Fiio FH5 Upgrade - warmer, better Soundstage
Apr 14, 2019 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

maira

500+ Head-Fier
Im looking for an Upgrade for my FH5.

- I would love it a bit warmer (not darker if that makes sense..).

- not as mid-centric and vocal forward.

- a tad smother, the BA drivers can get a little hard sounding sometimes. Overall im missing ´charm´ in the sound

- a bit bigger Soundstage

- better fit, as they dont stay well in the ear.

price: As cheap as possible, maybe up to 500 Euro.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 7

- a tad smother, the BA drivers can get a little hard sounding sometimes. Overall im missing ´charm´ in the sound

You might look into the Campfire line. There are a couple of good ones in your general price range that could potentially work. Not sure how much warmth you are looking for, but maybe read about a couple of these and see if you think one might meet your fancy. Campfire is a terrific company, IMO. Another in this price range that I really like is the IT04, but it is not especially warm, IMO. FWIW. Good luck.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for your answer. As far as i know the only campfire iems in Europe in my price range are Comet and Orion. I am a bit unsure, if this really would be a step up... .

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your answer. As far as i know the only campfire iems in Europe in my price range are Comet and Orion. I am a bit unsure, if this really would be a step up... .
Ah--I see. Have looked at a Noble Sage? It is a bit over budget but is really terrific-sounding. You might read about it and see what you think. I suppose there are always the Shures and the Senns as well. Not sure how you feel about them.

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 7
You may want to look at Westone, specifically the UM series. They are definitely on the warm side. Ergonomically, they are great and with foam tips they stay in the ear very well. The Westones are comparable with Shure for size and fit. While a bit over your price point, one other IEM to look at is the Empire Ears Bravado at US$699. It's a 2-driver IEM, 1x DD and 1x BA, and it sounds great and fits great. Understand everyone has price points, but saving just a little more for something like the Bravado or the Sage may be worth it in the longer run.

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 7
I know you said 500€, but if you're willing to push that a little bit, the Westone UM Pro 50 might fit your needs. They're $650USD (575€), though I don't know if that's the actual EU price.

I'd describe the bass as quite warm, though if you listen to a lot of electronic or hip-hop it might not satisfy. For rock or jazz, the bass is pretty great. The treble is quite articulate, but it doesn't seem emphasized like on, say, Beyerdynamics. It doesn't have a lower-treble / upper-mids emphasis that a lot of 'phones have, which makes the UM Pro 50 sound a little less "exciting" at first listen, though that impression lessens with time. My experience is that the included foam tips caused the sound to be pretty dark (truncated treble), but pretty much any other tips fixed that for me... Everybody's experience differs, or course. With Comply or silicone tips I'd never call them dark, though.

I don't think they're mid-centric, per se, but the mids don't sound recessed either. The un-emphasized upper-mids / low-treble make them almost entirely fatigue free, at least to my ear. I do think the mids sit slightly below the bass/warmth region, though.

What exactly do you mean by "smoother," "hard," and "charm?" Those are all really subjective terms and what sounds that way to you might not sound so to me. The UM Pro 50 are BA and sound like BA (very articulate treble, highly detailed and textured, very detailed bass; not "romantic" like the HD 650), I guess, but the un-emphasized upper-mids / low-treble plus warm bass go a long way in making them very listenable, in my book.

I have no idea what the FH5's soundstage is like, but I was surprised by the UM Pro 50. In some ways it's actually larger than my open headphones (Senn HD 650 and Beyer DT 1990), but it mostly extends laterally without much depth or height. I'd say depth and height are comparable to other earphones I've heard.

Again, no idea what the FH5 is like, but the Westone are fairly deep insertion with an over-ear wearing style. I've never thought they were going to fall out. I find the included to foam to be pretty uncomfortable, but with any other tips I can wear them for hours. I recently went on an eleven hour flight and using Comply was able to wear them for almost the entire time without much problem.

This made me laugh a little. Different strokes for different folks! I'd call "as cheap as possible," like, $50 or less, and "maybe up to 500 Euro" to be borderline absurd. Maybe I'm a horrible cheapskate.

Anyway, hope this helps some. Good luck with the hunt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back