[FiiO K5Pro/K5Pro ESS]Desktop DAC and Amplifier+768K/32Bit and DSD512 decoding+3 gain levels (K5 Pro ESS (Red Version) Is Available Now)
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #616 of 633
I just got this to use with my Edifier S2000mkiii speakers and desktop PC. I'm totally new to these things, so right now I have it connected via RCA and USB to PC.. Where should I control the volume from? Right now I have windows at 100 and the Fiio all the way up and controlling volume through the speakers.
This is how I use it when feeding a speaker’s amp. It is equivalent to a DAC’s fixed mode.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #617 of 633
I just got this to use with my Edifier S2000mkiii speakers and desktop PC. I'm totally new to these things, so right now I have it connected via RCA and USB to PC.. Where should I control the volume from? Right now I have windows at 100 and the Fiio all the way up and controlling volume through the speakers.
This is what I do as well. And also it makes it easier to control the volume in the long run as the edifier has a remote so you don’t have to lean into your amp or source to make the volume louder or softer.

Mar 30, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #618 of 633

Make an Impressive Debut! FiiO's Desktop DAC and Headphone Amplifier K5 Pro ESS (Red Version) Is Available Now!​

FiiO is a user-oriented company. This time, to meet the needs of users around the world, we developed the desktop DAC and headphone amplifier K5 Pro ESS with a red version. Although it is not our first time launching a red product, it is a bold attempt.
7529665.jpg

From the materials and configurations, the red K5 Pro ESS is no different from the previously available black version, which also uses ESS ES9038Q2M DAC and is equipped with XMOS XUF208, supporting up to 32bit/768kHz and DSD512 decoding, supports coaxial/optical/RCA line input, and 6.35mm /RCA line output.
7466261.jpg

Although it is just a new color scheme, exploring more color schemes is an important part of our HiFi desktop setup. Placing the delicate red K5 Pro ESS on the desktop is quite an accent, and if there are other color-matching products, the combined visual effect will be quite attractive.
7466262.jpg

The K5 Pro ESS (Red Version) is available on our AliExpress Official Store. Click the link below to take it home right away.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003682930042.html

Best regards,
Guangzhou FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.
7466263.jpg

7466264.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #620 of 633

Make an Impressive Debut! FiiO's Desktop DAC and Headphone Amplifier K5 Pro ESS (Red Version) Is Available Now!​

FiiO is a user-oriented company. This time, to meet the needs of users around the world, we developed the desktop DAC and headphone amplifier K5 Pro ESS with a red version. Although it is not our first time launching a red product, it is a bold attempt.
7529665.jpg

From the materials and configurations, the red K5 Pro ESS is no different from the previously available black version, which also uses ESS ES9038Q2M DAC and is equipped with XMOS XUF208, supporting up to 32bit/768kHz and DSD512 decoding, supports coaxial/optical/RCA line input, and 6.35mm /RCA line output.
7466261.jpg

Although it is just a new color scheme, exploring more color schemes is an important part of our HiFi desktop setup. Placing the delicate red K5 Pro ESS on the desktop is quite an accent, and if there are other color-matching products, the combined visual effect will be quite attractive.
7466262.jpg

The K5 Pro ESS (Red Version) is available on our AliExpress Official Store. Click the link below to take it home right away.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003682930042.html

Best regards,
Guangzhou FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.
7466263.jpg

7466264.jpg
Hi, I have a K5 Pro which I use with a Hiby R3 Pro Saber as a source. Is there any way that the K5 will show it's processing FLAC or DSD files?

When it's connected via line in, all I get is blue lights, no matter what files are being played.

When I change to a 3.5mm to Coax cable (Coax into the K5) and change the input, the light goes red, but no sound. I have disconnected the RCA line in cables at this time.

If I plug in my laptop via USB, it changes colour. But not all of my FLAC/DSD files are on that laptop.

Why won't the K5 detect DSD/FLAC files from my DAP, either via Coax or RCA, but it will via USB?

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #621 of 633
When a source is connected to the K5 via RCA line in, the signal is analog, it has been processed by the source's DAC and we cannot expect any information about the type or sampling rate of the digital signal, which is ultimately what the color code on the volume knob indicates, since there isn’t any as the K5 internal DAC has been bypassed.
In the other case (connection to the digital coaxial input of the K5), it may be a Hiby configuration problem (is there any parameter to configure the 3.5 mm output as S/PDIF coaxial output?)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #622 of 633
When a source is connected to the K5 via RCA line in, the signal is analog, it has been processed by the source's DAC and we cannot expect any information about the type or sampling rate of the digital signal, which is ultimately what the color code on the volume knob indicates, since there isn’t any as the K5 internal DAC has been bypassed.
In the other case (connection to the digital coaxial input of the K5), it may be a Hiby configuration problem (is there any parameter to configure the 3.5 mm output as S/PDIF coaxial output?)
Thanks so much for your quick reply.

No, I can't configure the 3.5mm output at the DAP side. I've tried using a 3.5mm to coax cable, and I get nothing.

The only other option is to get a USB-A to USB-C adaptor for the DAP, because as I said before, it lights up different colours when I connect my laptop via USB, so it recognises the different file types.

I can change the function of the USB-C port and use the cable that I would use for the laptop.

The only thing I'm not sure about is that the DAP has a built in DAC. The K5 has one as well. Is there any conflict that can happen there which interferes with what signal the K5 will output?

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #623 of 633
Thanks so much for your quick reply.

No, I can't configure the 3.5mm output at the DAP side. I've tried using a 3.5mm to coax cable, and I get nothing.

The only other option is to get a USB-A to USB-C adaptor for the DAP, because as I said before, it lights up different colours when I connect my laptop via USB, so it recognises the different file types.

I can change the function of the USB-C port and use the cable that I would use for the laptop.

The only thing I'm not sure about is that the DAP has a built in DAC. The K5 has one as well. Is there any conflict that can happen there which interferes with what signal the K5 will output?
According to R3 Pro user manual, there are two methods of outputting digital sound thru the USB-C port: coaxial (with a special USB-C to 3,5 mm.cable) or right to the DAC with an USB-C to whatever kind of USB input port the DAC has. In your case, a USB-C to USB-B cable is needed to connect the Hiby to the K5. However, the manual (called “instructions”) is quite sparse and says nothing about the settings that have to be set on the device. Something like configuring the USB-C port as an “USB audio output”, I guess.

Yes, the R3 is a DAP, so it has three major components built in: a player app, a DAC and a headphones amplifier. You can use only one DAC in the sound path, either the one in the R3 or the one in the K5. In the first case the connection between the devices should be digital (R3 player USB-C output to K5 DAC input); in the second case, the connection should be analog (R3 DAC 3,5 mm. port output to K5 amplifier RCA input).

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #624 of 633
According to R3 Pro user manual, there are two methods of outputting digital sound thru the USB-C port: coaxial (with a special USB-C to 3,5 mm.cable) or right to the DAC with an USB-C to whatever kind of USB input port the DAC has. In your case, a USB-C to USB-B cable is needed to connect the Hiby to the K5. However, the manual (called “instructions”) is quite sparse and says nothing about the settings that have to be set on the device. Something like configuring the USB-C port as an “USB audio output”, I guess.

Yes, the R3 is a DAP, so it has three major components built in: a player app, a DAC and a headphones amplifier. You can use only one DAC in the sound path, either the one in the R3 or the one in the K5. In the first case the connection between the devices should be digital (R3 player USB-C output to K5 DAC input); in the second case, the connection should be analog (R3 DAC 3,5 mm. port output to K5 amplifier RCA input).
I purchased from Amazon a USB B (into K5) to USB C cable, as well as USB A to USB C adaptor.
I can then use either.

Fingers crossed that one of these works. I'm pretty sure my laptop (HP ZBook workstation) has some kind of built in DAC and it was changing colours on the volume knob according to the file type when playing files from it via Foobar2K (with Fiio plugin and another to handle DSD files).

We'll see within 24hrs...

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #625 of 633
I'm pretty sure my laptop (HP ZBook workstation) has some kind of built in DAC and it was changing colours on the volume knob according to the file type
Of course it has a DAC. Any device which is able to produce an analog signal out of digital audio files needs a DAC to perform such task. But, if you connect the laptop to the K5 thru a USB connection, which sends digital audio, the only DAC that is working is the one inside the K5, which is responsible of the knob changing colors.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #626 of 633
I've just received the cable. Colours now change!

With the R3 Pro Saber, you can change how the USB C port functions, either data transfer, charging, our output. I changed it to output, and for FLAC & DSD files I get a purty lime green glow, and for anything 16/44.1 it's blue. I think it's the same for MP3s but I don't have any.

Thanks again for your replies and filling in a few blanks in my knowledge.

I just saw your flair/equipment list at the bottom of your post, and that's reminded me to do mine, as I've just got another pair of Ultrasones (Signature Studio, to keep company with a Signature DXP and Pro 2900) and an almost stock Hifiman HE-500 & HE-5XX.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #627 of 633
Excellent! I'm glad you solved the problem. You’re right about mo3 files; they are played with blue color, as well as PCM files up to 16/48.

Nov 22, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #628 of 633
Fingers crossed this will help someone else, if it wasnt for your reply that made me get that cable, i was seriously considering selling the K5 and just get a amp-only setup.

Which would be a silly thing, as it's a great DAC/AMP for the money. If it can easily drive an OG HE-500 without going past 11 o'clock on medium gain to nearly uncomfortable volume levels, that plenty good enough for me.

Edited, because tablet was playing up and posted a half finished reply.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #630 of 633
Try the K9's, soooo impressive, had K5, nice, but K9 is out of this world.
The K9 should be nice for 3 times the price I paid for my K5Pro, and the K9 Pro is over 6X what I paid! That's about Australian $700 to 1300 for those 2.

If I'm spending that kinda $, I'd go a little further and look at an RME stack.

It's nice to dream though.

If I was to upgrade, I would upgrade my DAP first, but the R3 Pro Saber is quite sufficient for now.

I'm a typical stubborn guy sometimes, and will keep stuff well beyond their useful life for my needs. But the only phone I use the K5 for is the HE-500, and it never gets past 12o'clock so I think I'm good. My Ultrasones don't really need it, except maybe the 2900's are marginally better.

Again, there's mods I'd do to the 500's before amp/DAC upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back