Fiio K1, Fiio E10K, Fiio Q1 or Dragonfly black ?
Mar 10, 2017 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thomasHeinze

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,
I listen Jazz, Folk and slow rock with my IEM.
I'd like to add a DAC to my netbook  and I am wondering which of these to buy.
The K1 is the less expensive (about 50 E), the E10K and Q1 are in the middle (about 80 E) and the Dragonfly is more expensive (about 100 E).
I don't know wich to choose ... which is is the best buy for price/quality ??
Is it worth to spend more than the K1 using just IEM is the quality of sound different with the other more expensive DACs ?
Any other suggestion (under 100 E) is welcome.
No need to use with hedphones ... just IEM or (seldom) and old Technic AMP with old spekers
Thank you in advance.

T.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hi everybody,
I listen Jazz, Folk and slow rock with my IEM.
I'd like to add a DAC to my netbook  and I am wondering which of these to buy.
The K1 is the less expensive (about 50 E), the E10K and Q1 are in the middle (about 80 E) and the Dragonfly is more expensive (about 100 E).
I don't know wich to choose ... which is is the best buy for price/quality ??
Is it worth to spend more than the K1 using just IEM is the quality of sound different with the other more expensive DACs ?
Any other suggestion (under 100 E) is welcome.
No need to use with hedphones ... just IEM or (seldom) and old Technic AMP with old spekers
Thank you in advance.

T.

What IEMs are you using?

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 8

What IEMs are you using?

HI, Sennheiser CX 3.00, KZ-ATE, Xiomi Pistons, Ve Monk, maybe something better in the future.,,,
wink.gif

Thank you.

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 8
I would go with the E10k if you think you will never need a portable option, I would go with the dragonfly if you think you will never need an amp... and I would go with the Q1 if you think you will use your phone as a source on the go at some point.

Explanation:
E10k does not have an internal battery, and it cannot be used with a phone.  It does have an amp though.

Q1 has an internal battery, and still has a pretty good DAC chip in it.  Can be used on the go.

Dragonfly, I don't have it personally but people say the chip is better than what's in the Fiio options.  So if you want it purely for sound, go with this guy.

I would personally get something with an amp in it for "future proofing."  I'd hate to buy an awesome DAC only to need an amp as well.  You can always get an amp separate from the DAC, but I also use my stuff on the go a lot... I like hybrid solutions.

I'm new to high end audio though, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt :p

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Hi Newaudio, thank you for your reply.
Just one question, the battery (in case of Q1) is just for AMP or for DAC too ? Can I use it as a DAC even if the battery is empty ?

, I would go with the dragonfly if you think you will never need an amp... a

But the Dragonfly is a DAC and an AMP (similar E10) is it right ?
Thank you.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 8
  Hi Newaudio, thank you for your reply.
Just one question, the battery (in case of Q1) is just for AMP or for DAC too ? Can I use it as a DAC even if the battery is empty ?

But the Dragonfly is a DAC and an AMP (similar E10) is it right ?
Thank you.

Oh yeah, you're right!  I would go with that sucker if you don't need to use it with your phone.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 8
I have the AudioQuest Dragonfly.
It's a DAC/AMP all-in-one.  Sound is pretty good, but nothing amazing.
However, they really have a nice background (ie. no weird sound, hiss, or anything similar with sensitive IEMs).
Fiios' main advantage is that it can be used with a phone.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Would have to agree, I don't have the Dragonfly, but I imagine the sound is a little better than the Fiio Q1.  I almost think the Q1 and the E10k sound the exact same, they use the same DAC chip:  The PCM5102. The Dragonfly uses the ESS Sabre chip (not sure what precise model, but if you look into it I'm sure you can find it). Look into the chips themselves, and I imagine the amps will be good enough no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back