[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Mar 20, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #1,801 of 2,991
Interesting take, but somewhat questionable if the M11+ Ltd (with AKMs) has worse spec numbers (as it does)...

Sabre chips are GREAT for benchmarking and 'spec sheets'.
Other companies that focused on 'audio first' often put out kit that doesn't benchmark so well, yet sounds vastly more musical. (To those who 'listen')..

I have ALWAYS downgraded my kit, when buying 'better equipment' when specs are to be believed.
Specs are a guide to whether it is built right.
Companies that tune for sound quality usually detune the 'perfect specs' until it sounds good.

I know many people like reading 'the best numbers' on their spec sheets; any spec sheet warring (at all) suggests this SHOULD be the pursuit.. but the reality is, specs that are 'good enough' and a sound profile that is musical should be the pursuit.

I am one of the few who seek out the 'version one' Panasonic UB9000 uhd/4k player: it uses AKMs, where as the replacement has jumped to sabre chips.
In this instance I actually feel that the sabre chips are actually 'better' parts, due to their lineup positioning (the AKMs in the version one model are typical mid tier stuff that finds its way into mass market surround receivers/soundbars etc), but it simply comes down to design philosophies; some companies put 'music first', some KNOW THAT the best best spec sheet numbers alone will win them market position.

I know MOST will disagree with what I am saying here, and it took me over a decade to find myself questioning some of these 'truths'.
The scientist in me was happy trusting specs alone, and I am no muso, so didn't trust my gut feeling on too many occaisions.

The amount of times I have bought vastly better kit, that has 'worse' spec sheet numbers, is insane...
That being said, some measurements I seek as 'minimums' for any class of kit, and as long as those minimums are met, then I have faith that it is 'built right'.
Valve components do force me to concede a few specs sheet lines, and I do so happily.. (my valve mono blocks are preferable to most of my kit that 'flogs them' (by the spec sheet), it doesn't take an audiophile to figure this out either... just watch the people in the room.. good kit gets toes tapping, well 'measuring kit' can often be so lifeless it is simply fatiguing, and most say' yes, "lovely" and are keen to get out of the room and enjoy a hot beverage, turning their visit to other pursuits 'more social'.
Vs 'good kit' that simply has people interrupting conversation moments to 'listen', even if the music is rooms away.

Anyhow, on post [topic] , the M11+ ltd doesn't have the 'spec sheet' advantage of the ESS M11+, nor the M17, so, not sure how they would come to 'that conclusion' (preferring the M11+ ltd) unless it was a personal opinion based on actually listening to them.
I have no horse in this race; I feel the M11+ ESS version has enough improvements to justify it as a purchase if 'both were in front of me at equal price'.
(for example the improved carbon fibre volume panel would have me actually trust using the volume panels' 'buttons'. /I've owned enough consumer kit to know that those buttons will 'break through' the Ltds' material when used enough...)

and, regarding the UB9000 panasonic UHD disc spinner, the ESS variant would no doubt be the better part. (not that most users will be using the multichannel out, but 'to blow the minds of those who think digital is always perfect; the digital out via HDMI (into receivers) is so 'low class' on the pansonic players less than the flagship, that my family vastly prefers listing to blurays via our older oppo unit due to the much clearer dialogue and better layered soundtracks it lifts. (both units passing 'digitally via HDMI, both set correctly, for best 'sound').
There is so much to passing digital well, and so much noise on the internet sharing science 'facts' as if they are 'real world' practicalities.
They simply are not.
Whether you have discovered these facts or not, please don't be so blind as to parrot them (not written to @Ichos, whom I absolutely value their opinion; a GREAT reviewer who understands MUCH DEPTH regarding the consumer market and our precious 'toys'),.. digital quality is not the same. it is why 10k$ transports exist. If you want to believe that a budget box (digital 'compatible') passes anywhere NEAR the same quality sound(/picture) as a 'better unit', trust me, IT DOES NOT!
So all the muppets who reckon they are saving a tonne and getting equal performance- it isn't true. Nothing wrong with saving money, nothing wrong with being happy with YOUR purchase; but it isn't fact.
Once a user has trained themselves to see 'consumer class reds' (video sources and TVs/cameras) or better digital transport helping sound quality (generally requiring a well matched reference system) then most of the 'entry level consumer stuff can be seen for what it mostly is: "format compatible".

The M11+, as a transport, is the cheapest gateway I have found to 'decent' digital transport.
That being said; it has massive issues in the present incarnation regarding becoming a jitter box after a small amount of time. Wasn't that way out of the box; something 'bad' happened with Google updating the OS (without telling me) when I connected to the play store. If I could do it over, I would buy a fresh M11+ and never let it update once... but this extra paragraph is tacked on, cause if it were a 'fresh post' it still wouldn't garner the attention it deserves, so I will keep my typical rants 'all together' to save thread readers having to figure out which other posts to 'skip over'. (I know I can be blocked, I hope @FiiO have not done this, as 'communication is key'!)

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #1,802 of 2,991
Digital quality matters: (further posting on this topic)
Using an iFi Diablo as a DAC (a decent quality consumer class DAC with a few tricks up its sleeve), the Digital that Apple music passes as 'lossless' just doesn't cut it vs an entry level CD player (eg Denon DCD 500AE) passing zeros and ones.
Instantly the music is 'better' (and that CD player is the poor sibling to the single disc, mid loading tray version I 'traded away' years ago for a lens adapter for a camera system to use older lenses from a different camera brand; that CD player was junk-fi, when compared to decent CD players from the nineties)..
The more, as consumers, we champion that 'compatible' (rather than capable) is good enough/'what we seek'; the more we influence the market to keep serving us 'spec sheet' greatness, that simply doesn't deliver.
There are so many aspects of our audio kit that we 'take for granted', that seem to go unmeasured, or certainly 'not be discussed' in meaningful ways that we write the manufacturers a 'hall pass' to serve us absolute junk.
Yes 'junk'!
because super underperforming equipment is so easy to 'better', that we can be sold it all again next year or next decade and be happy for the improvements.

There once was a time when passing digital wasn't a case of 'good enough' in the expensive kit; it sought out to 'actually do better'.
When we have format wars and branding and patent costs en masse to have to cover, the manufacturers sell us what we demand.
Focus (money) goes to the stuff that helps sell units.
IF THX amp modules become 'flavour of the moment', guess what?
THX amp modules quickly become the norm... (they serve a purpose, but more so for the people selling them than the consumer market...)
I love THX certification: 20 years ago.
I have a THX ULTRA amp at my feet as I write this.
But then select and select 2 and multimedia 'variants' came to market. (still had the THX name)
Yamaha, somewhat famously, didn't pay for THX cert on the replacement to the 2600 amp (the 2700 had the same specs, but no certification)..
The money they saved could go to other things (like actual sound quality, rather than a badge saying it had 'sound quality'. (If only they could trust consumers to 'figure it out')
Hi Res logo anyone?
I have speakers from sixty-seventy years ago WITH super tweeters (for high frequency playback). Vinyl actually delivers sound in areas that 'modern digital' does not. (but it has a logo saying it is 'hi res' so IT MUST BE?!)
As someone who had the original MDR-1a headphones (pre hi res logo), I questioned what the replacement changed about the design that netted it 'hi res' capability (absolutely NOTHING).

What does this have to do with doing 'good digital'?
That we consumers are easily misled; get stuck paying for patents, and don't see the goal posts constantly shifting.
It scares me when modern 'expensive' transports are no better than parts from twenty plus years ago (albeit slightly higher pricepoints, but with VASTLY better build and features, so about 'equal' based on consumer class price formula). Many people feel that most DACs sound the same, or worse, are simply the DAC chip itself that influences the circuit the most... (/completely!).
The better clocks in the M11+ are a 'thing'. Some players 2-3x the cost also implement dual femtosecond clocks as 'audio upgrades'.. sure some players nearer in price also do it, but is that for marketing?
The FiiO does it, as a constantly evolving product line, simply to 'make things better'. (their whole circuit has evolved constantly, refined mainboards, chip layouts, and more modern units having incredible shielding consideration etc)
Now that we are voting for 'slightly higher priced equipment', they can deliver 'better sound' with better parts in the BOM (bill of materials).

A great transport was ESSENTIAL at the height of two channel (digital) audio, and anyone playing with DACs knew this, yet because it hasn't been on anyones' radar for decades now, we concede this important step to passing digital. (cables is a whole 'nother "can of worms", so I will leave the ponderings at this stage)
Having a unit that does a decent effort at passing accurately the digital actually contained in the source files, is 'something special' in the present market state.
Anyone who has reviewed a 'bunch of DACs' and found them somewhat homogenised in sound, might consider that the FEED may have 'leveled the playing field' (to 'average capability' at best).
A great transport is something you buy once and keep forever.
If this were an ad, then I would remention 'how great the M11+' (and better players in FiiOs lineup) are at passing exceptional digital.
Using the Diablo as a DAC, the USB feed is substandard to the digital that the FiiO DAPs feed via COAX. (even with cabling 8x by cost in favour to the USB method, and the Diablo being built for USB first/'priority')

If everyone is 'happy' with Apple music from a 'modern Mac' then audio as a whole market slides in 'absolute' capability.
It arguably doesn't matter, but then I put on some "Our Lady Peace"(band) - Naveed(album), and by the time I have hit track 7 'denied', it all comes to forefront awareness.. "somehow we have been denied"
(edit on a CD via a 'budget' CD spinner; sounds 'so good')

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #1,803 of 2,991
Hmm. I was thinking about the ltd and how it compares. By the way, apos actually sell all the devices and said the same as u referencing m11 vs m17

Adds a lot of credibility to them because most sellers will say the most expensive product is always better. See https://apos.audio/blogs/news/fiio-m17-vs-fiio-m11
Ah I get it now; they are not mentioning the Ltd model (AKM DACs) at ALL (in the links this thread contains);
they give the win to both units- the smaller, lighter unit is 'cheaper' (win)
The larger unit has more veratility, nicer feeling volume dial (with immediate response!?) and greater headphone amping capability.

Something for everybody!! (reads like an ad, and as Ichos said, no sound comparison given)

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #1,804 of 2,991
Ah I get it now; they are not mentioning the Ltd model (AKM DACs) at ALL (in the links this thread contains);
they give the win to both units- the smaller, lighter unit is 'cheaper' (win)
The larger unit has more veratility, nicer feeling volume dial (with immediate response!?) and greater headphone amping capability.

Something for everybody!! (reads like an ad, and as Ichos said, no sound comparison given)
I think the sound comparison is implied. For example while explaining the real world differences between the 2 they wrote:

"So where do they differ, and does it matter? The FiiO M17 has the better DAC chip and amp chip, but the real-world differences between the two are marginal."

Mar 21, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #1,806 of 2,991
I think the sound comparison is implied. For example while explaining the real world differences between the 2 they wrote:

"So where do they differ, and does it matter? The FiiO M17 has the better DAC chip and amp chip, but the real-world differences between the two are marginal."
I have both and audible differences are not marginal.
That doesn't mean that the M11 Plus LTD isn't top class or the M17 is two times better.

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #1,810 of 2,991
For this one will know in a week
Will have ess m11+version ? Will wait your opinion is there biger differences to ltd. But from what i have found ltd had smoother highs and a little warmer overal presentation than ess which should be a little brighter and with more treble. These are main differences. So it could be truth but we really need more ears that heard and tested both.

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #1,811 of 2,991
Will have ess m11+version ? Will wait your opinion is there biger differences to ltd. But from what i have found ltd had smoother highs and a little warmer overal presentation than ess which should be a little brighter and with more treble. These are main differences. So it could be truth but we really need more ears that heard and tested both.
Yes I am waiting and I will inform the community as usual!

Mar 21, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,812 of 2,991
My LTD showed up today and I have to say it was worth the price of admission over the Pro. Aside from the responsiveness and speed, it has a sound that I can only describe as more refined than the Pro. Cleaner, crisper, and more full.
It also feels more substantial in my hand than the Pro. They really should have called it the M13 instead of continuing the M11 line, it feels more like a different model than an incremental upgrade/sidegrade.

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #1,814 of 2,991
Twins!
IMG_20220321_214642.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back