[FiiO FW5]HiFi True Wireless Armature Balanced Earbuds,96kHz/24bit Snapdragon Sound, LHDC support, Flagship TWS chip Qualcomm QCC5141 + independent AKM DAC/Amp AK4332
Apr 20, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #406 of 677
If you are sure that your phone supports lhdc, then:
1. Rename the headphones to fiio control (OnePlus or OPPO Enco X).
2. In the fiio control application, uncheck the sbc, aac, aptx, aptx-adaptive codecs, but leave a check mark only on lhdc.
3. The headphones will reconnect themselves and the lhdc should work, if this did not happen, then you can still try to cancel the pairing and reconnect.
4. If it doesn't work again, then most likely the phone doesn't support lhdc.

Funny, why don't you go directly to Settings-->System-->Advanced-->Developer options-->Bluetooth Audio Codec
You should be able to see lhdc option, if it is grayed out, then your fw5 firmware does not support lhdc.

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #408 of 677
LDAC and LHDC's spotty connection make it hard to listen to music if your phone is just in your pocket or if you're out and about. By all accounts it works best if you're at you're desk. And in that case why not use a wired set?

Aptx adaptive is pretty damn good anyway. I don't notice a significant difference in sq with that vs wired sets playing directly from my phone. A bit more dynamic but that's it. And those wired sets don't go loud enough. So the FW5 wins there.

However I'd never buy an sbc only tws. Significantly worse.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #409 of 677
Many phones does not support Aptx, Aptx-adaptive, lhdc, for example, iphone... But most modern cellphones support ldac.
They sound great on the iPhone, almost like on Android. The main thing is the amplification, conversion and how the drivers were configured in the case, everything else is secondary. The influence of codecs is greatly exaggerated.

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #410 of 677
LDAC and LHDC's spotty connection make it hard to listen to music if your phone is just in your pocket or if you're out and about. By all accounts it works best if you're at you're desk. And in that case why not use a wired set?

Aptx adaptive is pretty damn good anyway. I don't notice a significant difference in sq with that vs wired sets playing directly from my phone. A bit more dynamic but that's it. And those wired sets don't go loud enough. So the FW5 wins there.

However I'd never buy an sbc only tws. Significantly worse.
LDAC is much better now than it was a few yearss ago. I only ever have issues in a couple of places, at big train stations for example (Central) and not all the time. Not sure if that is BT congestion or other equipment interference. I even often enable the optimised for audio setting for LDAC and rarely have issues.

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #411 of 677
With the latest bluetooth implementation, even AAC with iPhone sounds close enough to wire. The DD + 2BA in FW5 plus the AKM DACs work so well together that their benefits outweigh whatever perceived improvement esoteric Bluetooth codecs can bring, IMHO.

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #412 of 677
Very bad. The codec is not a panacea for sound quality, they sound the same according to aptx-adaptive as they do according to lhdc.
The sound is good out of the box, but after correction... They are great, as close as possible to a good wired sound.IMG20230331194058.jpgIMG20230409220054.jpg
I'm curious, how do the Dunu S&S tips fit the FW5? Any comfort issues with the large nozzle of the IEM?
Have you tried to compare their sound with the HS18 and/or stock ones?

At this point, Fiio should either focus on releasing a LDAC capable firmware or at least create a small/portable USB-C Aptx Adaptive transmitter to go along its bluetooth capable portofolio. This last one would help with most devices not supporting Qualcomm's codec (mostly Samsung and Apple devices).

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #413 of 677
I'm curious, how do the Dunu S&S tips fit the FW5? Any comfort issues with the large nozzle of the IEM?
Have you tried to compare their sound with the HS18 and/or stock ones?

At this point, Fiio should either focus on releasing a LDAC capable firmware or at least create a small/portable USB-C Aptx Adaptive transmitter to go along its bluetooth capable portofolio. This last one would help with most devices not supporting Qualcomm's codec (mostly Samsung and Apple devices).
Unfortunately, I did not use the nozzles from dunu on the fw5. I go with TRI Clarion, I also tried spiral dot 9, they are also very good.
I consider the nozzle of the sound guide to be successful, everything fits perfectly in my ears (although it is very individual) and the nozzles sit cool.
I didn't like HS18 at all, the sound is bad, the low ones are greatly reduced, and the high ones, on the contrary, are raised, it turns out from the normal sound of the saw.
The black ones from the kit are quite normal, but I still didn't like them.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #414 of 677
Hello @FiiO ! LHDC is not working on my phones!
Phone "Realme 9 5g" - connection is only APTX. After switching the mode to LHDC in the Fiio Control app, AptX is reset to SBC mode, and I can switch back to AptX only by hard resetting FW5.
The second Axon 40 Ultra phone. When connected, Snapdragon Sound is determined, and AptX Adaptive. After switching the mode to LHDC in the Fiio Control app, AptX Adaptive is reset to SBC mode, and you can also switch back to AptX Adaptive only by hard resetting FW5.

LHDC in FW5 is fake? Why doesn't the Fiio Control app work and only makes things worse?
Dear friend,
Does your mobile phone support LHDC 3.0?
In my mobile phone, the LHDC connection with FW5 will work after enabling the LHDC switch in the Bluetooth page of the mobile phone:
1682324777413.jpeg
1682324821740.jpeg
1682324841876.jpeg

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 2, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #415 of 677
To my taste it is pointless.

Your Pros (Mics and app) are things we fight against here (to be more pedantic, we have already stopped to fight, our expectations are broken) .

And your Cons - tip dependency - is also about nothing: FW5 are excellent here as far as they have got sufficiently big nozzles to use wired IEMs tips collection everybody here has accumulated during ages. For example, I use my favourite ones - Acoustune AET07 (KBEAR 07), and it is very handy.

What is the aim of such reviews? Is it just paid work? Or is it an attempt to help music lovers make valid decision? I still hope the last, but not sure.

May 2, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #416 of 677
Not sure why you (the reviewer) would choose to use LHDC or SBC over aptX adaptive for gaming due to lag as both have higher latency.

There is also a dedicated Game Mode in the App.

SBC = 200ms

aptX Adaptive = 50-80ms

Bluetoth Codecs -Comparisons.png

Cannot find Latency info for LHDC apart from in this video.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #417 of 677
To my taste it is pointless.

Your Pros (Mics and app) are things we fight against here (to be more pedantic, we have already stopped to fight, our expectations are broken) .

And your Cons - tip dependency - is also about nothing: FW5 are excellent here as far as they have got sufficiently big nozzles to use wired IEMs tips collection everybody here has accumulated during ages. For example, I use my favourite ones - Acoustune AET07 (KBEAR 07), and it is very handy.

What is the aim of such reviews? Is it just paid work? Or is it an attempt to help music lovers make valid decision? I still hope the last, but not sure.
Thanks for the input. I understand your point about the microphones, but I have reviewed a lot of TWS in the last 3 years and unfortunately the microphone and call quality is often below our expectations in designs without awkward rods. I think this is a physical rather than software problem and the solution is reflected in the cost, at least that is my impression. Some companies can find much more costly solutions to overcome this, such as software-supported solutions, AI solutions, etc., but all of these affect the cost/end user. I write my own thoughts and experiences in my reviews. The microphone of the FW5 does not do a bad job for a rod-less design, which is why I mentioned it in my review. On a side note, I have no idea what you don't like about the Control app.

Not sure why you (the reviewer) would choose to use LHDC or SBC over aptX adaptive for gaming due to lag as both have higher latency.

There is also a dedicated Game Mode in the App.

SBC = 200ms

aptX Adaptive = 50-80ms

Bluetoth Codecs -Comparisons.png

Cannot find Latency info for LHDC apart from in this video.

I experienced each one individually and wrote the article accordingly.

May 5, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #418 of 677
Today we take a close look at the FiiO FW5 on Headfonia.
How much were you paid for this?
Why is there no real information about the useless software part?
Communication keeps dropping out for no reason.
The whole internet says that microphones are s**t, but yours are great.
If a newbie reads your opus, then, naturally, he will have a desire to buy it. Few people look for truthful information long and hard.

May 28, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #419 of 677
Looks like Fiio forgot all about the FW5. No new updates in quite a while:confused:

@FiiO any update on a new firmware? At least on transparency mode or with a bit better LHDC support. On a friend's OnePlus it works (with a bit spotty performance at times) but on my Poco M3 (latest firmware) it doesn't work at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back