FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jan 22, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #496 of 4,083
Maybe its like the M11/M11Pro and its a factory fitted screen protecter that you can't actually tell is a screen protector when looking at it.
On my M11 you can clearly feel the glass protector is raised from the body of the DAP. The front glass of the M15 is flushed with the body. So I doubt it has one installed already.

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #499 of 4,083
As far as I remember, it was locked - sold my SP1000 and Cube long time ago.

I still have the SP1000 here. I can't find a way to change the low pass filter.

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #501 of 4,083
Did anyone notice one very important spec of the FiiO M15 and one that really surprised me... this could explain some people reporting overpowering bass... warmer signature...

Output impedance for 3.5 is 1.4ohm but worse for 2.5/4.4 it's around 3ohm! Check https://www.fiio.com/m15_parameters

BFBB6A98-B8AA-4A67-9514-376AA1ECCEF7.jpeg

This is quite high for a modern player... This is such a shame and a handicap...

If you have IEMs with lower impedance (and there are a lot of those these days), unless you have some LID, FIBAE or any compensation tech this will skew the signature bass wise and make your IEMs warmer... Out of balanced with the 1/8th rule means you need to have an IEM 24ohm or higher not to suffer from this!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #502 of 4,083
Does it happen to say what filter it’s using? It would be interesting to know when we read comparisons

Not that I can see, but my early read is that if I want to make an M15 sound like a really, really good SP1000, it seems the slow roll-off filter does that. I wonder if that will still be true after a week and with other IEMs and other headphones.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #503 of 4,083
Did anyone notice one very important spec of the FiiO M15 and one that really surprised me... this could explain some people reporting overpowering bass... warmer signature...

Output impedance for 3.5 is 1.4ohm but worse for 2.5/4.4 it's around 3ohm! Check https://www.fiio.com/m15_parameters

This is quite high for a modern player... This is such a shame and a handicap...

If you have IEMs with lower impedance (and there are a lot of those these days), unless you have some LID, FIBAE or any compensation tech this will skew the signature bass wise and make your IEMs warmer... Out of balanced with the 1/8th rule means you need to have an IEM 24ohm or higher not to suffer from this!

That's funny. Something that will not hiss with the Andromedas, but still can't handle it for other reasons.

Are there any cons to using an impedence adapter to make sensitive iems behave as higher impedence iems?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #504 of 4,083
That's funny. Something that will not hiss with the Andromedas, but still can't handle it for other reasons.

Exactly all this effort to have a low noise floor... I don't get how one can forget the Hiby R6 debacle (yeah, it was 10ohm OI but... )

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #505 of 4,083

Are there any cons to using an impedence adapter to make sensitive iems behave as higher impedence iems?
Didn’t a bunch of people prefer the Andromeda with a ~1.5 ohm impedance since it reduces the base abot in that range?

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #506 of 4,083

Looking forward to hearing it if it has overpoweri bass :L3000:

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #508 of 4,083
So any impressions / comparisons ? :p

It's a really great DAC. The Amp part is good, but not great, IMO. Like I said before, the default l.p. filter does not suit my tastes. With the right filter, though, I definitely think this is more musical, more open, more detailed (in good ways), and more enjoyable mids than the SP1000 to which I am comparing tonight. That's as a total DAP. As a DAC/frontend alone (which is a common use case for me), the gap between this and the SP1000 is quite a bit more still, and more than I expected. So it's a keeper for me definitely.

Qobuz installation and usage and SD card usage and DSD playback all work smoothly so far. No issues there, which is good. There are some small clicks when moving from PCM to DSD and back, but not bad.

But caveats: if the filter could not be adjusted, I would be returning this. With the stock filter this is a nice DAP, but not one that I would care to take with me in my bag every day.

Also: the impedance is definitely too high on the balanced connection. It is simply not usable with the a12t. The 3.5 works fine though and there is no noise to speak of (again, on the a12t's)

Also note: the protective cover is definitely for the back. Two clues: it fits perfectly and the back is very soft and easy to scratch without a cover.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #509 of 4,083
It's a really great DAC. The Amp part is good, but not great, IMO. Like I said before, the default l.p. filter does not suit my tastes. With the right filter, though, I definitely think this is more musical, more open, more detailed (in good ways), and more enjoyable mids than the SP1000 to which I am comparing tonight. That's as a total DAP. As a DAC/frontend alone (which is a common use case for me), the gap between this and the SP1000 is quite a bit more still, and more than I expected. So it's a keeper for me definitely.

Qobuz installation and usage and SD card usage and DSD playback all work smoothly so far. No issues there, which is good. There are some small clicks when moving from PCM to DSD and back, but not bad.

But caveats: if the filter could not be adjusted, I would be returning this. With the stock filter this is a nice DAP, but not one that I would care to take with me in my bag every day.

Also: the impedance is definitely too high on the balanced connection. It is simply not usable with the a12t. The 3.5 works fine though and there is no noise to speak of (again, on the a12t's)
That’s bad to hear :frowning2: it will be the same with u18t ?

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #510 of 4,083
That’s bad to hear :frowning2: it will be the same with u18t ?

I would think the a18t would be worse, right? Again, that's with the balanced 4.4.

the 12's sound great on the 3.5 SE. I'm enjoying that very much right now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back