FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Aug 17, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #3,706 of 4,083
Hello. How can I make a Hard Reset, if in my situation I cannot completely turn off the player, since the screen
blocked, I can only forcibly reboot by holding the power and play buttons together for 10 seconds. Developer options on the player are enabled, USB debugging is enabled, but it is impossible to control the player from a computer using ADB, since it is not possible to confirm permission to perform some actions due to screen lock. Maybe wait until the battery is completely discharged so that the player turns off, then in the off state to charge it and in the off state press the power button and the button of the previous track at the same time, select clear data / reset to factory settings? But even then it is not a fact that in this case I will see the Recovery menu on the screen and be able to select any menu items.

Dear friend,

Can you let the M15 be out of battery first, then charge it for some time? And then you could enter the recovery mode or not? If the issue still remains, please contact support@fiio.com about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 23, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,707 of 4,083
I had the chance to test the M11 Plus LTD and the M15 but only with my IEM (XBA-Z5 and IER-M9). But i don't own any High-Ohm Headhones anyway so it doesn't matter that much.

I am actually surprised how much power they put out for such a portable device. So if you need the power, wow (especially the M15).

But Sound wise i have mixed feelings about the price.

Sadly i don't own an WM1A nor was i ever able to test one (which is the direct competitor price wise to the M15). I only own the WM1Z so this is the one i compared to the M15

The comparison is a bit complicated because the WM1Z lacks app support or any streaming capabilities, also it pushes out much less power. I was curious if i would be even able to hear a difference but they are surprisingly easy to distinguish.

I would have loved to test the WM1A against the M15 because it feels like this is an unfair comparison but at least for me, the M15 didn't sound like the price it costs. While the WM1Z sounds... hard to describe. I'd say raw. The M15 sound somehow sounds processed to me. If i listen to some of my extremely well recorded and mastered live concerts, with the WM1Z it feels like you're actually in the place in the middle of the concert hall completely immersed. The M15 had an extremely detailed and very high quality sound, but it didn't feel immersed. It was just listening to music.

I can't say what exactly aspect of the sound made the difference, but with the WM1Z, the instruments sounded like an actual instrument in front of me while with the M15 it was way more the feeling of an recording i am listening to. Maybe sterile? If that is the right word.

I have been to one of those actual concerts and its available on DVD and i listened to it many times with many different sound systems and setups and the M15 just sounded pretty average to me.

But again, its comparing a 1400$ product to a 3300$ product, so i think this comparison is not fair from the beginning.

The M11 Plus LTD is about the same price as the ZX507 so this is a better comparison and even though it pushes out much more volume, somehow i experienced similar results.

The ZX507 doesn't sound as good as the WM1Z, but they sound similar. They are easy to distinguish but at the same time, its pretty obvious that they use similar technology.

The ZX507 lacks so much power and battery life. It feels so sluggish and clunky to use the Android on the ZX507, like on an old outdated smartphone where the M11 Plus LTD feels so smooth.

After using the Player (without listening to music) you instantly have the feel, that the M11 Plus LTD is the much better product, more premium.

But the sound is just so much better on the ZX507 :x

It seems like the FiiO M11 Plus LTD and M15 are so optimized on pushing out lots of power and having good SNR and stuff but somehow... i don't know.

I can totally understand that a lot of people like the sounds from those DAPs but after hearing them with the above mentioned IEMs, they feel overpriced to me.

I've read several pages of this thread before writing this and i can understand what some people like about the M15 but at the same time, i can absolutely not replicate what others heard or noticed with the M15...

Maybe its too related to the IEM and what you compare to. I personally prefer the WM1Z over the ZX507 but i prefer the ZX507 sound over the M11 Plus LTD and the M15

But not the Player itself, just the sound. The ZX507 feels like an extremely outdated piece of technology compared to the FiiOs except for the volume control. I hate the volume control on the M11 Plus LTD _and_ the M15.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,708 of 4,083
I had the chance to test the M11 Plus LTD and the M15 but only with my IEM (XBA-Z5 and IER-M9). But i don't own any High-Ohm Headhones anyway so it doesn't matter that much.

I am actually surprised how much power they put out for such a portable device. So if you need the power, wow (especially the M15).

But Sound wise i have mixed feelings about the price.

Sadly i don't own an WM1A nor was i ever able to test one (which is the direct competitor price wise to the M15). I only own the WM1Z so this is the one i compared to the M15

The comparison is a bit complicated because the WM1Z lacks app support or any streaming capabilities, also it pushes out much less power. I was curious if i would be even able to hear a difference but they are surprisingly easy to distinguish.

I would have loved to test the WM1A against the M15 because it feels like this is an unfair comparison but at least for me, the M15 didn't sound like the price it costs. While the WM1Z sounds... hard to describe. I'd say raw. The M15 sound somehow sounds processed to me. If i listen to some of my extremely well recorded and mastered live concerts, with the WM1Z it feels like you're actually in the place in the middle of the concert hall completely immersed. The M15 had an extremely detailed and very high quality sound, but it didn't feel immersed. It was just listening to music.

I can't say what exactly aspect of the sound made the difference, but with the WM1Z, the instruments sounded like an actual instrument in front of me while with the M15 it was way more the feeling of an recording i am listening to. Maybe sterile? If that is the right word.

I have been to one of those actual concerts and its available on DVD and i listened to it many times with many different sound systems and setups and the M15 just sounded pretty average to me.

But again, its comparing a 1400$ product to a 3300$ product, so i think this comparison is not fair from the beginning.

The M11 Plus LTD is about the same price as the ZX507 so this is a better comparison and even though it pushes out much more volume, somehow i experienced similar results.

The ZX507 doesn't sound as good as the WM1Z, but they sound similar. They are easy to distinguish but at the same time, its pretty obvious that they use similar technology.

The ZX507 lacks so much power and battery life. It feels so sluggish and clunky to use the Android on the ZX507, like on an old outdated smartphone where the M11 Plus LTD feels so smooth.

After using the Player (without listening to music) you instantly have the feel, that the M11 Plus LTD is the much better product, more premium.

But the sound is just so much better on the ZX507 :x

It seems like the FiiO M11 Plus LTD and M15 are so optimized on pushing out lots of power and having good SNR and stuff but somehow... i don't know.

I can totally understand that a lot of people like the sounds from those DAPs but after hearing them with the above mentioned IEMs, they feel overpriced to me.

I've read several pages of this thread before writing this and i can understand what some people like about the M15 but at the same time, i can absolutely not replicate what others heard or noticed with the M15...

Maybe its too related to the IEM and what you compare to. I personally prefer the WM1Z over the ZX507 but i prefer the ZX507 sound over the M11 Plus LTD and the M15

But not the Player itself, just the sound. The ZX507 feels like an extremely outdated piece of technology compared to the FiiOs except for the volume control. I hate the volume control on the M11 Plus LTD _and_ the M15.
Great notes!

Not too surprised to hear your impressions given your headphones are all Sony. I believe they tune their headphones and DAPs for a specific Sony house sound which is always organic/analog instead of clinical/analytical like the latest iterations of FiiO. I too find my Z1R a little too mid recessed and nervous on the high end with M15. However, some folks prefer that and for sure some headphones need it to sound their best.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #3,709 of 4,083
For those looking for dap that can be compared to Sony in sound signature I would recommend trying the Shanling M8 or the older M6. On the other hand, as regards the Fiio, I think that what (it loses) towards the dap Sony buys it back with the interest for the possibility of listening to streaming services and for those who want to make headphones such as the HD800S sound satisfactorily.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,710 of 4,083
Recessed mid and nervous on the high end is caused by the stock cable of Z1R. And I have listened to WM1A with my Z1R with Plussound PPH X8, there is no less recessed mid and nervous on the high end than M15 at the same location of the recordings. WM1A is dull and no dynamics compared to very revealing yet natural M15.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #3,712 of 4,083
I had the chance to test the M11 Plus LTD and the M15 but only with my IEM (XBA-Z5 and IER-M9).
Very well articulated comparisons, and timely too considering the following: current release of the M11+LTD; sale prices for Shanling M8 preceding the upcoming release of an M9 Limited Edition; rumors of new Sony flagship; etc.

I have M11+LTD and ZX507 and can agree with most of your observations. For me, the pros and cons and tradeoffs revolve around streaming requirements.

I use Apple Music and Qobuz; my primary headphones/earphones are all Sony (MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, IER-M9, MDR-1A). And hands down, when streaming, the M11+LTD is a much more enjoyable device to use when navigating a steaming service’s native app or using UAPP than the ZX507 (speed and screen size factor in the most). But, when I want to play the lossless and high-res files in my library on my SD cards, the Sony Music app on the ZX507 is the best sounding by far of my DAPs.

Caveats: Most of the arguments I see favoring flagship non-streaming DAPs from Sony, Cayin, Lotoo, L&P, etc., is that the people who love them rarely stream. I’m shifting to almost exclusively streaming so I continue to search for the best form/fit/function/sounding streaming-capable DAP, and the M11+LTD is certainly not letting me down. However, my all-time favorite way to enjoy streaming apps is on my iPad Pro with an L&P W2 dongle; and my favorite mobile setup is an iPhone 12 Mini with Airpods Pro.

Interesting times to be invested in this hobby with so many options.

Thanks for the thoughtful comparisons.
Cheers,
Gus

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #3,713 of 4,083
Very well articulated comparisons, and timely too considering the following: current release of the M11+LTD; sale prices for Shanling M8 preceding the upcoming release of an M9 Limited Edition; rumors of new Sony flagship; etc.

I have M11+LTD and ZX507 and can agree with most of your observations. For me, the pros and cons and tradeoffs revolve around streaming requirements.

I use Apple Music and Qobuz; my primary headphones/earphones are all Sony (MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, IER-M9, MDR-1A). And hands down, when streaming, the M11+LTD is a much more enjoyable device to use when navigating a steaming service’s native app or using UAPP than the ZX507 (speed and screen size factor in the most). But, when I want to play the lossless and high-res files in my library on my SD cards, the Sony Music app on the ZX507 is the best sounding by far of my DAPs.

Caveats: Most of the arguments I see favoring flagship non-streaming DAPs from Sony, Cayin, Lotoo, L&P, etc., is that the people who love them rarely stream. I’m shifting to almost exclusively streaming so I continue to search for the best form/fit/function/sounding streaming-capable DAP, and the M11+LTD is certainly not letting me down. However, my all-time favorite way to enjoy streaming apps is on my iPad Pro with an L&P W2 dongle; and my favorite mobile setup is an iPhone 12 Mini with Airpods Pro.

Interesting times to be invested in this hobby with so many options.

Thanks for the thoughtful comparisons.
Cheers,
Gus
I can totally understand the comfort of streaming, but it causes too many issues for me.

First there are the regional lock issues (some music i listen to is only available in certain countries, some streaming services in Japan only offer AAC or Hi-Res Audio (No CD Quality, actually i haven't found a single one that offers CD Quality).

You can't use the highly optimized Apps from the DAP Player, the Artist gets payed almost nothing (I just read that Artists get the same Money when they Stream the Album a 1'000'000 times or sell it 200 times) and so on.

I can totally understand that people want the comfort of streaming but it does have it dark sides. Not just technically but also ethically.

And about the price, as i don't care about physical media, i often just buy the CD used if its an older one (sometimes those are samples and sell for 99 cents), rip them as FLAC and just recycle them and new music isn't released fast enough, that it justifies the cost of monthly plans.

Beside that, there is nothing worse, at all, than wanting to listen to a song and having network connectivity issues when you're on the go and the song breaks apart at the best part.

I personal totally disagree with music streaming as it is right now and encourage everyone to just buy the music. If you love music, buy it.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #3,714 of 4,083
I can totally understand the comfort of streaming, but it causes too many issues for me.

First there are the regional lock issues (some music i listen to is only available in certain countries, some streaming services in Japan only offer AAC or Hi-Res Audio (No CD Quality, actually i haven't found a single one that offers CD Quality).

You can't use the highly optimized Apps from the DAP Player, the Artist gets payed almost nothing (I just read that Artists get the same Money when they Stream the Album a 1'000'000 times or sell it 200 times) and so on.

I can totally understand that people want the comfort of streaming but it does have it dark sides. Not just technically but also ethically.

And about the price, as i don't care about physical media, i often just buy the CD used if its an older one (sometimes those are samples and sell for 99 cents), rip them as FLAC and just recycle them and new music isn't released fast enough, that it justifies the cost of monthly plans.

Beside that, there is nothing worse, at all, than wanting to listen to a song and having network connectivity issues when you're on the go and the song breaks apart at the best part.

I personal totally disagree with music streaming as it is right now and encourage everyone to just buy the music. If you love music, buy it.
Just a small observation on my part and not to 'flame' your previous observation. The ethical concerns you raised have to be torn-up in respect to artist not getting paid 'nothing' on streaming services compare to your alternative of purchasing older CDs which are recycled. I buy a lot of 'recycled' CDs myself and I know that royalties aren't being paid to the artist, so I'm not sure how that is more ethically based compared to streaming sites?
My bugbear with streaming sites is purely a personal anomaly in that I gravitate to artist and albums I know in order to get an 'hours' worth of enjoyable listening. I find it difficult and irritating to listen to new artist material when one track may be 'okay' and the rest of the music is rubbish, IMHO. So can I really justify a Qobiz subscription?
I still can't pull the trigger on the streaming sites 'high-end' services. I would be interested to know how others are using their streaming services?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #3,715 of 4,083
Just a small observation on my part and not to 'flame' your previous observation. The ethical concerns you raised have to be torn-up in respect to artist not getting paid 'nothing' on streaming services compare to your alternative of purchasing older CDs which are recycled. I buy a lot of 'recycled' CDs myself and I know that royalties aren't being paid to the artist, so I'm not sure how that is more ethically based compared to streaming sites?
My bugbear with streaming sites is purely a personal anomaly in that I gravitate to artist and albums I know in order to get an 'hours' worth of enjoyable listening. I find it difficult and irritating to listen to new artist material when one track may be 'okay' and the rest of the music is rubbish, IMHO. So can I really justify a Qobiz subscription?
I still can't pull the trigger on the streaming sites 'high-end' services. I would be interested to know how others are using their streaming services?
Very good observation.
Almost nothing > absolutely nothing.

I use Qobuz. If I really get crazy about an album, I purchase it, possibly in HiRes, when exist. The difference can really be audible, if the equipment and the music material allows it, and if you care. Qobuz has significantly decreased the monthly fee a year ago.

I also have a Spotify family account - for the music which is not available on Qobuz and for family members who do not care about the quality difference.

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #3,716 of 4,083

I was in the same boat. Not sure about the financial model but I believe most musicians make a living by performing and use album sales to generate their following. However, I am seeing a very good library of digital masters on Apple Music for the music I like and there is no feasible way for me to buy those CDs and even if I did, no way to tell if the copy was from the same digital master. Even more so, I like music all the way back to 70s and most of my CDs were first gen analog to digital conversion so mediocre at best. In the past decade or so, the most influential albums were re-mastered from the original tapes with modern equipment so sounds orders of magnitude better. I don't even know where to buy those, but I can listen to them on Apple Music. That was enough to make me go streaming and putting my M15 up for sale since I don't think it will ever get Apple Music to work.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #3,717 of 4,083
I think there have been some misunderstanding in my initial post.

I buy music digitally whenever possible (buy, not stream). I don't like physical media because they take up space and i never use them.

I only buy CDs when there is no digital version available (which is the case for every non Hi-Res Audio Recording from Japan).

So my process is the following

Is the Music from Japan? -- No --> I buy it digital
Is the Music from Japan? -- Yes --> Is it available in Hi-Res audio -- Yes --> I buy it digital
Is the Music from Japan? -- Yes --> Is it available in Hi-Res audio -- No --> I buy the CD (New) because the only alternative is AAC 320

About used CDs, i do that to replace my collection made up of poor and crappy MP3s when there is no digital version available.

So for example my old Ensiferum Albums i downloaded 10 years ago illegal, i replace them by buying the digital Version, i don't buy the CD (neither new nor used).

Often i buy the AAC Version from Japan (so i can listen to it instantly) and just buy a used CD later to replace it (they often go for 99円, so about 99 Cent). Yes i could just buy the new CD instantly, but that would be more expensive (without giving the artist any more money), costs shipping (lots of shipping) and taxes.

So i just buy the AAC and every once in a while, when i collected 10 albums, i buy them in a batch (to save shipping) as used CDs to replace the AACs. That costs roughly 5-10€ plus shipping and everything. I end up for the price of the new CD then in the end, but i had instant access to the album.

Maybe thats stupid, i don't know :D maybe i should reconsider that tactic especially since new/cheaper shipping methods are available these days.

But yes, normally used CDs do not help the artist, but again, 200 Album Sales are 1'000'000 Album Streams and every used CD was a new CD in the past. And i doubt that only 0,02% of the people would buy the CD new and the other 99,98% would wait for the used CDs from those 0,02%. At some point, all used CDs are sold and so new CD sales are down the line.

But again, i personally buy digital whenever possible which is, in Japan, sadly complicated sometimes as they don't offer CD Quality (to protect CD sales)

That is why streaming services in Japan also don't offer CD Quality. Only AAC or Hi-Res. If there is no Hi-Res, there is only AAC (no matter if stream or buy).

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,718 of 4,083
Something I’ve not seen noted for a while, but a change that made the M15 way better for me was choosing the The slow-delay, slow roll filter! Early on a few other owners noted this, was a positive change for me!

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #3,720 of 4,083
Can I be a pain and get some clarity. Are you referring to the "short delay, slow roll-off filter" or the "slow roll off filter"?
No problem at all, ‘it’s actually the ‘Super Slow Roll-Off Filter’ that I use! I don’t recall changing it recently. Looking back in the thread, it was the ‘Slow Roll-Off Filter’ that was mentioned, I honestly can’t remember if I’ve changed it since or always used this one! Maybe try both 😀😀 I know though it made a difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back