FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,206 of 2,767
Some FiiO Bliss :wink:
20221217_142306.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #2,207 of 2,767
So, I just got mine FH9 today. Here are some short first impressions:

Out of the box they sound really good, very musical very emotional with great amount of details. Using the default black filters and the default tips my first impression is really good. Pairing it with FiiO K5 Pro (min gain) it gives them more than enough power.

Coming form KZ ZS10 the sound on FH9 is more detailed the tonality is better and they sound just a bit more lively too. Nice surprise is the big soundstage and the open feel in my ears. Suddenly the bass is not causing this pressure in my ears like ZS10 (which I did not mind to be honest) but its definitely less fatiguing this way. The lower isolation is also a plus for me as I can hear ok in case there is some emergency around me :) The packaging is excellent, all accessories really nothing to complain about, very solid materials everywhere, the cable is fantastic too. It feels more like 2k IEM. I love the weight.. yes its quite heavy but its small and its so nice it just feels so solid and beautifully made. Once I put them on I do not feel the weight / I dont mind it at all. The fit into my smaller ears is perfect. Absolutely no complains here either.

Now as always nothing is perfect. Although the details, clarity and soundstage sound so good there is still something lacking. Once you look at the graph its obvious. The downsize here is the sub-bass region. Its there, its great but its not enough. The frequencies below 150hz need some push at least to my ears but this same is showing their graph.

Dont forget that I am coming form D7200, D700 and ZS10 (which bass is fantastic too) the FH9 out of the box is missing the deep punch here. Well this is no problem for me as I am going to use these 90% of the time sitting on my computer plus I really like to EQ all my headphones to my perfection. Within first 2 hours I have made some adjustments and now I can really confirm that these are some kicking ass ninjas. Now, the sound has proper punch, everything is sounding just right for me. Very happy with the small EQ adjustment results plus I have not tested the green tips yet (thats why i also slightly EQ treble region) plus they still need some serious burning time (expecting some slight improvement here too) plus I have not experienced with the other tips yet.

Forgot to mention... the default tips (not sure what is their name) they sounded crap. Yes, there was absolutely no bass not even mid-bass. Right away I have tried my foam tips I purchased recently from sonicfoam.com and the improvement was significant. The seal is great, comfort likewise and the bass is way more present now (this was before I EQ them). The mid-bass was really good but still lacking the sub-bass quite a bit so here go my EQ settings.

With the EQ the bass remind me D7200 which I cannot get enough. Its deep, its soft, its punchy its well textured ... just perfect to my ears. Now the same experience with FH9. Very happy with my purchase, I was expecting quality and they definitely delivered. I cant wait to hear from them more and how they improve in upcoming days / weeks. Not sure if I carry on with my iem journey but I think I am fine for 1-2 years :)

(also purchased a short extension cable from amazon as I needed a bit more length, this is shown on the photo its very good and ideal for my setup)

Happy Weekend Listening :)
If you want to know the perfect guilty pleasure 🥰😇

News from the front and boys, it is excellent!!! No, exceptional. Frankly I'm excited, and here's why... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :

1/ Gel cat paws tips, Wide bore, finally secure !!!!...

So these are my reference tips with these FH9 (this version : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CWU-G...1e-896b-c828b6e3143f&pd_rd_i=B0991KN61T&psc=1).

but... the "central tube" is a bit short, which obliges to push them in a certain way on the cannula, not completely... and to say the truth, I found it a bit boring to speak clearly... :sleepy:

Here's the solution ! :beerchug:

Be careful with this ring, you have to be precise: about 2mm thick.

To cut it, you need :

- chopsticks
- a knife with a very sharp blade, and easy to handle
- former tips not as to your size, made in soft silicone, and black while you're at it... for the look and the continuity with the cat's paws look. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: However, the question of soft silicone is important. When the silicone is hard, or some other material, I found that the sound was degraded.

In pictures :

So you put the tip to be sacrificed on a chopstick, you put your blade on, then you turn around while cutting, so that it is straight and clean...

Previous essay (too thick! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:):

For the right placement on the intras on the cannula, you must obtain this:

At the bottom of the cannula, the "small silver circle" should be visible...

...just flush with the "umbrella" (dome) of the tip = ideal embedding.

Inside:

And therefore in front of :

Precisely:

Here is the ultimate in luxury, not only do you have a 100% secure fit... but the sound quality is slightly improved! Sound and bass insulation (qty). Indeed, the small gap on the cannula that was not covered before is finally covered... and so you get your cake and eat it too.

And there's more to come....

2/ The "piece of tape" mod
Well... we're not talking about the Scottish drink, but about a ridiculously simple mod... and incredibly effective! :beerchug:

Cover the small vent with a small piece of tape... transparent so that it looks nice !!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Closer :

Until now I had not done so because I was afraid of an iem becoming too bassy and losing its sovereign tonal balance.

Well, Hell Yeah !!! It works !!!! :L3000:

It's quite complicated to describe. Do it and you'll understand, but if I have to try to describe what happens, in several points:

- Infra and sub gain bass in impact, presence, texture, PHYSICALITY, rumble, pressure felt, power, precision, hold...
- The level of the bass remains the same, simply, all that is indicated in the first point applies!
- No auditory discomfort at all. Because the sound pressure is managed by the semi-open back!
- The general sound balance remains unchanged, simply, all that is indicated in the very first point applies plently !
- Sound insulation is a little better
- The sound image (virtual soundstage) becomes a very marked 3D bubble, and very deep, very raised. Naturally.
- Generally speaking, the timbres are more solid, as if "filled", very materialized, with also a fantastic separation and localization, 3D wise, X,Y, Z axis. You can literally "turn around the sounds".
- Set up the green filters!
- Set up the cat's paws as described above!...

And you get a real TOTL without any dispute... except for those who don't agree! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::deadhorse:

A short time ago, I tried the Fir Kr5 which to this day are the most physical low end uiems that I have listened to, all prices (3000 bucks new, 2000 second hand, or even a little less if you look a little bit...) or technos combined. But I also reproached them a perfectible tonal homogeneity and a little lack of balance, a low medium a little generous, and a top high end a little "hot"...

In the configuration described above (cat's paws tips wide bore gel secured + vents closed), perfect or almost perfect tonal balance, rumbling bass (etc: everything is already written, I won't start again... :beyersmile:), definition as well as the best TOTL level, resolution, no harshness.... it's sublime. And without any defect I can detect.

In terms of "physicality", and of the bass and [commitment of the reproduction in general, if I place the Kr5 at 100 (especially for the bass), I place these FH9's thus modded at 90, and for the rest at 95. Except that it is never "hot", or "aggressive", nor too intense. It's impeccable. Also because the tonal balance is impeccable...

It's a good idea to have some extra fun if you want to : I've done it, and frankly, I know that these intras will be my best standard (any prices, any technologies, any brands...) for the years to come... :beerchug:
News about that, second part.

The "tape mod" is officially becoming the "PQ mod" (this term is a french joke... but it is serious... ) :

Thanks a lot for @Aldo40 (Fred), Alambics Ears mad scientist and owner : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ala...read-mentawai-mavericks-mundaka-noosa.954667/ :beerchug:

Various values, from least to most filtering (500)....

In place (it's tiny):

1948.jpg

I put up the 500 on. Since it's for replacing a piece of tape, by nature completely "cloaking"

So I had seen these filters on the Lafeuill Fh9's, and of course I was very interested. 👍

And so @Aldo40 kindly sent me some.

This can otherwise be found on Ali :

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.73.3dde5e5bBPS8TQ&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

Normally, it is used inside the iems. It is glued (sticker). And it is of course reversible.

The idea is to filter, without clogging.

Better... You can even tune the vents... 😛

Otherwise the result?

Well, we have both the benefits of the open and closed structure. 😎🤯😍👍

With the blocked vents on the Fh9, you have a maximum of pressure created at the front of the DD (inside the chamber shell), and which thus goes out by the cannula. Hence an unpleasant effect in some cases. If the deal is deep or really closed (tips wise), it gives this suction cup effect (because of the piston movement of the DD). Logical.

The "PQ mod" allows to keep the supercharged tuning at the bottom, obtained thanks to the scotch mod, but without these inconveniences of "over pressure" at the front of the DD (the back being open on the Fh9). Also the soundstage becomes more open, but also more dense. Only advantages. :sweat_smile:

Enjoy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #2,208 of 2,767
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #2,209 of 2,767
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #2,210 of 2,767
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #2,211 of 2,767
Did you notice any difference with the standard fiio cable ?
Yes the midrange is smoother, upper midrange is slightly more forward, bass is faster 🙂

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #2,212 of 2,767
Dec 17, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #2,213 of 2,767
PXL_20221217_135619782.MP.jpg

First extended listening session with the FH9 and AZLA SednaEarfit. Source is a Shanling M6 Ultra. It seems these boost the sub bass a bit, which was a nice surprise. I didn't sense much of a difference anywhere else in the frequency range, but I'll definitely take what they give. Not that the FH9 needs much help in the sub bass region, imo, but it made me smile. They also seem to be more comfortable *than the CP100 for me. Note, that's the CP100, not the CP100+. Listening now to my FH7 with the *SednaEarfit and they seem to do the same with the sub bass but make take a little bite out of the lower treble? With the kind of music I listen to, I'll take that ALL DAY LONG.

I wasn't going into these thinking they'd displace the CP100, but here we are, lol.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2,214 of 2,767
Sounds good 😎👍

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #2,215 of 2,767
So, spent most of the weekend listening to FH9, gave them proper burning (currently around 20 hours in). I have been experimenting with its filters, EQ settings and mostly listen to all kinds of genres. I must say they keep impressing me and are really special. These are a great all rounder to listen to anything.

Note, I have not experimented with various tips yet only tried most of them for shorter period of time, this is something I would do in next few days. I will also try different sources but so far my K5 Pro sound more then enough to drive these really well. I do not use any gain just stick to its minimum setting. The sound is very clear and detailed.
There is so much details that sometimes it is actually hurting some of the songs as the poor recordings are showing right away with these, there is no masking. Finding out that even my great flac collection has its flaws :D. When listening of some interviews / documents I can hear micro details coming from microphones that I dont hear with other sets.

My preferred setup are the green filters with a bit of EQ settings (mostly for sub-bass region and slight treble adjustment). Here are my latest EQ settings attached.

I have watched / read some reviews and more users saying that the green filters are just too much for them. Is this your case too?
I found them very well set just at the edge of being too much / harsh and be ok to listen to. This also means it gives you the amazing openness and airiness to everything I play. My previous EQ settings were way higher in treble region but as the burning process was going on plus I have tested many tracks for treble (inc. some high female vocals, lot of rock plus some classics) I was cutting the treble EQ lower and lower. Yes, I found few songs that were sounding a bit too shouty but still not ear piercing or anything like that more like just a bit more fatiguing. Anyway, understand that everybody has different preferences and tolerances too.

Now, only for the sub-bass I still think they are greatly benefiting from the sub-bass EQ push. Without it the bass is ok but no where near the bass head / Denon region that I might prefer. More likely the default bass settings are towards the reference / neutral in my opinion. This applies to the sub-bass only the mid-bass I think has nice presence, no work necessary here :wink:

Just saying with the sub-bass push these sound like proper monster iem. The bass is very well done, textured, soft and fast. I understand why FiiO did not want to make this too present, they were aiming more at neutral / musical presentation than fun. I am just saying if you give the bass a bit of boost they will bite you good. So, if you want to add a bit of fun presence and have some more impact try the EQ.

Can anybody confirm what is the adequate burning in period for these?
Can I still expect some improvements over the time?

Attachments

• FiiO_FH9_equilizerV2.JPG
    FiiO_FH9_equilizerV2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 19, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #2,216 of 2,767
Green filters too, acoustic filters (value 500) on vents (try this 👍), tips Canal Works 肉球 Gel Wide Bore = perfecto.

I will try some cable rolling, next.

I'm still thinking the stock cable is excellent (sound, ergonomics, general quality), but... I want to know 😛🍻

For the burning process, as the time flies, you'll get a more open and refined sound.

And yes, these are really GREAT products, any prices, any technologies.... 😎😎😎

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #2,217 of 2,767
Green filters too, acoustic filters (value 500) on vents (try this 👍), tips Canal Works 肉球 Gel Wide Bore = perfecto.

I will try some cable rolling, next.

I'm thinking the cable stock is excellent (sound, ergonomics, general quality), but... I want to know 😛🍻

For the burning process, as the time flies, you'll get a more open and refined sound.

And yes, these are really GREAT products, any prices, any technologies.... 😎😎😎
In general especially in the last couple of years FiiO equipment whether it be IEM's, DAP's, Desktop Amps, Bluetooth dongles etc. offer excellent value for money :wink:

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #2,218 of 2,767
Absolutly right. :beyersmile:
They became dangerous lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::beerchug:

Dec 19, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #2,219 of 2,767
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,220 of 2,767
Just wondering why most of you guys are using silicon tips?

I have briefly tried most of the accessory tips but I find my foam tips I purchased from sonicfoam.com providing better seal than silicon.
Also I like the comfort. For now I do prefer these foam tips over the rest of the silicon tips FH9 is providing.
But I might purchase and try the SpinFit W1.

What is the advantage of silicon tips over the foam tips?
Soundwise for now I have not noticed any significant difference (only recognized better seal). Its quite difficult to compare these tips as it takes more
time to take them on / off .... do the A/B testing.

I like the fact that foam can handle a bit of sweat no problem where the silicon with a little bit of sweat is loosing the seal and getting loose.
For the foam tips I do not like that it takes more time to put them on properly, here the silicon is more handy.

I can see a lot of info between various types of silicon tips but no comparisons with foam tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back