FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #2,778 of 4,083
Just wondering if FiiO too might have that itch to launch only-the-best-internals kind of fat flagship Pro or Max version of M15 like Sony did with WM1Z and iBasso with DX220MAX...
Of course they will. Maby we hear about it in dec. and stop saying there won’t be a m15 pro.... that’s just naming!! Will either be pro or 16. Same damn thing!

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #2,780 of 4,083
Can any M15 owners with beta firmware, Tidal HiFi and UAPP test if they are experiencing this issue switching between 16/44 and MQA I posted here on the UAPP thread? Thanks!
Hello @Davy Wentzler , I'm experiencing an issue with Tidal on the latest version of UAPP with my FiiO M15 with the Beta firmware as well as HiBy R5 with latest firmware. It appears there are issues switching between Red Book tracks and MQA tracks. Things I noticed:

When an MQA track plays and completes, if the next song is Red Book, when it loads it stutters for between 6-8 seconds on M15 and then plays okay (no stutter on R5), but the sample rate does not change from the last MQA song. Examples:

This song is 16/44, but the prior song was MQA. The sample rate in the notification bar still shows the same as the MQA song. It stutters like mad for the first 6-8 seconds on the M15 then plays. If I pause then play, or skip anywhere in the track, basically anything that makes it buffer, then it reverts to 44.1

The issue also goes the other direction. If a song is Red Book, then the next track is MQA, it stays at 44.1:

It plays fine and there’s no stuttering on M15 like MQA to Red Book (and no stuttering on R5 either). Same deal if you pause/play or skip, anything to make it buffer, then it picks up the MQA stream and the sample rate updates.

These are just to show that I have both players set up the properly play MQA:

Did not experience this prior to 5.6.1. I also just tested on a Pixel 3 with Zorloo Stella and there appears to be no issue in this configuration. Thank you for any guidance.
@FiiO - I haven't tested this yet - hopefully I'll have time this weekend - but this seems like it would be good feedback for the engineers from @ CANiSLAYu

Also, @FiiO are there any newer firmware releases than 20200623 that we can install for testing? :)

Update: It may be a while before I get a chance... bbl...

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #2,781 of 4,083
Cross posting in relevant threads. SO I just got the Hugo 2 and 2GO. This is a brief review of the H2G) and comparison with FIIO M15 and Mojopoly with LCD4Z... this review is about sound quality only... iI am still getting connectivity issues with Roon on the 2GO in different rooms.

OK

I have never heard a hugo2 before so my 1st experience is with the 2go attached.

I have LCD4Z.

I had been using FIIOM15 for last few weeks balanced. My Mojopoly collecting dust. I thought I'd write something immediately based on 1st impression... may make a youtube vid.
1st. My experience has now confirmed that there are MANY on headfi that are entirely full of SH!T... ALSO synergy is important. I know that AUdeze tuned the 4Z with a hugo 2 so maybe this pairing has some magic.

SO

1st... Hugo 2 is smaller than i expected in person... it looks bigger in pictures... while bigger than a typical DAP its size is manageable.

2nd... FIIO M15 is a wonderful step up from Mojopoly balanced... it drives the LCD 4z quite nicely... Id say a 10% bump over poly.. air.. dynamics etc.

I also read some dude saying the Hugo 2go was like a little slice of Dave... and I was thinking "BS!"

well here it is..

The H2GO destroys the FIIO M15 with the LCD 4Z... dynamics... air everything... maybe this pairing is something special and would not work with every HP. But it is shocking how much better... we are talking at least a 40% bump over Mojo Poly and 30% over Fiio M15... not having heard the SP2000 or IBasso DX220 MAX... I really can't see either of these being close.... this thing is a freaking knockout... and i have been a critic of Chord.... now if they get their game together on the connectivity and SW issues they are the kings. YES this is like a slice of TT2/Mscaler (i have one) in your hand.

Attachments

• IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #2,783 of 4,083
I have an M11 Pro and wanted to ask M15 owners a question: if you connect the M15 to an iPad Pro’s USB-C connection (2018 and later iPad Pro’s) is there a setting to turn off battery charging of the M15 and just work in data-only mode, acting as an external DAC/amp, running off it’s internal battery?

The M11 Pro is always in charge mode when connected this way and drains the iPad Pro’s battery while keeping the M11 Pro’s charge at 100%.

Thanks for the answers in advance. I‘ll get an M15 if I can turn off charging when connected as a DAC.
Cheers,
Gus

Jul 11, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,788 of 4,083
I have an M11 Pro and wanted to ask M15 owners a question: if you connect the M15 to an iPad Pro’s USB-C connection (2018 and later iPad Pro’s) is there a setting to turn off battery charging of the M15 and just work in data-only mode, acting as an external DAC/amp, running off it’s internal battery?

The M11 Pro is always in charge mode when connected this way and drains the iPad Pro’s battery while keeping the M11 Pro’s charge at 100%.

Thanks for the answers in advance. I‘ll get an M15 if I can turn off charging when connected as a DAC.
Cheers,
Gus

I don't use my M15 as a DAC, so I can't speak directly to being able to turn off charging in that mode. But there is a "Disable battery charging" setting under the "General" settings for the M15. I use this for allowing me to keep the M15 screen on while connected to a charger without constantly charging the battery to 100%. I also leave the M15 on the charger and in this mode when not in use, so the battery isn't drained but also not charged. I only enable charging when the battery level drops below about 40% and then disable it again when it's at about 80%. I'm hoping this will extend the battery life.

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,789 of 4,083
All I can say is that from memory this M15 is many steps ahead the x7mk2, finally Fiio made a lotoo paw gold level Dap, this said, the question is, what about sp2000? No folks, I would like to say that is at same level because would save money to many people, but no, in comparison with sp2000cu the sound still thinner and with less meat, but is without doubt a very good sounding and powerful player IMG_20200711_210553.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back