[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #1,501 of 2,984
It's a high end yamaha reciever and has good dac chips
which is how most people describe their home theatre (source) purchase.
(nobody buys the one with the ‘BAD’ DAC chips)

It comes down to implementation- I have heard (less than) a handful of ‘good’ surround amplifiers. (eg that can render a rock song correctly). Generally of the few good ones I have heard, they have been FLAGSHIPS.
Flagship receivers, are ‘top of the line’, sometimes have the engineers tweak the audio output via ‘parts rotation’ to sound great, and are what net the brand lots of credibility to sell all the budget boxes that make the profits.
Some flagship receivers will reconfigure themselves to use all the DAC chips (for multichannel sound) as a two channel ’high quality’ feed.

If you had one of those devices, then ‘yes’, use the amplifiers DAC to listen to the sound.

As someone who wouldn’t listen to 1% of my hifi (speakers) listening through megabuck flagship surround receivers (even fed into dedicated high end power amps), as they prove ‘junk’ for enjoying musicality, I’d suggest that ‘very few people’ have a surround receiver that makes music musical.
Like just about any amp would do prior to ‘dolby digital’.
I suppose my cut off is ‘does it sound AT LEAST AS GOOD AS A NAD3020’?
A nad 3020 was a budget amplfier starting around the late seventies and running towards the mid eighties, whose claim to fame was simply being ‘cheap’ and quite a few punters actually buying one. Which has made it ‘legendary’ to anyone getting into the hobby and discovering one, second hand, for peanuts prices.

If an amp can make music sound as ‘musical’ as a NAD 3020 (a fourty year old entry level ‘toy’) then it passes muster, in my mind, for ‘music duty’.
Of the handful of flagship amps that could muster this BASIC challenge, they are mostly twenty year old THX affairs.. (and were worth many many thousands of dollars, at a time when only a fraction of the present market patents were required to be licensed).

Yamaha do give great bang for buck. In fact they are my favorite brand of the mass market surround brands.
That being said, wanting a 4k HDR (at high framerate) capable receiver upgrade; the ‘lowly V series’ would be such a sonic downgrade that it would be poor form to slide it in ‘above the power amps’; even with its’ ‘good DACs’(hardly) it would be a downgrade vs using top tier kit from less than a decade ago.
The cost of something like the A6A, the practical ‘minimal’ part for me to buy, is too much coin, for the duty it would provide. (too many format wars create buyer hesitation)
Anything less than the higher tiered product line, definately use the DACs in the M11+

If it is a few years old, then the models had different number structure. If it was one of the top two-three units (depending on year) then it would be worthwhile using the amps inbuilt DAC.
Expensive surround receivers; very little money goes into DAC, but certainly do get a ‘better DAC’ (circuit) than ‘all the other models’. If you factored the DAC portion of your DAP as a fiscal outlay, you would see a very real amount of coin, in a DAP, might go towards DAC setup/design. (more likely in a consumer market driven by performance, ie digital audio players, rather than home theatre receivers (wattage and number of channels, processing reequalisation and room correction, ‘more zones’)

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #1,502 of 2,984
it has SABRE9006A Premier Audio DAC. Thanks for the long informative answer, i just want to know the best way of hooking it up to play tunes, wether by 3.5 mm jack to rca inputs or the front panel usb.

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #1,503 of 2,984
it has SABRE9006A Premier Audio DAC. Thanks for the long informative answer, i just want to know the best way of hooking it up to play tunes, wether by 3.5 mm jack to rca inputs or the front panel usb.
Essentially, if you think the DAC in your M11 Plus is better than the one in your Hifi Dac/Amp use the line out. If not, use the USB input on your DAC/Amp.

Based on what Whitedragem has said, you're likely to be better off using the RCA line out option.

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,504 of 2,984
There is no "best" way. Both will work.

To expand on the various comments:

Line-out (rca) is an analog signal. To get it, the DAP is taking the digital files and passing them thru the DAC's within the DAP to convert them. The analog signal coming out of the DAP is then amplified by your AV receiver.

USB is a digital signal. When you plug the DAP via USB into the AV receiver, the digital signal goes into the AV receiver DAC's and gets converted into analog. This analog signal goes into the AV receiver amp to be amplified.

Both work, you just need to determine what works or sounds better to you.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #1,505 of 2,984
I advertised:relieved: and I see FiiO RM1 BT remote pilot is coming back to favor.
1642203997712.png

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,506 of 2,984
You can go ‘either way’.

For some users, ‘wife acceptance factor’ or AESTHETICS, matters most, at which point you might choose a cable ‘style’ that looks good.

From a ‘technicality’ point of view, knowing which DAC chip (sabre9006A) is in use is only a tiny part of the ‘whole sound’ story. What the amp does with the sound is likely to sound different to what the FiiO DAP does with the sound (even if both pieces of hardware, DAP and surround receiver, both used THE SAME chip(s)).
If you feel the ‘size of the soundstage’ you get from both devices is ‘the same’, then you could easily go ‘either way’.

From experience with ’a similar’ situation, feeding a FiiO X5(III) DAP into a range of ‘surround receivers’ (all bolstered with ‘higher quality’ power amplifiers, connected via esoteric cables etc)(a best case scenario for ‘sound quality’ from a surround receiver) the FiiO X5(III) ran circles around a Yamaha RXV2700 and RXV1900, also various ‘nice’ Onkyos (DTR70.4 and a DHC80.1), as well as other nice surround receivers like an older Marantz SR9300 through various Sonys (ES ??)1500, and Denons (like an AVR3806) .

Most of these are ‘mid fi’ (at best). The Onkyo processor, the DHC80.1, as well as my ancient Proceed AVP2 processor actually could double as basic ‘half decent’ DACs. An Outlaw 990 processor was actually good in this regard due to having Dolby headphone etc.
but then all the other junk surround receivers I tested, such as a marantz sr6005, are just slush.. and certainly do not ‘recreate‘ CD quality sound (as it was heard in the nineties at least).
They all have great DAC chips, some ‘several of them’, a couple of units will do the cool ‘use multiple DAC chips for 2channel’ technique even.. and whilst they all have great reading spec sheets and ‘measurements’, the best thing a surround receiver does for the sound is the MultiXT32 or Audessey re-eq, that factors a listening spaces’ acoustic zone and can flatline the sound (and get critical subwoofer phase/timing done...)
It is true that when using offboard power amps, and using their ‘channel level adjusts’ to balance the speakers sound, the job that the front end processor has to do to volume match all the speakers can be mitigated to ‘a minimal adjustment’: in this case scenario, when using a decent (dedicated) processor, and feeding via reference amps, the sound from a surround amp can actually be ‘good’. (better than an entry level 2 channel/stereo amplifier even..)

So whether anyone wants to learn vicariously (via ‘others experience’) might gleam that mainstream surround amps aren’t ‘all that musical’ (nor are they designed to be, anymore, like they were in the early nineties when the format of surround sound was being widely adopted by the market, and had to at least EQUAL stereo sound parts)

But it is personal choice and many like to feed their music via 7 speakers (and multiple subs) etc, and so a likely usage scenario is to feed the DAP ( the FiiO M11+) into the surround and to PROCESS the sound (eg upmix it to multiple speakers); if that is the intention- feeding digitally would make a logical sense, ass otherwise the audio would be Digital to Analogue (DA) converted only to be Analogue to Digital (AD) reconverted, for processing, in order to be DA converted again... (eeek!)

Feeding an M11+ via the analogue outputs, the D to A already done, i’d feed into an analogue input (those RCA/phono ‘left‘ and ‘right’ connectors), and I’d choose the ‘pure music’ mode on my surround amp (the one that bypasses lots of noisy circuitry, sometimes even defeating the video circuitry; allows for ‘cleaner power’), and enjoy 2channel ‘stereo’ sound.
Like what most of our digital files are actually mixed and engineered to playback as...

so- to clarify, of all the processors and ‘preamps’ listed above; I’d feed a M11+ into ALL of them using line level ANALOGUE to get the ‘best sound’.
That being said, most of those DACs do perform noticably better, when fed from the M11+, than most dedicated CD transports and ‘really nice’ bluray/UHD players etc give, so hearing the M11+ feed digitally into the surround receiver is likely to be the best/cleanest/’most accurate’ source that the receiver will ever see...
The M11+ is an excellent transport, and will let any digital input sound its absolute best... (try it, you may like it)

The problem with feeding via USB into the amp is that the Sabre, which will want the ‘converted to DSD feed’, will not see the FiiO ‘all to DSD’ via the USB cable (I think it has to be the COAX output from the M11+, a connection for which is likely to be found on the rear of the receiver.. (although newer receivers and ‘budget’ receivers seem to miss having a few digital inputs on the rear (that aren’t HDMI))
If I was feeding into a receiver digitally, it would be via COAX. (I’d move mountains to avoid USB as a transport line)

Now, having addressed the LAME quality sound as typically found in anything less than flagship (surround) receivers, and having actually used a FiiO DAP to as a source; here were some of my expereinces: (using a X5 (version III) and ultimately a K5 dock)
The X5 was a good source (transport), it cleanly beat the Mac Mini output and nice ‘upper midrange’ CD players from days gone by. (I dumped a modern Denon CD transport as it was ‘junk’ by comparison). The X5(III) had a great, wide soundstage and sounded ‘very analogue’. IT could retrieve detail in complex passages from stringed instruments and did a good job seperating them. Fast transients and ‘phase shifting’ electric guitars all had requisite speed, but sound was ‘relatively flat’ compared to the X5(III) running through the (original) K5 dock.
The dock obviously bolstered the sound, giving it more power. The soundstage width increased, but more noticeably, a ‘front to rear’ sound stage depth kicked in, revealing much better positioning of instruments, and a more sterile (rather than coloured) playback during complex moments with many overlayed instruments.

The X5(III) doesn’t hold a candle to the M11+

The M11+ is probably one of the planets best doorways to a full ‘quality’ sound system.
It starts off as the TRANSPORT/DAC/AMP, quickly upgraded with a better amp, and ultimately a ‘future’ DAC, and will remain an exemplary source.
It is a great building block and has many and practical uses... (like BT in/out and airplay, and online sourced music programs run on it etc...)

TL: DR
The M11+ is a great source. one of the reasons it was factored as a purchase was probably the DAC chips used and their circuit, as a whole. To use said DAC chips, an analogue feed will be required from the unit. It has several ports for accomodating this, either using balanced (eg 4.4mm to xlr plugs) or the standard 3.5mm to 2x phono plug cable (that even most supermarkets carry).

To be fair this discussion is all ‘theory’; real world testing in any given setup is ALWAYS required. I’d use whichever cable I lay my hands on first, and ‘be done with it’ (Music is greater than ‘talking about music’).
:) (so lets) enjoy!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #1,507 of 2,984
i tied usb and got nothing so 3.5mm to rca is my next step

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #1,508 of 2,984
i tied usb and got nothing so 3.5mm to rca is my next step
Fair; on most surround amps I have used, the front USB can be tied to a specific platform.. (eg APPLE)

The good news is you were just handed a reason to try a better method.
If you have a 75ohm balanced RCA cable lying around, that combined with the COAX adaptor in the M11+ box would allow you to feed digitally into the REAR of the amp (check the receiver manual for COAX digital input)

Sometimes you can take a nicely shielded ‘generic’ RCA cable and use it as a digital transport cable (its not perfect, but it will work)
(also, turn off ‘all to DSD’ conversion in the M11+ until you sort out a working digital feed.)

another potential pitfall is if the ‘digital‘ volume on the M11+ isn’t at full, the digital output may not work (has been a recent bugbear for me..)

steps forward:
a) retry the USB (with volume on the M11+ turned UP and ‘all to DSD‘ turned off)
b) try the COAX rear input on the receiver (read the manual for the receiver to make sure it has COAX input, which it should, find the COAX adapter that came in the M11+ retail box, find an RCA cable with ‘nice build’ (and cross fingers that it is 75ohm and ‘just works’))
c) buy a 3.5mm to 2x phono/rca cable and feed via analogue (open bottle of wine/can of guiness, ‘enjoy’)

E4F72A7C-17C1-43CB-91D1-2B9AE293B6A9.jpegBelkin 3.5mm to 2x‘RCA’ is one of the better looking generic 3.5mm cables I have seen, whereas the 3.5mm adaptor next to it, in the above photo, has a cable gauge at least double the thickness, and splits and runs the left and right channels individually, beyond the first 10cm of cable that is ‘extra thick’. Of thirty plus ‘3.5mm to 2xRCA’ cables I have purchased (thanks ‘8channel’ PC gaming), the ‘thick’ gauged 3.5mm cable shown above is probably the best I have bought.. I have had ‘pro’ cables that decussate the channels somewhere along the way, with a cable sheath that doesn’t look like it would allow that ‘accident‘ to happen.
If spending more makes you feel comfortable- then please feel as comfy as you can get!! (go hard OR go home?!)

regarding the COAX cables, the ‘top two’ phono plugs (RCA) will both pass SPDIF signals, the shiny one on the left is a purpose built COAX cable from a hifi brand, and probably retails around $100, the yellow ‘standard video cable’ has a thicker gauge than generic red and white (right/left channel) cable, and actually passes digital audio. (how close to 75ohm it measures is ‘anyones guess’).

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #1,511 of 2,984
No ņ
Hi Everybody. I'm curious if anybody has tried the M11 Plus with Hifiman Aryas? The Aryas are on my radar to try, so I wondered if they would be good with the Fiio.
Haven't tried Aryas but tried sundaras so knowing how much planars need for full potencial m11plus not have so much power. This dap is for iems or not power hungry headphones. M17 or dx300 has what Arya needs.

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #1,512 of 2,984
@FiiO Would it be possible to set some nobs on the Cases for M11+ the original and the leather case don't have much to orient, when trying to use the Player blind. Powerbutton is easy to find, also the Volumeslider. Play/pause is a little harder to find and the Skipbuttons are an easy miss, when triying to find them only tactile (by touching and sliding around). Also would it be nice, to have an Option to see the LED at the powerbutton through the case to check at a glance if the player ist off or fully charged.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #1,513 of 2,984
Fair; on most surround amps I have used, the front USB can be tied to a specific platform.. (eg APPLE)

The good news is you were just handed a reason to try a better method.
If you have a 75ohm balanced RCA cable lying around, that combined with the COAX adaptor in the M11+ box would allow you to feed digitally into the REAR of the amp (check the receiver manual for COAX digital input)

Sometimes you can take a nicely shielded ‘generic’ RCA cable and use it as a digital transport cable (its not perfect, but it will work)
(also, turn off ‘all to DSD’ conversion in the M11+ until you sort out a working digital feed.)

another potential pitfall is if the ‘digital‘ volume on the M11+ isn’t at full, the digital output may not work (has been a recent bugbear for me..)

steps forward:
a) retry the USB (with volume on the M11+ turned UP and ‘all to DSD‘ turned off)
b) try the COAX rear input on the receiver (read the manual for the receiver to make sure it has COAX input, which it should, find the COAX adapter that came in the M11+ retail box, find an RCA cable with ‘nice build’ (and cross fingers that it is 75ohm and ‘just works’))
c) buy a 3.5mm to 2x phono/rca cable and feed via analogue (open bottle of wine/can of guiness, ‘enjoy’)

E4F72A7C-17C1-43CB-91D1-2B9AE293B6A9.jpegBelkin 3.5mm to 2x‘RCA’ is one of the better looking generic 3.5mm cables I have seen, whereas the 3.5mm adaptor next to it, in the above photo, has a cable gauge at least double the thickness, and splits and runs the left and right channels individually, beyond the first 10cm of cable that is ‘extra thick’. Of thirty plus ‘3.5mm to 2xRCA’ cables I have purchased (thanks ‘8channel’ PC gaming), the ‘thick’ gauged 3.5mm cable shown above is probably the best I have bought.. I have had ‘pro’ cables that decussate the channels somewhere along the way, with a cable sheath that doesn’t look like it would allow that ‘accident‘ to happen.
If spending more makes you feel comfortable- then please feel as comfy as you can get!! (go hard OR go home?!)

regarding the COAX cables, the ‘top two’ phono plugs (RCA) will both pass SPDIF signals, the shiny one on the left is a purpose built COAX cable from a hifi brand, and probably retails around $100, the yellow ‘standard video cable’ has a thicker gauge than generic red and white (right/left channel) cable, and actually passes digital audio. (how close to 75ohm it measures is ‘anyones guess’).
sweet, thanks!! i do have those rca to 3.5mm cables

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #1,514 of 2,984
@FiiO Would it be possible to set some nobs on the Cases for M11+ the original and the leather case don't have much to orient, when trying to use the Player blind. Powerbutton is easy to find, also the Volumeslider. Play/pause is a little harder to find and the Skipbuttons are an easy miss, when triying to find them only tactile (by touching and sliding around). Also would it be nice, to have an Option to see the LED at the powerbutton through the case to check at a glance if the player ist off or fully charged.
Thanks for the kind feedback. We will report to the designer and engineer for assessing about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 17, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #1,515 of 2,984
Hello,

I'd like to call some attention to the Replaygain clipping issue again, in hope that it may be fixed one day.
I posted the below in this thread a while ago:
Replaygain causes some tracks to exhibit clipping: I figured this might be because of the replaygain implementation used in FiiO Music.
The same tracks used in Foobar2000 for example don't show the same issue. Foobar's implementation of Replaygain also has a peak limiting feature which reduces potential clipping. Maybe you can implement something similar for the FiiO software.
Foobar also has a DSP called "Advanced Limiter," which seems to detect hot peaks and lowers them to prevent clipping, and having something similar would be useful for the M11+.

Another user posted the below in the M9 thread, which seems to be the same problem:
Found it!

Cracking sound were also with bluethooth speakers and with another head phone (wired).
Therefore I reseted the M9 and did nothing but scan for music. No update, no further settings. Now the cracking sounds were gone!
Strange. :wink:
So it had to be a setting (or the update, but this I ruled out because it is quite unlikely) which I did after starting the M9 and I found that it is the Replay gain function which I usually switch on as I have quite different recorded albums. So replay gain seems to cause overrides in certain situations. Which is strange as I use replay gain also with my squeezebox and there are no cracking sounds with the files in question.
It would be great if you could confirm this by testing my files with replay gain (by album) on.
THX!

Some other info:
  • My M11+ is updated to 1.06
  • The same audio files don't have any crackling issues when played on PC through my on-board integrated motherboard soundcard
  • Using the M11+ as a USB DAC, there are no crackling issues either

So the above seems to be specifically a software issue with how the Replaygain is implemented on the M11+ itself, or with Android audio output and Replaygain.
@FiiO Hopefully you can figure out what the problem is, and address it in a future update.

---

Unrelated to the above issue, but there are also still some issues remaining with the Wake on Tap function.
For one, it doesn't always work, possibly when the player has been on standby for a while, and no amount of taps will wake the device.
You have to press the power button to turn it on, then Wake on Tap will function afterward (for a while).

I also think that it's still a bit too difficult to get Wake on Tap to work all the time, and some further refinement for it to recognize more tapping patterns is probably needed.
Because of the above two issues, I currently don't use this function, because it's more reliable to press the power button.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back