FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jun 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #2,506 of 4,083
Only just discovered the Fiio M15 ( & this thread ! ) Seriously considering buying this. I presently have a Fiio X5 iii Sony ZX2 & Sony ZX300 My headphone gear is Sony MDR-Z1R's, Sony 1AM2's & OPPO PM3's. I wasn't actually considering buying another DAP, but what i've briefly read, this sounds as good as a top DAC ?? ( Haven't had chance to read much of the thread yet. )

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #2,508 of 4,083
Can anyone compare the M15 to the Shanling M6 Pro?

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #2,510 of 4,083
While he's pretty polarizing, Zeos (Z reviews on YouTube) has a M6 Pro review where he compares it a bit to the M15. I didn't watch it too intently, but if I recall correctly, his thoughts were he liked the form factor and UX of the M6 Pro a little better (newer version of Android) and it has excellent battery life, but it's because it's under-powered relative to the competition in terms of output power. He likes the M15 for full-size cans a lot because of the power.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,511 of 4,083
Why do you still have fiio x5iii? It's crap. Zx300 is something else.

Why wouldn't i ?? I don't sell anything i've purchased. Actually i hadn't used it for awhile & been enjoying it lately with my Sony MDR-Z1R's. I definitely wouldn't describe it as crap. It's because of the recent enjoyment of it, that's got me interested in buying another Fiio, hence the interest in the "flagship".

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,512 of 4,083
Any reason to have a stationary DAC over using my M15's USB Mode?
Any recommendations if there are benefits?

Edit: Looking to fix my desktop setup as I am now WFH and doesn't seem like I am entering the office anytime soon.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #2,514 of 4,083
Anyone get this to work on the latest beta firmware? If so, how do you enable and what kind of QC charger was used?

5.Added quick-charge indication with a motion effect

EDIT: Got it to work. It did not work with a couple of QC 3.0 60W chargers I have, but it did with a QC 2.0 5V/2A-9V/2A charger and it worked.

Which brand / model? Link to order? :)

I'm getting the usually corona action, but when I deplete the battery I don't see that special display using the Samsung S10 25w fast charger. The M15 does charge much faster than a standard 5v charger, but the M15 isn't recognizing it... @FiiO can the engineers add detection of the Samsung 25w fast charger? The same model came with my S20 Ultra, so there's lots of them out there.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #2,515 of 4,083
If you're passionate enough there will always be choices for the right price. Well, usually for higher prices, not always right. There are dacs, amps, headphones costing many thousands of euro/dollars better than M15 but you have to be willing to spend that amount.
And, although I am sure I could hear the difference, IDK if I would find my toes curling enough to up the ante past the $1500-$2000 mark - what I've got sounds "good enough", besides I'm spending "more than enough" on headphones / IEM's to compensate. :wink:
Only just discovered the Fiio M15 ( & this thread ! ) Seriously considering buying this. I presently have a Fiio X5 iii Sony ZX2 & Sony ZX300 My headphone gear is Sony MDR-Z1R's, Sony 1AM2's & OPPO PM3's. I wasn't actually considering buying another DAP, but what i've briefly read, this sounds as good as a top DAC ?? ( Haven't had chance to read much of the thread yet. )
The M15 is great, and at $1299 it's a "bargain". :wink:

My M15 sounded great out of the box, and amazingly my M15 over the next few weeks became "mesmerizingly" fantastic - at least for me, when the MQA update came through from FiiO for the M15 - update 0604.

Streaming Tidal MQA Masters through UAPP (small cost app on Play store, $7.99 for app + $3.99 for MQA bit perfect enable) really is so great - I start exploring the Masters on Tidal and look up many hours later.

Listening through SendyAudio Aiva, Sennheiser 598cs, and now TinHifi P1 (after IEM break-in of about 2 days), and a few others, I'm really happy with the M15 - and the TinHifi P1's!

I even put off setting up my new Topping A90 / D90 after they arrived - I'm about to set them up right now.

I'm so glad I decided on the M15 over the M11 Pro - with the "Over the Ears" Headphone setting - extra power / current, that extra power really wakes up my Sendy Aiva and TinHifi P1.

I hope you enjoy your M15 as much as I am enjoying mine :)
Any reason to have a stationary DAC over using my M15's USB Mode?
Any recommendations if there are benefits?

Edit: Looking to fix my desktop setup as I am now WFH and doesn't seem like I am entering the office anytime soon.
Well, IDK - yet - I'm about to start listening to my Topping A90 / D90 MQA, I'll update later as to how they compare to the M15. :)

Many months ago I planned to get the M15 + A90 / D90 as a nice moderately priced pairing - not too crazy priced, but a solid investment in long term audio "nirvana".

It seemed for a while I could get along with just the M15 or just the A90 / D90 due to the current situation, but I'm back to thinking both are good coverage together.

While I was waiting for the M15 to get back into production I explored the BTR5 / BTR3k and found them excellent mobile partners - and I put them to use as my USB DAC devices for home use too.

With the extra power of the BTR5 balanced mode I could drive the Sendy Aiva's nicely - until I ran them on the M15, now I know the BTR5 was only doing it's best - not the Sendy Aiva's best.

For my easier to drive IEM's and headphones the BTR3k sounds great on 3.5mm SE and balanced 2.5mm. I'd prefer the BTR3k for use when I couldn't look at the BTR5 screen to change modes of operation. The BTR3k is good for activities where I'd need to focus my attention on the activity rather than looking away to control the BTR - the same goes for the M15. Screens require attention.

After going through all these devices - along with TWS's and BT headphones, I've found there is a wide range of options out there, and there is no need to get fixated on one solution, or even two, as there are situations that need each of them, all of them have a niche of use.

Today I went out without the M15 and used the BTR5 + Blon BL-05's + Tidal Masters + Netflix, the only negative was I sucked my S20 Ultra dry of power - down to 45% from 100%. :)
While he's pretty polarizing, Zeos (Z reviews on YouTube) has a M6 Pro review where he compares it a bit to the M15. I didn't watch it too intently, but if I recall correctly, his thoughts were he liked the form factor and UX of the M6 Pro a little better (newer version of Android) and it has excellent battery life, but it's because it's under-powered relative to the competition in terms of output power. He likes the M15 for full-size cans a lot because of the power.
I love watching Zeos - Youtube Z Reviews and ZeosPantera unboxings, his kitty cat Chewbacca, and "Princess Pasta", his loose setup, presentation, and no holds barred delivery to me is entertaining.

The Shanling M6 Pro "review" is a good example of Zeos's loose working framwork - he discovered how to increase the gain of the M6 Pro and completely turned around his review right in the middle - changing his assessment of the M6 Pro from "underpowered" to "wow!".

That's first class Zeos character discovery and development right there. :)
@Dsnuts has both and has given inciteful comments on the comparisons between the M15 and Shanling M6 Pro.

And, I've heard others compare the Shanling M6 Pro to the M11 and M11 Pro.

I don't think a downgrade to the Shanling M6 Pro would be disappointing, and the trade off's for a little more recent Android 8.1 (=> 9.0) would be worth it for some.

For myself, I haven't heard the M6 Pro, but I'd be surprised if it took me away from the M15 :)

Update: After 3 hours of watching Dr Who on BritBox the M15 screen side temperature was measured at 106F, and the back was measured at 102F. Yes the M15 gets "warm". I had the "Over the Ear's" headphone mode enabled, driving TinHifi P1's through the 4.4mm balanced port. The M15 is plugged in to the DK1 dock during long listening sessions.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,516 of 4,083
And, although I am sure I could hear the difference, IDK if I would find my toes curling enough to up the ante past the $1500-$2000 mark - what I've got sounds "good enough", besides I'm spending "more than enough" on headphones / IEM's to compensate. :wink:

The M15 is great, and at $1299 it's a "bargain". :wink:

My M15 sound great out of the box, and amazingly my M15 over the next couple of weeks became "mesmerizingly" fantastic - at least for me, when the MQA update came through from FiiO for the M15 - update 0604.

Streaming Tidal MQA Masters through UAPP (small cost app on Play store, $7.99 for app + $3.99 for MQA bit perfect enable) really is so great - I start exploring the Masters on Tidal and look up many hours later.

Listening through SendyAudio Aiva, Sennheiser 598cs, and now TinHifi P1 (after IEM break-in of about 2 days), and a few others, I'm really happy with the M15 - and the TinHifi P1's!

I even put off setting up my new Topping A90 / D90 after they arrived - I'm about to set them them up right now.

I'm so glad I decided on the M15 over the M11 Pro - with the "Over the Ears" Headphone setting - extra power / current, that extra power really wakes up my Sendy Aiva and TinHifi P1.

I hope you enjoy your M15 as much as I am enjoying mine :)

Thanks for your impressions....i haven't ordered YET ! :wink:

For sometime now, i've been seriously thinking of buying the Sony DMP-Z1. ( Yes, i know it's not a Walkman, as such....well you couldn't put it in your pocket ! :ksc75smile: ) and when i came across the info on the M15 yesterday, i thought, "Why not buy a new DAP" ??
I'm interested to read that it is described as having a "quiet listening background as black as the universe" - probably a degree of marketing spiel ! ??....but i've read descriptions of the nearly £7.000 Sony DMP-Z1 having a black background, which has intrigued me further.
Also, what is this "All to DSD" feature ?? All my files are DSD already, so assuming it would serve no real purpose ??
I have never updated the firmware on my Fiio X5iii because i honestly don't know how to do it ! ?? Is it still the same on the newer Fiio android models ? I believe you have to download onto SD card first ?? Not compiuter technically minded !
I've never listened to a MQA disc / file and i've never used Tidal as such, well not a subscription. I basically rip my CD's and then upsample them using JRiver. ( I have a Sony TAZH1ES headphone amp / dac. )

The M15 may be a much cheaper option, rather than spending £7.000 on the DMP-Z1, although i guess you really can't compare the devices ?? Decision time ! ??

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #2,517 of 4,083
Well, IDK - yet - I'm about to start listening to my Topping A90 / D90 MQA, I'll update later as to how they compare to the M15. :)

Many months ago I planned to get the M15 + A90 / D90 as a nice moderately priced pairing - not too crazy priced, but a solid investment in long term audio "nirvana".

It seemed for a while I could get along with just the M15 or just the A90 / D90 due to the current situation, but I'm back to thinking both are good coverage together.

While I was waiting for the M15 to get back into production I explored the BTR5 / BTR3k and found them excellent mobile partners - and I put them to use as my USB DAC devices for home use too.

With the extra power of the BTR5 balanced mode I could drive the Sendy Aiva's nicely - until I ran them on the M15, now I know the BTR5 was only doing it's best - not the Sendy Aiva's best.

For my easier to drive IEM's and headphones the BTR3k sounds great on 3.5mm SE and balanced 2.5mm. I'd prefer the BTR3k for use when I couldn't look at the BTR5 screen to change modes of operation. The BTR3k is good for activities where I'd need to focus my attention on the activity rather than looking away to control the BTR - the same goes for the M15. Screens require attention.

After going through all these devices - along with TWS's and BT headphones, I've found there is a wide range of options out there, and there is no need to get fixated on one solution, or even two, as there are situations that need each of them, all of them have a niche of use.

Today I went out without the M15 and used the BTR5 + Blon BL-05's + Tidal Masters + Netflix, the only negative was I sucked my S20 Ultra dry of power - down to 45% from 100%. :)

Always appreciate you responding and providing your insight!
This is very helpful, please let us know on the forum when you come to your conclusion.:beyersmile:

I am also trying to attempt what you're trying to do as well, just a complete solution on everything but still using the things I already have if possible.
The sound level and quality seems so bad to me, granted I am using just a IE80s BT straight to my M15, I have to pump the volume to like 100 to have it even at suitable level strictly on bluetooth.

I think the encoding is APT-X? I was thinking of getting the BTR5 but I am still left with a wire at the end of the day and I really only use BT when I cook or do chores around the house.
Is LDAC increased in sound volume? I heard the quality is better but is the volume still watered down like I plugged my 300ohm headphones to a 2000's smartphone. :slight_frown:

I was debating on SMSL SU-8 or SMSL M300 MK 2 since that has full bluetooth. I can see the stationary DAC's being useful when I want to add speakers. SU-8 can be used for a pair of bookshelves via XLR + add a sub with RCA for my computer setup :L3000: but if my M15 does it better or pretty much the same thing, why bother?

I love watching Zeos

Zeos is probably my dirty pleasure. I play him in the background while I do things and his comedy is just gold, it's like talking/hearing your friend talk about the same thought process you have... if I had audiophile friends IRL. :rolling_eyes:

I've been trying to look into the HD800s as they're currently on sale at the moment and I am already getting fatigue on my ears... cause people keep complaining about the price. It's like the intro to Zeos' Auduze LCD-X, so relatable.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,518 of 4,083

For sometime now, i've been seriously thinking of buying the Sony DMP-Z1. ( Yes, i know it's not a Walkman, as such....well you couldn't put it in your pocket ! :ksc75smile: ) and when i came across the info on the M15 yesterday, i thought, "Why not buy a new DAP" ??
I'm interested to read that it is described as having a "quiet listening background as black as the universe" - probably a degree of marketing spiel ! ??....but i've read descriptions of the nearly £7.000 Sony DMP-Z1 having a black background, which has intrigued me further.
Also, what is this "All to DSD" feature ?? All my files are DSD already, so assuming it would serve no real purpose ??
I have never updated the firmware on my Fiio X5iii because i honestly don't know how to do it ! ?? Is it still the same on the newer Fiio android models ? I believe you have to download onto SD card first ?? Not compiuter technically minded !
I've never listened to a MQA disc / file and i've never used Tidal as such, well not a subscription. I basically rip my CD's and then upsample them using JRiver. ( I have a Sony TAZH1ES headphone amp / dac. )

The M15 may be a much cheaper option, rather than spending £7.000 on the DMP-Z1, although i guess you really can't compare the devices ?? Decision time ! ??

If you are after portability, with great user friendly design, speed, sound quality, WLAN speed, its location of output ports and volume pot, ever improving platform software, lots of power for driving most of the hard to drive HPs, I think M15 is a great package. There are some other DAPs that might excel in some specific area, but I find the M15 a perfect all in one package. It also has a line out (unbalanced) that you can connect to the line in of your TAZH1ES. But as you already have an external amp and don't really need a too powerful device (like, you are using only IEMs or easy to drive headphones), you can also take a look at FiiO 'M11 Pro'.

It plays DSD upto DSD256 as files stored on storage, or upto DSD512 as a USB DAC. If your files are all DSDs, you don't need to use the 'All to DSD'.

Firmware updates normally are done automatically and FiiO continuously improves its software, so I would recommend to do it when there is one available. It is done automatically when the device it connected to WLAN and you check for the update using the FiiO application. So it should not be an issue.

I don't use MQA or Tidal, so I cannot comment on them, but I use Qobuz which is a quite good streaming service and if you buy albums they are all FLAC, which can be easily played everywhere, unlike MQA.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #2,519 of 4,083
Guys, can someone compare the sound of M15 and Cayin n6ii. I have no doubts about the capacity of M15 but with Fiio I don't have a great sound experience. I am not sure about M15 too, though it boasts a lot. Cayin n6ii is a dap which has a great sound as well as a good Android integration. How does it compare to M15 in terms of sound?

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,520 of 4,083

To answer in depth I'd need more time, so I'll quickly summarize so as to give you something in response - then I'll get back to listening to my Topping A90 / D90 MQA... just kidding I'm listening to James Taylor 192khz MQA streamed via Windows 10 Tidal app via USB DAC through the D90 as I am writing this for you. :)

The update is easy on the M15, there's a Support App that does Wifi / Over the Air (OTA) updates, or you can download the Beta's (Alpha's?) to the M15 microSDXC card - or directly onto the M15 storage - I used Chrome and just clicked on the .zip file @FiiO dropped here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-beta-firmware-for-m11-m11pro-m15-2020-06-04.934060/post-15657777

My Sennheiser HD598's are making confusingly beautiful sounds right now - I hear sustained Bass, clear Mid's - wide - but not forced sound stage - engaging vocals and I"ve never heard these headphones perform this way before. It's a different sound than the M15 I just switched from... I've only just turned the A90 / D90 (set 115v!) on for the first time, they haven't even warmed up...they are gradually getting more relaxed.

I hear now what someone said about needing the A90 / D90 needing about 10-15 minutes to "warm up". It just turned into something much rounder, less sharp.

I'm listing to this playlist of 192khz MQA, with the Windows 10 Tidal app Settings => Speakers (D90 MQA) => Settings Enabled: Use Exclusive Mode, Force Volume, Passthrough MQA:
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/bd51ad45-df8a-4333-8615-d7526b80b70a

$20 per month for Tidal MQA is a bargain, really it takes the full unfolding of MQA on the M15 running UAPP with bitperfect enabled (and the M15 0604 update) for me to "get it", and now I'm loving it.

I suppose I could spend $Thousands on Flac files and get the same thing, but $20 a month seems fair :)

You could buy a lot of music with $10,000 (DMP-Z1) - $1,500 (M15 + accessories) = $8,500, or save all that money and stream from Tidal, Amazon Music HD, and the rest....

Heck you could even get the Topping D90 MQA + A90 ($799 + $499) and still have enough for 20 years of Tidal...

"Cat's in the Cradle" - time to move to the TinHifi P1's or maybe the Sendy Aiva's... Blon BL-05's?

Happy listening... :sunglasses:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back