQ, is it all just presets of is the also a Custom EQ available? I am seeing conflicting information on this. Is it a 10 band custom EQ like the M6 or strictly presets?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #183 of 773
Yes they just release the BTR3 EQ update this past week.

As far as M5 EQ, is it all just presets of is the also a Custom EQ available? I am seeing conflicting information on this. Is it a 10 band custom EQ like the M6 or strictly presets?
I'll let you know when my blue one arrives.. I'm pretty sure its just presets otherwise they will be sacrificing the sales of the M6 M7 M9 and M11
I'm also wanting to know if I can make playlists like the Fiio App. I would like to be able to move songs around in a playlist.. this is important to Zumba instructors as we have to mix high intensity songs with low intensity.. kinda like interval training.. At least the M5 as a bluetooth reciever.. will let me do this from my Samsung Galaxy and Huawei P30 Pro. (Where I can edit my playlists)
At least on the phone.. you can get your 10 Band Custom EQ

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #185 of 773
1. Can I connect this to a dac while using it as a bluetooth receiver? Streaming spotify from phone via bluetooth to fiio , fiio to my USB/ coaxial dac?

2. If not , can I control this player via fiio app, while having all my music in m5 connected to a usb / coaxial dac?

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #186 of 773
I'll let you know when my blue one arrives.. I'm pretty sure its just presets otherwise they will be sacrificing the sales of the M6 M7 M9 and M11
I'm also wanting to know if I can make playlists like the Fiio App. I would like to be able to move songs around in a playlist.. this is important to Zumba instructors as we have to mix high intensity songs with low intensity.. kinda like interval training.. At least the M5 as a bluetooth reciever.. will let me do this from my Samsung Galaxy and Huawei P30 Pro. (Where I can edit my playlists)
At least on the phone.. you can get your 10 Band Custom EQ
I don't think this is rival to the higher fiio players despite its features. 42mw is lower than other fiio players which can make it not an option for power hungry headphone users. But specs alone will not say everything.

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #187 of 773
Shanling m0 vs fiio m5 would be the interesting comparison. Both are similar in advantages and limitations(featurewise).

The biggest (personally important) functional difference that I was looking for is using this as a BT transport. The shandling can only receive in sbc or ldac while the fiio can receive in both of these formats plus aptx. Using an ios device to stream means no ldac, so the aptx is needed (and avoids the lower quality sbc).

Of course there are other differences (e.g. scroll wheel or not, audio recording or not, micro sd card size, battery life, different dac chip, etc.), but the above is what made me buy the M5 to replace the M0.

Using a chord hugo 2, this device is a must have, as I can feed my music in a lossless manner using oTG into the hugo 2 from m5. Likewise, if convenience dictates, I'm able to wirelessly stream in a relatively high quality manner quobuz or tidal from my iPad to the dac.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #188 of 773
The biggest (personally important) functional difference that I was looking for is using this as a BT transport. The shandling can only receive in sbc or ldac while the fiio can receive in both of these formats plus aptx. Using an ios device to stream means no ldac, so the aptx is needed (and avoids the lower quality sbc).

Of course there are other differences (e.g. scroll wheel or not, audio recording or not, micro sd card size, battery life, different dac chip, etc.), but the above is what made me buy the M5 to replace the M0.

Using a chord hugo 2, this device is a must have, as I can feed my music in a lossless manner using oTG into the hugo 2 from m5. Likewise, if convenience dictates, I'm able to wirelessly stream in a relatively high quality manner quobuz or tidal from my iPad to the dac.
This is one of my questions I just asked here. WIll it be possible to use the DAC out function while at BT reciever mode. Have u got ur device?

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #190 of 773
This is one of my questions I just asked here. WIll it be possible to use the DAC out function while at BT reciever mode. Have u got ur device?
Dear friend,

No. When the M5 works as BT receiver, you would need to use the headphone output port.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 18, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #191 of 773
I don't have it yet, eagerly awaiting. There shouldn't be an issue with this, but I'll definitely chime in when it gets here.
I don't have it yet, eagerly awaiting. There shouldn't be an issue with this, but I'll definitely chime in when it gets here.
seems like wireless transport doesn't work.
Dear friend,

No. When the M5 works as BT receiver, you would need to use the headphone output port.

Best regards
Thanks for the reply. Atleast can I control the player via my phone while using it as transport for my DAC?

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #192 of 773
I JUST received the M5 with complementary watch band from Aliexpress. The few dollars extra for the expedited shipping was VERY worth it, as the M5 arrived two days after order. As I likely will not ever use the M5 or shanling M0 for serious listening, I haven't taken the time to compare the sound quality between the two.

Through no fault of the device itself, this does NOT serve as a BT transport, while the M0 DOES. This is just about the most important feature to me, and I REALLY hope it is added in the future.

My primary desired usage of either of these is to serve as a DAP to a Chord Hugo 2 and serve as a method to stream audio from Tidal, Qobuz, or the like from my iphone/ipad.

Inital positive impressions - excluding discussing sound quality, the M5 appears more polished than the M0 in most respects
1. The included removable clip is very welcome (M0 requires seperate purchase of a clip)
2. UI is very responsive, even (much) better than the M0 with most recent firmware
3. Screen of M5 appears to be better quality. I didn't check the resolutions, but the M5 has much better blacks and seems sharper
4. Included (x2) screen protectors are a nice touch

Initial negative impressions:
2. PLEASE add BT transport functionality (in aptX as well as sbc or LDAC). The M0 has this in SBC or LDAC mode.

I'm not sure which device I will end up with, but I'm hoping it is the Fiio, as it looks and functions like a more polished device. If the item above are added, it would be a no brainer.

Note: I was mistaken regarding folder browsing on the M5. It DOES have this feature, as does the M0.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #193 of 773
I JUST received the M5 with complementary watch band from Aliexpress. The few dollars extra for the expedited shipping was VERY worth it, as the M5 arrived two days after order. As I likely will not ever use the M5 or shanling M0 for serious listening, I haven't taken the time to compare the sound quality between the two.

Through no fault of the device itself, this does NOT serve as a BT transport, while the M0 DOES. This is just about the most important feature to me, and I REALLY hope it is added in the future.

My primary desired usage of either of these is to serve as a DAP to a Chord Hugo 2 and serve as a method to stream audio from Tidal, Qobuz, or the like from my iphone/ipad.

Inital positive impressions - excluding discussing sound quality, the M5 appears more polished than the M0 in most respects
1. The included removable clip is very welcome (M0 requires seperate purchase of a clip)
2. UI is very responsive, even (much) better than the M0 with most recent firmware
3. Screen of M5 appears to be better quality. I didn't check the resolutions, but the M5 has much better blacks and seems sharper
4. Included (x2) screen protectors are a nice touch

Initial negative impressions:
1. I did not see an option for folder browsing- can this be added in the future?
2. PLEASE add BT transport functionality (in aptX as well as sbc or LDAC). The M0 has this in SBC or LDAC mode.

I'm not sure which device I will end up with, but I'm hoping it is the Fiio, as it looks and functions like a more polished device. If the 2 items above are added, it would be a no brainer.
How does it sound on headphone out compared to shanling m0? Can you check this part out?

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #194 of 773
How does it sound on headphone out compared to shanling m0? Can you check this part out?
Note: I was mistaken regarding folder browsing on the M5. It DOES have this feature, as does the M0.

With that out of the way, I briefly listened to both via headphone out to my QDC VX IEMs. Both sound surprisingly decent perhaps a slight nod to the M5. From the limited test, I would say the M5 has slightly better imaging/soundstage and tonality.

For almost any metric, the M5 is tied with the M0 or ahead of the M0. If BT transport isn't an issue, the M5 is the clear way to go, at least for me. Now if we can get BT transport added in a firmware update, I'd say the M5 is the no brainer.

Jul 19, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #195 of 773

With that out of the way, I briefly listened to both via headphone out to my QDC VX IEMs. Both sound surprisingly decent perhaps a slight nod to the M5. From the limited test, I would say the M5 has slightly better imaging/soundstage and tonality.

For almost any metric, the M5 is tied with the M0 or ahead of the M0. If BT transport isn't an issue, the M5 is the clear way to go, at least for me. Now if we can get BT transport added in a firmware update, I'd say the M5 is the no brainer.
Thanks a lot for the review! When you say no BT transport.. you mean BT receiver or transmitter? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back