FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Feb 18, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #376 of 744
Quote:

Did you use the spacer? I use it with the X7 all the time and it works fine and no damage or difficulty in using it. 

I haven't installed it yet. I read in the manual it mentioned it was for the E17K and X1 I believe? Didn't know if it would help with the X3, X5, etc.

the dock is more sturdy than you'd think. what sort of damage are you talking about?

Just some silver flakes that came out of my X3-II's connector and a tiny bit of paint chip on the edge. 

I just noticed there is a bit of a rocking mechanism that allows some play with the dock connector. That's some relief. It's just a bit weird I have to tilt the X3 forward for it to seat in the connector, followed by leaning it back before pressing down. I'm just worried I'll push down at the wrong angle one of these days and something will happen. Also, perhaps the connection is just a bit tight now, but will loosen up and allow easier docking in the future. I hope.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #377 of 744
Well I just got my RMA replacement from B&H. They were great, I sent it in on Monday and got a new one today, no question asked. Here is what I have found out. I am also leaning to the the same issues as posted by Katun. My micro USB connector in my X3II has been damaged by the K5 somehow. Prior to having the K5, I never had an issue with my usb port on my DAP. Now when I connect it to the micro usb cord that I have always used for it, I have to play with the connector for the PC to recognize the DAP. So by me inserting and removing the X3II from the K5 has done some damage to my X3II port.

The exact same conditions that I had with my previous K5 I'm having with the brand new one so I can eliminate the K5 as the problem, of course at this point it created the problem.

Not very happy about this. I have had many FIIO products and love their products. I had so much anticipation on this setup that I sold my X5 and bought an X3II just so I could use it in the K5.

I would have to be very careful about inserting a $200+ DAP in this at the risk of damaging your usb port.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #378 of 744
  Well I just got my RMA replacement from B&H. They were great, I sent it in on Monday and got a new one today, no question asked. Here is what I have found out. I am also leaning to the the same issues as posted by Katun. My micro USB connector in my X3II has been damaged by the K5 somehow. Prior to having the K5, I never had an issue with my usb port on my DAP. Now when I connect it to the micro usb cord that I have always used for it, I have to play with the connector for the PC to recognize the DAP. So by me inserting and removing the X3II from the K5 has done some damage to my X3II port.

The exact same conditions that I had with my previous K5 I'm having with the brand new one so I can eliminate the K5 as the problem, of course at this point it created the problem.

Not very happy about this. I have had many FIIO products and love their products. I had so much anticipation on this setup that I sold my X5 and bought an X3II just so I could use it in the K5.

I would have to be very careful about inserting a $200+ DAP in this at the risk of damaging your usb port.

My USB port appears to be damaged too on my X7, but I'm not sure if this is the K5's fault. I was wondering why sound would sometimes cut out of the left channel. I played around with the X7 and found that the positioning of the port was somehow interfering with the channels. When I plug the X7 directly into my laptop to use as a DAC, I have to sometimes bend it downwards. Otherwise, I only get sound out of the right channel. Sometimes if I bend it too much, I'll get more sound out of the left channel, but the right one never cuts out. This is a bit concerning to me. I might need to simply get a new module to get rid of this issue.

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #379 of 744

My USB port appears to be damaged too on my X7, but I'm not sure if this is the K5's fault. I was wondering why sound would sometimes cut out of the left channel. I played around with the X7 and found that the positioning of the port was somehow interfering with the channels. When I plug the X7 directly into my laptop to use as a DAC, I have to sometimes bend it downwards. Otherwise, I only get sound out of the right channel. Sometimes if I bend it too much, I'll get more sound out of the left channel, but the right one never cuts out. This is a bit concerning to me. I might need to simply get a new module to get rid of this issue.

You have to bend something down when not using with K5? How does the damage to the microUSB on X7 look like (can you describe/take a pic?)? 

From my observations:
1. Connecting the X7 can be tricky to get proper connection so both channels sound the same. The connection  is not as secure as I would like but I got used to it.
2. When inserting the X7 it's easy to make the connector catch the edge of the inner X7 socket (due to larger hole in the case) and pushing it down by force in this position can damage the X7. You should maneuver the device a bit until you feel the connector sliding into place. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #380 of 744

I don't think it is damaged, but having to bend it everytime I first turn on the device can’t possibly be good for the micro USB.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #381 of 744

I don't think it is damaged, but having to bend it everytime I first turn on the device can’t possibly be good for the micro USB.

I don't see any damage - the bump on the bottom is a part of 11pin micro usb connector.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #382 of 744

what are you bending, exactly?

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #383 of 744
  what are you bending, exactly?

I have to put pressure down on the USB cable after I've inserted it into the X7. I find that taking a phillips screwdriver and pushing up on the pins seems to fix the issue too. It's like the micro USB section of the module is moving around whenever I put it into my backpack or pocket. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #384 of 744

I have to put pressure down on the USB cable after I've inserted it into the X7. I find that taking a phillips screwdriver and pushing up on the pins seems to fix the issue too. It's like the micro USB section of the module is moving around whenever I put it into my backpack or pocket. 

have you tried another cable?

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #385 of 744
  have you tried another cable?

Yeah, I've tried both the cable that came with my X5 and the one that came with my phone.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #386 of 744
There is some good news. Fiio has said  they will soon make the 11 pin male  to 11pin male micro usb and it will be available with all distributors. It is been mentioned in the Fiio Forum.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #387 of 744
I sent FIIO help desk an email about the USB port on my X3 and what happened to it after docking into the K5. The port is definitely looser now after placing it in the K5 and my micro usb cord has quite a bit of movement in both axis now that it did not have before. Now i have to play around with it for it to go into DAC mode when plugged into my pc.

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #388 of 744
  I sent FIIO help desk an email about the USB port on my X3 and what happened to it after docking into the K5. The port is definitely looser now after placing it in the K5 and my micro usb cord has quite a bit of movement in both axis now that it did not have before. Now i have to play around with it for it to go into DAC mode when plugged into my pc.

it may be the POV, but yours does look a bit bend.
here's the port on my X7, also used with the dock, but no trouble with other cables:

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #389 of 744
that is a great comparison of the different locations of the usb port between the X3 and the X7. On the X7, it looks like it is right on the center of the unit. On my X3, the port is definitely closer to the front of the unit. Meaning the the back spacing between the 2 units is not the same, hence when you insert an X3 you have to play around with it the get the usb ports lined up to be inserted.

Still waiting on Fiio help desk to get back to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back