[FiiO FW5]HiFi True Wireless Armature Balanced Earbuds,96kHz/24bit Snapdragon Sound, LHDC support, Flagship TWS chip Qualcomm QCC5141 + independent AKM DAC/Amp AK4332
Jan 5, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #226 of 668
Fully Integrated True Wireless Earbuds, FiiO FW5
Chapter 5 How can we brag about the technology when it is from the same supplier?

Someone once said that except for Huawei, the technology of mobile phone manufacturers was provided by the same suppliers, so there is nothing worth flaunting.

We don't know others. Anyway, the whole R&D process of our FW5 really tortured our engineers even with the supplier's technologies.

See, the Bluetooth chip comes from Qualcomm in the US, the balanced armature comes from Knowles in the US, and the DAC chip comes from AKM in Japan. What FiiO does is to integrate these technologies together.

Moreover, as mentioned earlier, in order to reduce project risks and ensure time-to-market, the charging case used the ready-made mold of the FW1, and the ID design borrowed the FD5's. The software and hardware actually came from solutions of the UTWS5. And the 1 dynamic driver 2 balanced armature acoustic architecture is also a very mature solution in FiiO's IEM product line.

However, I think it is still reasonable for us to be somewhat proud.

Because in the actual R&D process, we found that the integration of the FW5 far exceeds the combination of the UTWS5+FH3. As a result, dealing with the quality of Bluetooth signals (this is why the FW5 adopts the FD5's appearance yet without a metal shell), and ensuring the acoustic structure (mainly due to structural and technological limitations) faced big challenges, because there are 3 drivers that have to be placed in such a tiny space.

We were making unprecedented TWS earbuds. There were many difficulties in engineering, which is the main reason why it took us almost 2 years to complete.

Of course, there is also a very simple solution to make TWS that will only take about a month. The most commonly-seen solution for making TWS earbuds that most HiFi brands would take is to develop a driver by themselves, refine the acoustic design, and introduce the tuning and diaphragm. But it will never solve issues like high noise floor and low output power that are often seen in average TWS earbuds. To be honest, they have fewer differences compared to those TWS earbuds made by mobile phone manufacturers and some other big brands with sound quality as the biggest selling point. It's more of a style difference.

From the FW5, we can see some obvious characteristics below.

1. It is definitely an innovative fully integrated HiFi TWS architecture from Bluetooth decoding to the independent DAC/Amp, and to the acoustic architecture with one dynamic driver and 2 balanced armatures.

2. Although the appearance of the charging case is not so attractive, it is completely self-designed and molded by our team (This is also the reason why we don't have more budget to invest in another mold for the charging case. It seems it's so simple, but a set of molds would cost tens of thousands of dollars).

3. The FW5 comes with an absolutely recognizable earbud appearance, ensuring that it won't be similar to other TWS on the market. I personally like it very much.

4. Although it is also an integration of supplier technologies, the ID, structure, software, hardware, and acoustics are all self-developed by FiiO, and are also produced and assembled by FiiO itself.

Therefore, if this method works, there will be a sunshine avenue in the future. We can rely on our own technology accumulation in TWS products, and use our independent R&D capabilities to develop a TWS that is clearly differentiated from mobile phone brands in all aspects. This is the only way we can think of to survive, and also the meaning that FiiO TWS and FiiO brand are qualified to exist in the market. We will fight for users who enjoy HiFi, trying our best to develop some innovative products that small manufacturers cannot do, and big manufacturers are unwilling to make.
1672905780211.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 5, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #228 of 668
FW5 far exceeds the combination of the UTWS5+FH3.

Indeed. The tuning and technical performance of FW5 is better than FH3 no doubt.

Is there anything Fiio can do to make the volume button responsive like the buttons on BTR5? The current volume buttons are too insensitive that they are not useful.

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #229 of 668
Indeed. The tuning and technical performance of FW5 is better than FH3 no doubt.
Can't agree

I've got my FW5 yesterday.

And do not like it at all. I think it is fail from Fiio.
I was owning a lot fiio products (FH3, FH7, FD5, btr5, btr7, K9, K5 pro, and planning to go with Q7).
And always feel and touch was super.
For FW5 it feels like cheap plastic, sorry.

Also, the sound is very flat and not deep in combination with my Samsung s10.
I expect something close to FH3 as 2xBA + dynamic, but no. For me, it is far, far behind FH3.

My Europe dealer fiio-shop.de refused for return, because it is IEM.
"IEM sind gemäß unseren AGB's, sowie gemäß des Hygienesigels auf der Verpackung, vom Widerruf ausgeschlossen." (C) fiio-shop.de

For me, it's strange, as I can't check the device before opening it. Amazon always accepts such returns, Fiio not. ok.

I will then list it here later this day. Maybe someone will be interested to buy new with discount.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #230 of 668
Can't agree

I've got my FW5 yesterday.

And do not like it at all. I think it is fail from Fiio.
I was owning a lot fiio products (FH3, FH7, FD5, btr5, btr7, K9, K5 pro, and planning to go with Q7).
And always feel and touch was super.
For FW5 it feels like cheap plastic, sorry.

Also, the sound is very flat and not deep in combination with my Samsung s10.
I expect something close to FH3 as 2xBA + dynamic, but no. For me, it is far, far behind FH3.

My Europe dealer fiio-shop.de refused for return, because it is IEM.
"IEM sind gemäß unseren AGB's, sowie gemäß des Hygienesigels auf der Verpackung, vom Widerruf ausgeschlossen." (C) fiio-shop.de

For me, it's strange, as I can't check the device before opening it. Amazon always accepts such returns, Fiio not. ok.

I will then list it here later this day. Maybe someone will be interested to buy new with discount.

Agree to disagree here. I also have most of the Fiio gear in your collection and have reviewed FH3 and FD5 in depth here before (both are critical). I think FW5's tuning and the cross-over of two super tweeters all the way up at 15kHz are an achievement in sound quality amongst Fiio's IEMs, TWS or not.

I guess at least you know not to trust my reviews in the future since we seem to listen differently :dt880smile: Best of luck with the selling.

Edit: I mean, FW5 projects a larger soundstage than my AirPods Pro gen 1 with personalised spatial audio on. Even FD5 cannot do that.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #232 of 668
There is a problem with the parametric equalizer. I enter data at intervals, conditionally: 35, 200, 600, etc., literally works for a while, and then all the data disappears and the graph becomes smooth. You can also exit the application and download it again, it will be the same - the equalizer data will disappear.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #234 of 668
Mine landed yesterday and have been using them a bit since. Fit is really good, I didn't think I'd have a problem with this shape as the Morph Infinniconnect was similar and had no issues there.

Stock Fiio 18 tips are working best for me. The 'balanced' tips give a bit more rumble at no real expense to other elements but the 18's fit a lil better.

Detail is fantastic, but I agree bass could be a bit more powerful (I haven't eq'd yet). Bass isn't lacking though, but considering the soundstage and detail of mids and highs I feel like kick drums have more room to attack.

No connection or firmware issues.

Overall impression is that Fiio is right to be proud of these. They are speedy and more energetic than the ZE8000 I'm bouncing between atm. I feel like clarity is comparable and that the music is just being presented in a different way.

More listening is required as I've only based my opinions off about an hour of usage.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #235 of 668
Mine landed yesterday and have been using them a bit since. Fit is really good, I didn't think I'd have a problem with this shape as the Morph Infinniconnect was similar and had no issues there.

Stock Fiio 18 tips are working best for me. The 'balanced' tips give a bit more rumble at no real expense to other elements but the 18's fit a lil better.

Detail is fantastic, but I agree bass could be a bit more powerful (I haven't eq'd yet). Bass isn't lacking though, but considering the soundstage and detail of mids and highs I feel like kick drums have more room to attack.

Overall impression is that Fiio is right to be proud of these. They are speedy and more energetic than the ZE8000 I'm bouncing between atm. I feel like clarity is comparable and that the music is just being presented in a different way.

More listening is required as I've only based my opinions off about an hour of usage.
If you have some wide bore tips, try the FW5 with them. With the Azla Sedna Earfit it improved things a little bit for me.
You'll also see a positive change in audio after the first week of usage. That dynamic driver needs to work a little bit :)

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #236 of 668
Mine was a Neg SQ after 2-3 days, not sure what changed, since then tried the new FW/APP, rolled my own tips.

I stand by what I said before the, SQ initially was the only thing these had going from them IMO and one way or the other I do not see me having them long.

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #237 of 668
If you have some wide bore tips, try the FW5 with them. With the Azla Sedna Earfit it improved things a little bit for me.
You'll also see a positive change in audio after the first week of usage. That dynamic driver needs to work a little bit :)
I've tried them with some different tips, I think I have the azla sedna crystal, and the block + ones from Nuarl that work pretty well on other buds. The hs18 mediums still seem to work the best. Didn't notice a big sound difference but thought I likes the deeper bore of the stock vs azla.

Looking forward to the sound evolution. It would be nice if everyone had access to this experience, alas. But one thing I've learnt from the last two purchases is if you have been blown away by a tws before chances are a slightly better one isn't going to give you that same feeling. These are definitely better than others I've heard but in incremental areas that aren't as exciting as that first time of sonic ecstasy. But if you're coming from a low or mid range tws I think you'll be impressed and maybe even have your mind blown a little.

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #238 of 668
Mine was a Neg SQ after 2-3 days, not sure what changed, since then tried the new FW/APP, rolled my own tips.

I stand by what I said before the, SQ initially was the only thing these had going from them IMO and one way or the other I do not see me having them long.
I'm having a good time with mine but I agree with you, if the sq isn't working properly I don't see what else you have to gain from these. I'll see if mine changes for the worst too but so far so good.

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #239 of 668

I think after burn in the bass problem should be fixed

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #240 of 668
There is a problem with the parametric equalizer. I enter data at intervals, conditionally: 35, 200, 600, etc., literally works for a while, and then all the data disappears and the graph becomes smooth. You can also exit the application and download it again, it will be the same - the equalizer data will disappear.
Yep im having the same issue @FiiO please fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back