Fiio K5 not providing bass and power expected (weak compared to Fiio E12), URGENT PLEASE HELP.
Mar 26, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 25

Yer definitely comes close to running out of volume.So what your saying is you'll bring out a new model with amended gain levels, although mine will obviously still have this issue? Sucks to be an early buyer!

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 25

Yer definitely comes close to running out of volume.So what your saying is you'll bring out a new model with amended gain levels, although mine will obviously still have this issue? Sucks to be an early buyer!

12dB Gain should be plenty for Q701

Quote:
The K5 has up to 12dB gain while the E12 had 16dB. Did you find yourself running out of volume knob on the K5? We may plan to amend the gain levels on the K5 to give more volume boost in the future. (the max power output remains the same) 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Joe, do you know what's the line out voltage (max) on X3 II?

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 25
I am selling my K5. Anyone interested please PM me.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #19 of 25
Now I am awakening this thread. I need help from you experienced Head-fi members for some reason...
E12 is stated as 14,96 Vp-p and 150 mw @300 ohms.
K5 is stated as 20 Vp-p and 150 mW @300 ohms.
What?
After solving this one (I hope), which one of those amps should I buy to use with my X3ii - AK6 K612 ? Not outdoors, only with my desktop computer, foobar2000. X3ii will be my DAC like now, I want to pair it with an amp then pair them with my computer.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #20 of 25
  Now I am awakening this thread. I need help from you experienced Head-fi members for some reason...
E12 is stated as 14,96 Vp-p and 150 mw @300 ohms.
K5 is stated as 20 Vp-p and 150 mW @300 ohms.
What?
After solving this one (I hope), which one of those amps should I buy to use with my X3ii - AK6 K612 ? Not outdoors, only with my desktop computer, foobar2000. X3ii will be my DAC like now, I want to pair it with an amp then pair them with my computer.

K5. No bass boost but you can use EQ if you really want to boost it anyway. Has a dock for the X3II and you won't need to worry about charging it or eventually wearing out the battery as with the E12.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 25

K5. No bass boost but you can use EQ if you really want to boost it anyway. Has a dock for the X3II and you won't need to worry about charging it or eventually wearing out the battery as with the E12.

Yeah, I'm getting used to EQ boosting these days, especially foobar2000 EQ features are great. I'm gonna buy K5 instead of A5 or E12 I think.
Other than higher volume, what would be the amp (K5) effects on X3ii with AKG K612? More controlled sound?

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #22 of 25

Other than higher volume, what would be the amp (K5) effects on X3ii with AKG K612? More controlled sound?

More controlled, ie less distortion, at higher volume to be more precise. As to whether you'll be able to hear the difference over the E12, that's hard to tell, especially if the zone where the K5 won't distort is beyond the level you'd normally listen at anyway.

Again though considering you don't have the E12 anyway the advantages of the K5 are in the dock and not having a battery that would eventually wear out. Barring anything breaking you can keep this amp a lot longer.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #23 of 25

More controlled, ie less distortion, at higher volume to be more precise. As to whether you'll be able to hear the difference over the E12, that's hard to tell, especially if the zone where the K5 won't distort is beyond the level you'd normally listen at anyway.

Again though considering you don't have the E12 anyway the advantages of the K5 are in the dock and not having a battery that would eventually wear out. Barring anything breaking you can keep this amp a lot longer.

Thank you, sorry for late response. There are so many topics here.
When you say more controlled, precise sound with less distortion with K5+X3ii compared to X3ii, it's easily perceivable/audible with my AKG K612 right?

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 25
  When you say more controlled, precise sound with less distortion with K5+X3ii compared to X3ii, it's easily perceivable/audible with my AKG K612 right?

More precise yes, but as to whether you'd hear it, it depends. More likely the portable amp might only get less precise at a point where it's much louder than your regular listening levels, ie, you really have to force it to distort, so up to a point, they might be hard to distinguish. This is why, unless it's a much harder to drive headphone or the comparison involves a much lower output portable amp (or the desktop amp is USB powered), the advantage of the K5 lies more in its dock and not having a battery that will fail to charge or bloat eventually.

Think of it like a car or bike chassis. A GT86 and MX-5 or a Z1000 and Panigale might feel similar on the road driving at 7/10s on curvy back roads, but take them to the track and the MX-5 and Panigale will show you a more planted and/or more agile chassis when really pushed - braking late (and really standing on the bike brakes), grip vs over/understeer when cornering (and really leaning on a bike), brake fade over several laps, etc. If you don't go to the track to (more safely) drive at that level then practically there isn't much of a difference between each car and each bike in terms of performance, just with looks and ergonomics.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #25 of 25

More precise yes, but as to whether you'd hear it, it depends. More likely the portable amp might only get less precise at a point where it's much louder than your regular listening levels, ie, you really have to force it to distort, so up to a point, they might be hard to distinguish. This is why, unless it's a much harder to drive headphone or the comparison involves a much lower output portable amp (or the desktop amp is USB powered), the advantage of the K5 lies more in its dock and not having a battery that will fail to charge or bloat eventually.

Think of it like a car or bike chassis. A GT86 and MX-5 or a Z1000 and Panigale might feel similar on the road driving at 7/10s on curvy back roads, but take them to the track and the MX-5 and Panigale will show you a more planted and/or more agile chassis when really pushed - braking late (and really standing on the bike brakes), grip vs over/understeer when cornering (and really leaning on a bike), brake fade over several laps, etc. If you don't go to the track to (more safely) drive at that level then practically there isn't much of a difference between each car and each bike in terms of performance, just with looks and ergonomics.

I got what you say and I'm sorry for my over-concern. This will be my first headphone amp and 110 bucks are not ''that'' cheap for a university student like me as far as I've already bought my X3ii, which was a fantastic value though. And since my K612 is a real power hungry, I'm literally wondering the K5 effect on X3ii as hell. My music taste is so dynamic (progressive, thrash metal and kinda stuff) so difference would be evident enough on certain parts I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back