FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Feb 15, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #331 of 744
Works fine for me with X7 in dock and line out to a headphone amp.
I do find the K5 is somewhat noisy in terms of hum through other components using line out.

Now I have X3II 
1.connect with RCA input from PC (3.5mm to RCA) and connect RCA output = no sound
2.connect with X3II Dock input and Play USB DAC from PC, try again with RCA output = no sound
I don't know why, How it's work?

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #332 of 744

Now I have X3II 
1.connect with RCA input from PC (3.5mm to RCA) and connect RCA output = no sound
2.connect with X3II Dock input and Play USB DAC from PC, try again with RCA output = no sound
I don't know why, How it's work?

are you using the correct RCA ports?

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #333 of 744
I really hope this docking problem, which seems to be limited to the X3ii, gets resolved somehow. The features, styling and specs are outstanding at this price point and I would love to be able to purchase this amp again in the future. I wouldn't even mind if it didn't have the dock, but if it's there I want it to work! My only other gripe would be that the mini usb to mini usb cable should be included .If the pin assignments on the cable are proprietary as some users have suggested, then it really MUST be included.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #335 of 744
  Hi, I already have E17K, the one I dislike about E17K is the soundstage. 

Do this K5 will help to improve this?

P:s, Im getting TH X00 this May!

Ask your question / doubts to the Forum Member Brooko as he got both K5 and E17K at the moment.

Here his review http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-k5-desktop-headphone-amplifier/reviews/15203#comments-title

You can post your que at the comment section.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #337 of 744
  I really hope this docking problem, which seems to be limited to the X3ii, gets resolved somehow. The features, styling and specs are outstanding at this price point and I would love to be able to purchase this amp again in the future. I wouldn't even mind if it didn't have the dock, but if it's there I want it to work! My only other gripe would be that the mini usb to mini usb cable should be included .If the pin assignments on the cable are proprietary as some users have suggested, then it really MUST be included.

X3ii working just fine with K5 here.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #339 of 744

That's good to know. Did you have any trouble at all getting the X3ii to seat in the dock?

its kind of a tight fit. the usb connector on the dock seems to be able to move forward some, by design. i have been tilting the x3 forward some and carefully pressing it down onto the usb connector until its secure, then let it rest back

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #340 of 744

its kind of a tight fit. the usb connector on the dock seems to be able to move forward some, by design. i have been tilting the x3 forward some and carefully pressing it down onto the usb connector until its secure, then let it rest back

I tried that and did get it to go on the plug but it still didn't function properly. No amount of wiggling made any difference. It was at that point I decided to return the K5 for a refund.
I'm going to keep watching this thread to see what experience others are having. I may try buying another one and see if my luck improves.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #342 of 744

I just bought fiio k5 to pair with x3ii. Most of my music is kept in computer and sometimes i listen through sound cloud. Does usb cable comes along will be able to play the music through k5. My x3ii has to be docked when playing through laptop?

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #343 of 744
  When I have my E17K docked in the K5, I noticed that the bass and treble settings on the E17K no longer have any effect.  Is this by design, or is this a malfunction?

I don't have these, but I have the older brother, the E09K and E17. The E17 has a little switch on the side that, when enabled, allows the E09K to bypass its settings, including volume control.

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #344 of 744
Here is Headfonia's take on the K5:
http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-k5-fiios-budget-dock/

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #345 of 744
  Here is Headfonia's take on the K5:
http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-k5-fiios-budget-dock/

It's interesting that they say the AM2 sounds better than the K5. I'm curious as to how much better. I am starting to notice the differences between the K5 and Valhalla more. There's definitely something missing when listening with the K5, but the HD 650 happens to scale really well with gear. It's to be expected that Valhalla would sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back