Fiio K5 Pro ESS vs Topping DX3 Pro+
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #16 of 31
Thanks for your input. Things were also a bit easier for me because I am unable to get Schiit stuff over here easily OR cheap (shipping to scandinavia, taxes, customs etc...)
I know lots of people over America like them but due to the price and availability, none of the Schiit stuff was really an option for me. :)
Well, we get good cheap amp/DACs and you get healthcare and a good standard of living, lol! I'm leaning toward the Fiio, so I'm glad you were able to get one too!

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #17 of 31
I'm pretty sure Schiit uses AKM chips vs ESS.
Yeah Modi 3+ was AK4490, but as you know with AKM fire so now Modi 3E (I guess E stand for ESS) use ES9018 chip now.

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

I guess similar story to the K5 Pro (AK4493) vs K5 Pro ESS (ES9038Q2M).

Maybe I like how the older ESS chip sounds...... LOL, ES9018 and ES9038Q2M are consider as old these days.
I definitely feel right at home switching from the Dragonfly Red to the K5 Pro ESS, though. VERY similar tonality. I will say the soundstage feels wider on the Fiio, and the vocals have a lot more room to breathe. With the Dragonfly vocals feel closer and a little more in front of you, vs more enveloping with the Fiio.
lol that's very good to hear, maybe next paycheck I should pick one up. :grinning:
Thanks for your input. Things were also a bit easier for me because I am unable to get Schiit stuff over here easily OR cheap (shipping to scandinavia, taxes, customs etc...)
I know lots of people over America like them but due to the price and availability, none of the Schiit stuff was really an option for me. :)
Well, we get good cheap amp/DACs and you get healthcare and a good standard of living, lol! I'm leaning toward the Fiio, so I'm glad you were able to get one too!
LOL I guess me being in Canada I'm like half way in middle. Getting Schiit stuff sux (shipping/tax) but probably not as bad as Finland. But we do have free healthcare which is probably also better than USA but not as good as Finland.

But as far as dac/amp is concerned, probably cheaper for me to get FiiO K5 Pro ESS lol.

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 31
I too were looking for something along these lines, I don't have the opportunity to test products though so it's buying blind and from reviews etc. I ended up with something completely different though lol. Different enough to wish I kept to my original plan. Oh well, more purchases to look forward too! Just need to find my some monies

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 31
I too were looking for something along these lines, I don't have the opportunity to test products though so it's buying blind and from reviews etc. I ended up with something completely different though lol. Different enough to wish I kept to my original plan. Oh well, more purchases to look forward too! Just need to find my some monies
Lol what did you end up getting? Also what do you plan to get next?

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #20 of 31
Loxjie P20 and a ifi hip DAC.
Next? One of these https://en.cayin.cn/features/8/57/73/326.html

Ha, in my dreams.
Strong feels for a Topping D&A90 stack. Nothing too expensive, but hi end sounding enough to keep me at bay

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 31
Loxjie P20 and a ifi hip DAC.
Next? One of these https://en.cayin.cn/features/8/57/73/326.html

Ha, in my dreams.
Strong feels for a Topping D&A90 stack. Nothing too expensive, but hi end sounding enough to keep me at bay
lol you're all over the place, tubes, portable, solid state, low price, high price LOL.

Though Topping generally go for measurement so I wouldn't be surprised if the DX3 Pro+ sound exactly like the D90/A90 stack.

Jul 8, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 31
lol you're all over the place, tubes, portable, solid state, low price, high price LOL.

Though Topping generally go for measurement so I wouldn't be surprised if the DX3 Pro+ sound exactly like the D90/A90 stack.
Well ideally I'd like a desktop combo and something I can take around the house. But can't be afford a micro DSD signature.

Jul 8, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #23 of 31

I did read about that with topping the other day, the have their models offer more versatile options and sound stays the same. I didn't know how true it was.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #24 of 31
Well ideally I'd like a desktop combo and something I can take around the house. But can't be afford a micro DSD signature.
Since you already have hip dac I'd say you're probably good for a while. Or until you have the fund to upgrade to Mojo 2, iFi Gryphon or Micro iDSD Signature (was on sale a while back).
I did read about that with topping the other day, the have their models offer more versatile options and sound stays the same. I didn't know how true it was.
Yeah I think it was DMS on youtube saying he find he couldn't hear any difference between the models. Though I've never bought a Topping dac/amp so I can't say for sure.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #25 of 31
LOL I end up finding someone selling K5 Pro ESS for decent price so I end up getting one too!

First impression, it does indeed sound very clean at the same time very rich and bold sounding. Though this is a preference thing, maybe I'm too used to the upfront vocal of Dragonfly Red? So I find the vocal just a tad bit too laid back for my taste? Might just need more time to get used to it.

Also is it me or the 3 gain settings doesn't feel like it changes too much. Like there is a difference but not a huge difference between gains.

Again might need more time with it but here is my first impression lol.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #27 of 31
Also is it me or the 3 gain settings doesn't feel like it changes too much. Like there is a difference but not a huge difference between gains.

I've only tried/used few different cans till now. The most noticeable difference was that I *have* to use the gain's middle position for my Hifiman HE400se to have them come to life. The lowest setting just stays way too quiet and seems to lack dynamics. With couple different easy to drive Sennheisers, the only noticeable difference is the loudness and the first position works just fine.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #28 of 31
I've only tried/used few different cans till now. The most noticeable difference was that I *have* to use the gain's middle position for my Hifiman HE400se to have them come to life. The lowest setting just stays way too quiet and seems to lack dynamics. With couple different easy to drive Sennheisers, the only noticeable difference is the loudness and the first position works just fine.
Yeah I guess it might be headphone / pairing dependent. I do find most of the time high gain usually sound better than low gain in most cases for me. It's almost like low gain just doesn't have enough juice to make the headphone sing as you said.

In this case I find low/mid/high just sound a little bit different but can't pinpoint which I like more yet.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #29 of 31
Hey, just wanted to follow up and say I finally got the Fiio K5 Pro ESS, Schiit Modi 3E and Magni 3+B, and ifi Zen DAC 2.
Hey so I bought the K5 Pro ESS and thought the vocal was too far for my taste, where as I still like Dragonfly Red's intimate vocal.

Then on the Modi 3E thread I read someone compares Modi 3E's sound signature to Modi Multibit which is "on the stage" presentation aka very upfront.

Would you be able to compare the vocal distance of K5 Pro ESS / Dragonfly Red / Modi 3E by any chance?

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #30 of 31
Hey so I bought the K5 Pro ESS and thought the vocal was too far for my taste, where as I still like Dragonfly Red's intimate vocal.

Then on the Modi 3E thread I read someone compares Modi 3E's sound signature to Modi Multibit which is "on the stage" presentation aka very upfront.

Would you be able to compare the vocal distance of K5 Pro ESS / Dragonfly Red / Modi 3E by any chance?

Thanks!
Hey!

So unfortunately I've already returned the Schiit stack, but, I was really hard pressed to discern any real differences between the K5 Pro ESS and the Schiit stack. I didn't hear any differences in vocal positioning, so I think it's still going to be too far for your tastes. The Dragonfly Red is really something special, I think. I know a lot of audiophiles don't like it, but for me it sounds so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back