[FiiO M5] Compact and Versatile Hi-Res Music Player
Jul 8, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #151 of 773
As far as I know, Bluetooth version can be updated with software update. So, maybe @FiiO can update CSR8675 to Bluetooth 5.0?
5.0 is in my opinion much better than 4.2 (battery life and range). I tested both.
BT 5.0 offers NO advantages to Audio stack over 4.2 as Audio does NOT use “Low Energy” BT modes.

Consider alternative explanations such as newer/different BT chipset (eg. specific implementation vs specification), non-Audio usages, or other device factors..

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #152 of 773
BT 5.0 offers NO advantages to Audio stack over 4.2 as Audio does NOT use “Low Energy” BT modes.

Consider alternative explanations such as newer/different BT chipset (eg. specific implementation vs specification), non-Audio usages, or other device factors..

Sorry but you're wrong. It (BT 5.0) significantly improves signal coverage and connection stability what also influence an audio connection performance (better coverage and better immune to cutting and breaking audio or degradation of bitrate by codecs due too poor radio signal). So simply BT 5.0 means better audio mainly because of possibility of getting better bitrates by all codecs

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #153 of 773
Sorry but you're wrong. It (BT 5.0) significantly improves signal coverage and connection stability what also influence an audio connection performance (better coverage and better immune to cutting and breaking audio or degradation of bitrate by codecs due too poor radio signal). So simply BT 5.0 means better audio mainly because of possibility of getting better bitrates by all codecs
BT 5.0 doesn't make any difference to HD codecs like LDAC. There will be no difference in connection coverage or stability.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #154 of 773
Audio does not use LE. So I fail to see how improvements to LE affect audio or audio bit rates. The BT 5.0 Protocol does not affect non-LE as far as I can determine.

Some Implementations of BT 5.0 might be better than some for BT 4.2 (or vice versa) - this is separate from the defined protocol as it is an implementation, not a specification.

Happy to have links to resources to the contrary.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #155 of 773
But there is something to be said about VooDoo economics. How often is it where an engineer improves code or optimizes implementation on a new platform with more resources and capabilities.
Isn't it likely that when a new version is released (5.0), the corresponding platform is like-wised updated. But who's going to send that tech info to marketing to get the word out, knowing how often this occurs.
Hence, VooDoo wishful thinking.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #156 of 773
Well even if 4.2 is as good as 5.0 for the purpose of streaming music, it's kind of odd to limit a device released in 2019 to 4.2 when the entire market is quickly moving on to 5.0. Even Fiio have implemented 5.0 in a couple of their products now I see, both the BTR1K and the BTA10 use 5.0 and their marketing for the BTA10 includes this sentence "Say goodbye to choppy sound with Bluetooth 5.0" so the only reason I can think of is that LHDC (HWA) from Huawei doesn't yet support 5.0 as stated by Fiio in their FAQ about the BTR3:

"BTR3 uses the bluetooth 4.2. Actually the Bluetooth 5.0 may not help with the sound quality too much compared with the bluetooth 4.2. Moreover, some bluetooth codecs like LDHC still hasn't adapted to the bluetooth 5.0, we decided to use the mature bluetooth 4.2 version for BTR3."

This however still raises questions since all phones from Huawei that support LDHC use 5.0, which should suggest some sort of backward compatibility on 5.0 devices but hey, maybe I'm taking this too far :k701smile:

Still, I'm not the first one to pose this question if it's even addressed in the FAQ on Fiio's official website, which means there are several potential customers getting sidetracked from buying these products and considering other options on the market... I'm even holding out on buying the BTR3 since the BTR5 should be around the corner with upgraded DAC and Bluetooth?

I think all things considered though I'll end up with a Fiio product but there is still doubt in my mind about connection stability on 4.2, and any claim saying that 4.2 is more mature than 5.0 just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #160 of 773
Does FiiO M5 support USB Digital out? (sending music in digital format to another device via its usb type-c port)

I am planning to get it paired with Ibasso DC01 to exploit the benefit of 2.5 balanced output.

Jul 12, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #162 of 773
Has FiiO actually announced a BTR5 or is it just a rumor?

There's no official announcement yet but Gearbest wrote the following in their review of the M5:

"By the way, the orthodox upgrade of the BTR series, BTR5, will be available soon, and it will attract a lot of consumers.

One might ask, since the FiiO BTR series is perfect and good enough, what does the FiiO M5 portable player exist for? In response, FiiO officials also made a special map to explain the relationship between M5 and BTR series. With the X axis as the function and the Y axis as the sound quality, then the M5 is ahead of the BTR series in functionality and slightly weaker in sound quality than the flagship Bluetooth decoding ear amplifier BTR5."

You can find the review here, has some nice pics of the M5 :L3000: https://m.gearbest.com/blog/new-gea...smart-watch-no-its-a-hi-res-music-player-6500

I'm slowly coming to realise that I will need both an M5 with TWEs for the gym and a BTR 3/5 for some speakers at home...

The M5 just seems like the perfect portable DAP with added BTR functionality.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #163 of 773
Does FiiO M5 support USB Digital out? (sending music in digital format to another device via its usb type-c port)

I am planning to get it paired with Ibasso DC01 to exploit the benefit of 2.5 balanced output.
Dear friend,

The M5 supports PO/LO/SPDIF/USB Audio/Bluetooth output when playing on M5.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back