Fiio M15 or M15s
Nov 20, 2023 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to pick up another DAP. I currently own the Shanling M8, as well as the M6 Pro original AKM version (my gym dap).
I really enjoy and appreciate Shanlings house sound with AKM on board, but I'd like something that offers something different. I'm concerned that the original M15 is going to sound more similar to the M8 than different. What I want to avoid is anything overly reference, analytical, thin, brittle, or strident with an extreme focus on the upper mids and lower treble. I was also considering the original Ibasso DX300, but I'm worried I'll run into some of these things I don't want.
I like note weight with a little something extra down low (not overly so), excellent mids with no recession (slightly forward is okay), non exaggerated upper mids, but not too smooth, and some extension and sense of air up top.
I primarily listen to rock and metal. My best headphones are the original, non modified Kennerton Gjallarhorn (closed), and the Focal Clear MG (closed). That kinda provides an idea as to my preferred tuning - slightly dark, solid mids, and a touch of warmth. I'd like dap that has a touch or two more presence in the presence region, but again, not bright or harsh in any way. Which of these Fiio daps sounds most like what I'm after? I'm not concerned with android versions, bluetooth, or streaming. I'm all about the sound, and will be using the device from an SD card.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm looking to pick up another DAP. I currently own the Shanling M8, as well as the M6 Pro original AKM version (my gym dap).
I really enjoy and appreciate Shanlings house sound with AKM on board, but I'd like something that offers something different. I'm concerned that the original M15 is going to sound more similar to the M8 than different. What I want to avoid is anything overly reference, analytical, thin, brittle, or strident with an extreme focus on the upper mids and lower treble. I was also considering the original Ibasso DX300, but I'm worried I'll run into some of these things I don't want.
I like note weight with a little something extra down low (not overly so), excellent mids with no recession (slightly forward is okay), non exaggerated upper mids, but not too smooth, and some extension and sense of air up top.
I primarily listen to rock and metal. My best headphones are the original, non modified Kennerton Gjallarhorn (closed), and the Focal Clear MG (closed). That kinda provides an idea as to my preferred tuning - slightly dark, solid mids, and a touch of warmth. I'd like dap that has a touch or two more presence in the presence region, but again, not bright or harsh in any way. Which of these Fiio daps sounds most like what I'm after? I'm not concerned with android versions, bluetooth, or streaming. I'm all about the sound, and will be using the device from an SD card.

I compared the two recently and M15 has a fuller bodied sound than the M15s. Treble is harsher on the M15s.

I listen to a lot of mid-2000s indie rock (The Strokes, Bloc Party, Modest Mouse) & the M15s was too harsh for me up top. My most used IEM is the VE8 which is a warm-neutral sound-sig that's smooth in the treble.

If the older Android version & no more software updates part doesn't bother you at all which you mentioned, SQ-wise M15 would be better for you. I owned the M15 for a brief period but returned it for an N7 cause the old Android version kind of bothered me and some pixels in the screen died. Other than that it is a fantastic dap, especially for the price you can get it now in the 2nd hand market.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 7
I compared the two recently and M15 has a fuller bodied sound than the M15s. Treble is harsher on the M15s.

I listen to a lot of mid-2000s indie rock (The Strokes, Bloc Party, Modest Mouse) & the M15s was too harsh for me up top. My most used IEM is the VE8 which is a warm-neutral sound-sig that's smooth in the treble.

If the older Android version & no more software updates part doesn't bother you at all which you mentioned, SQ-wise M15 would be better for you. I owned the M15 for a brief period but returned it for an N7 cause the old Android version kind of bothered me and some pixels in the screen died. Other than that it is a fantastic dap, especially for the price you can get it now in the 2nd hand market.
Thanks for the response. Crazy hobby this is. I've read reviews and comments stating the opposite, so not sure what to think. I'd imagine you're right based on the dacs being used, but harsh treble degree is different for everyones ears.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 7

How is N7 compared to M15? Is it an upgrade?

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Did you mod your Clear MG because I think these headphones are open backs?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back